Breaking Rules

Breaking the Silence (Edited)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thaaa~nks again for subscribing <3 welcome new readers~

I rewrote this chapter around 10 times D: I'm still not sure if I'm satisfied truthfully.

If I may advertise to you my newest Woogyu one-shot: Time will tell
It's already complete. Give it a try and comment if you like it <3 (people keep asking for a sequel though xD *pondering*)
 

 

[WOOHYUN]

 

After he had signed the papers at the reception desk, Woohyun hurried to the bus stop. He really wished he had a car, but Woohyun didn’t have the money to buy something so expensive. He needed to depend on public transportation to get everywhere in this big city. The bus drive seemed to take forever, but at least he had some time to think about his next steps. Woohyun started his thinking process by stating the things he had done today:

 

1) Broke rule #1 by touching Sunggyu’s hand.

 

Could he even count that as a mistake? Sunggyu had even thanked him afterwards.

 

2) Broke rule #3 by playing the guitar and singing.

 

Not necessarily bad either, since the older man had liked it. Great - that’s what Sunggyu had said. He had even called Woohyun’s voice beautiful. The black-haired man leaned his face against the cold glass with a longing sigh.

 

3) Broke rule #2 by leaving Sunggyu alone in the park.

 

Ugh, all-kill. Woohyun hit his head hard against the window. Idiot! You successfully destroyed all the progress from today’s date when you ran away!

 

How could he even hope for Sunggyu’s forgiveness? He swore to himself that if Sunggyu gave him a second chance, he wouldn’t waste it. He racked his brain for a solution to this hopeless mess that he had created. Woohyun couldn’t think of anything useful. Maybe he should improvise, but he wasn’t exactly good at last minute decisions. The fact that he had left Sunggyu without thinking first was the best proof for that. He knocked his head against the glass again. Maybe a flower bouquet would help? No, Sunggyu is not a girl. A voucher for a free meal at the sushi bar? No, that seems too cheap. A sudden love confession? Definitely a no, at least for now, especially not when his parents are in a 100m radius.

 

He snapped from his thoughts when the bus reached his destination. Woohyun jumped out of the vehicle and ran towards Sunggyu’s house. By the time he reached the home of the other, the assistant was sweating like crazy. He stopped at the front gate and sniffed at his armpit. Woohyun stumbled backwards. “Oh god, I reek like…I don’t even know anything comparable…”

 

Woohyun looked at his phone to check the time. It was already late in the evening. He thought about climbing to the 2nd floor again, but Sunggyu shouldn’t be asleep yet. He wiped his hands on his jeans because they were sweaty. The black-haired man carefully entered through the gate and went up to the front door. Woohyun his lips nervously and pressed the doorbell. He had absolutely no plan whatsoever. Silence engulfed him while he waited for the door to open. When it finally opened, a woman he didn’t know greeted him instead of Sunggyu. Of course! Why would Sunggyu-hyung open the damn door! Why didn’t I think of this!

 

“Yes? How can I help you…?” She asked while her eyes scanned Woohyun.

 

He cleared his throat and bowed deeply. Of all people it had to be Mrs. Kim – he was pretty sure the small-eyed woman was Sunggyu’s mother - who opened the door. Mr. Kim had warned him about her attitude towards gays and Woohyun was sure that the woman was very strict about a lot of things concerning her son.

 

“I’m sorry for disturbing you so late. My name is Nam Woohyun. I…I am a friend…I mean more like wannabe-friend…of your son.” Woohyun answered with a hopefully not too awkward smile.

 

She narrowed her eyes. “He’s never told me about you. Are you sure you’re at the right house?”

 

Woohyun blinked. “This is Sunggyu-hyung’s house…or not? We were at the park today, but I had to leave earlier.”

 

He knew the truth was maybe not the best approach, but after the incident with Sunggyu’s father Woohyun didn’t want to lie again. He was terribly bad at it and Mrs. & Mr. Kim would surely never forgive a liar.

 

Sunggyu’s mother folded her arms. “He went to the park with his friend Dongwoo as far as I know.”

 

The black-haired man hesitated. Hyung, why didn’t you tell her about me! I can’t exactly tell her that you lied!

 

“You know what? Why don’t you come inside, Woohyun?” She asked.

 

He was reluctant to accept her offer because Mrs. Kim didn’t sound very happy, but he needed to get into the house and talk to Sunggyu. Woohyun nodded and she let him in. Mrs. Kim closed the door with a small smile.

 

“Let’s talk in the living room. Do you want something to drink?”

 

“No, I’m fine, Mrs. Kim.” Honestly, Woohyun was close to dying of thirst, but his instincts told him that he shouldn’t take her offer right now, because she didn’t sound very sincere.

 

They reached the living room and of course Mr. Kim was also there. He glanced at Woohyun and raised an eyebrow questioningly, but he kept a blank face. “Who’s that, darling?”

 

“Did Sunggyu ever mention a Nam Woohyun to you?” She asked without looking at Woohyun. I’m right next to you!

 

Woohyun noticed that Mr. Kim was not only a good lie detector - he was also a master conman. Sunggyu’s father shook his head. “No. Is that him?”

 

“He says he is a friend of Sunggyu. Our son went to the park with Dongwoo today, but he told me that he accompanied him.” Mrs. Kim said matter-of-factly.

 

Mr. Kim looked at Woohyun. His eyes seemed to ask if it was the truth. “Oh, really? Why don’t we ask Sunggyu to confirm if they know each other? You should get him, dear. I’ll take care of our guest.”

 

Not again! Don’t leave, Mrs. Kim! He’s going to kill me! Sunggyu’s mother huffed and turned to leave. As soon as she was out of the room, Mr. Kim’s expression changed. Woohyun unconsciously took a step back. “My son came home with bleeding wounds on his arms. Mind telling me what happened, Woohyun?”

 

He frowned. Bleeding? When he had left Sunggyu, the older man was still uninjured. Woohyun felt even guiltier now. It was his fault that the brown-haired man was hurt. Mr. Kim was already angry because his son was bruised. God knew what he would do to Woohyun for leaving Sunggyu all alone. “I don’t know how-”

 

“Dongwoo and Howon brought him home. Why didn’t you? You’d better tell me what happened, because my son doesn’t tell us anything. I can make my own assumptions, but trust me, you don’t want that.”

 

Woohyun gulped. “I-I may have broken the second rule.”

 

Mr. Kim narrowed his eyes. The younger shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. “We were still at the park when I got a call from the hospital that my friend had an accident and was getting surgery. I lost it...he’s like family to me. I wasn’t thinking straight!”

 

The older man sighed. “I thought I had told you that Sunggyu shouldn’t be left alone. Did you think I was joking? He was probably scared stiff!”

 

“I took everything you said seriously! It won’t happen again, I swear!” Woohyun bowed deeply.

 

“That’s what you’re saying now, but what about the next time you get a phone call like that? You will abandon him again and then we’re back to this point where you promise me something you won’t be able to keep.”

 

The younger looked to the ground. He knew that it would be hard to gain their trust again. Before they could continue their conversation, Mrs. Kim returned with Sunggyu in tow. Woohyun glanced at the brown-haired man. He flinched when his eyes found the injuries on his elbows. Sunggyu didn’t look at him though. Mrs. Kim guided her son to sit on the couch and then she sat down next to him. Woohyun awkwardly stood in the middle of the room.

 

She looked at her husband. “Did something happen? I heard your voice upstairs.”

 

Mr. Kim turned to his son. “Sunggyu, is there something you might want to tell your mother?”

 

The brown-haired boy frowned. ‘I know him.’

 

Sunggyu’s mother gave Woohyun a quick glare. “Did he go to the park with you? Did you lie to me, baby?”

 

‘I did, we went together.’ Sunggyu signed.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me? We could’ve talked about it. What if he had done something to you while you were outside? Did he hurt you?” She didn’t give him a chance to answer as she stood up and walked towards the black-haired man.

 

Woohyun braced himself for the upcoming rant. “Show me your ID.”

 

He blinked but did as he was told. She took it and quickly read over it. “So you’re 22 years old?”

 

A nod. “Are you going to college?”

 

“No, Mrs. Kim. I’m working right now, but I’m planning to go to college.” Woohyun answered truthfully. He suddenly felt like this was

Please log in to read the full chapter