chapter forty two

Porcelain Body
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*chapter forty two;

 

Soah put the tea leaves in the dip net and let it sink into the mug. The water was steaming, filling her nose with a delicious scent of green tea mixed with lemon – Luhan’s favorite. After throwing two pieces of sugar in the water, she closed the box and put the rest of the leaves away. A slight smile played around her lips when she imagined his reaction as soon as she presented him what she had prepared. She knew he’d be happy for every kind of distraction now.

The past weeks, Luhan and Soah had been rarely seeing each other. When Christmas passed, Luhan decided to fully focus on his studies and she was totally supporting him. Too good did Soah know how it was like to get dreams destroyed, so she didn’t want to prevent her boyfriend from following and fulfilling what he’s been working on so hard. It was his dream, his biggest wish and she’d help wherever she could, even if that meant to stay away from him. This wasn’t a phase which would last forever though. As soon as the SAT’s were over, they had all the time in the world to catch up on everything they’ve been lacking on doing together.

However, today was a special day. That was why Soah was standing in his grandmother’s kitchen, although they agreed not to see each other in the week before his exams.

“I’m glad you decided to stop by today.” A soft voice was heard behind her and when she turned around, Luhan’s grandmother stood in the door frame, smiling at her encouragingly. “He always says he needs to study and doesn't want any distractions, not even me, but god, he’s a guy, who doesn’t want to be distracted by his girlfriend? Tomorrow is his big day. He can’t tell anyone that the last person he wants to see is you. Besides.. I bet he can’t concentrate at all and is more into dreaming than studying.”

Soah laughed and the old woman joined her. “I bet he does.”

“So, how are you, Soah?”

“I’m fine.” She shrugged. “I began to study and prepare for school again to bring my grades up, repeating everything we’ve learned the past year to understand it better and deepen the topic. It’s just a dream, but maybe, when I put enough effort in it, I can make it into the top three.” She lowered her head shyly. “As I said.. it’s just a dream and I don’t even dare to imagine it.”

Luhan’s grandmother came nearer and put an arm around the girl’s shoulder, comforting her like that. “Soah, why in the world would you think like that? That dreams rarely come true? Just believe it. Believe that dreams come true, because they do. Everyday. Remember when Luhan’s dream was to have you as his girlfriend? And now you’re standing here in my kitchen, preparing tea for my grandson like you didn’t do anything other in your life before.”

Soah blushed and smiled dreamily. She looked in the cup and watched a part of her face being reflected in the water. “That’s true.”

Maybe she could dare to dream once. It couldn’t be that wrong to have a dream and chase after it with everything you had – like Luhan. He had been crushing on her for five years and although she rejected him twice, he never gave up. She was still impressed. Encouraged by that, she would work hard, put so much effort into her studies until she was absolutely sure that she did her best. And even if she would fall down hard after failing – more than giving her best was not possible. She would chase after her dream and join Luhan in university.

Yet, there was another dream she was wishing for. Something she didn’t even dare to think of, because it was so childish, almost unimaginable right now. In thoughts, her hand automatically wandered to her cleavage and touched the green stone on her necklace.

“Ah, I see..” The woman looked at the jewelry with a warm smile. “It used to be mine.”

“It was?” Luhan mentioned that the women in his family wore it before, but Soah didn’t know it was from his grandmother’s in Korea.

“Yes. Before it was mine, my mother used to wear it and before her, her mother did as well. I gave it to Luhan’s mum, my daughter in law, when she announced her engagement with his father.” She grinned. “So, practically, this means..”

Soah looked at her with widened eyes, her cheeks slowly turning into a bright shade of pink before she quickly turned away. When his mother used to wear it, and the other woman in the family… that would really prove true what she had been always thinking. Oddly, his mother had given it to her at such a young age. Soah grabbed the pot handle tightly while fixating her face in the liquid. Practically, that would really mean, that..

“So, this means..”

Soah let out an embarrassed, quiet squeal and took the mug in her hand, lifting it up before taking a few steps backwards. “I’m going to Luhan!” She cut her off and immediately ran upstairs, not giving his grandmother even a chance to respond. But the woman remained silent, leaning against the kitchen corner with a cheeky smile.

Soah’s heart pounded fast as she took the stairs up to Luhan’s room. When she touched her face with her free hand, her cheek was literally burning and she stopped in front of his door to calm down a little. Soah put some streaks of her hair behind her ear and breathed in.

Of course she played with the possibility  of marrying Luhan someday. Which girl who had been in a long term relationship hadn't had it yet? She was sure he’d be a good husband. And a good father. Someday. Soah almost choked as she recalled these thoughts. Her face was still burning as much as the rest of her body. The warmth crawled up and gave her a comfortable, yet nervous feeling that she felt like she had been running a marathon. Continuing breathing in and out, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter