Stay Stay Stay

I Don't Know What to Call Us

 

________________________________________

 

I woke up with some intense pain in my head. I massaged my nape slowly and realized my eyes stinging a little. I walked to the mirror to check. My face was bloated. My eyes were puffy and red. I guessed I cried too much last night. Because I was pretty sure we almost broke up last night.

 

I walked out the bedroom to find you there, was still sleeping on my couch. You were wearing your clothes from yesterday. You hugged yourself tightly because I didn’t provide you a blanket. And I felt my heart squeezed because even though your eyes still closed, I could see them as puffy as mine. Did you cry a lot too last night?

 

***

 

Last night, I waited for you to come home. It was hell, because yet again, you texted me back with all too familiar “I’ll be back late.” Either it was filming or doing stuff on studio, you always used that as an excuse. And it was freaking me out cause I felt I was losing you slowly.

 

And so I waited. Until past midnight I heard someone unlocked my door. I turned to see you stood at the door, looked tired and unhappy. You only said, “You’re still awake?”

 

“We need to talk.” I answered, almost failed to contain my rage.

 

“Can we talk tomorrow? I’m so tired now.” Lazily you put your bag on the floor and just walked past me.

 

“I bet having dinner with that girl surely drained your energy.”

 

“What?” You turned your head so quickly to me.

 

“You heard me.”

 

Your face hardened at my words, but you only said, “What are you talking about?”

 

“’Eric Mun had a dinner date with his co-actress.’ Or ‘Eric Mun’s blooming romance’. Or ‘Perfect pair into reality.’” I spelled every headline of past few days with utmost disgust. “Pick your favorite.”

 

“It was rubbish.”

 

“Well, those rubbishes were thrown straight to my face every single day since you started that drama!” I screamed loud, finally let go any control I had left.

 

You startled and approached me, “Hyesung-ah, please calm down. I’ll explain everything.”

 

I scoffed at you and slapped your hands reaching me, “Go away!”

 

“It was nothing. And it was not a dinner date. We had dinner with whole crews.”

 

“And of course you need to sit beside her, all the time?”

 

“I cannot say no. PD himself asked me to, he said it will helps the promotion.” You tried to explain, but to me it was just not makes any sense.

 

“And you decide not to tell me beforehand, and just let me know it from those online articles instead?”

 

“I thought you would understand!” You shouted at me impatiently.

 

“How would I understand that? You never discussed it with me!” I choked at my words before I realized that I was crying.

 

“Hyesung-ah..” Again, you walked towards me. But I haven’t finished.

 

“And since you started that drama, you were ridiculously busy! I barely see you. You don’t have time for me, or just simply pick up my call.”

 

“I have so many things in my hands! I can’t pick up every call you make.” You blurted out. I saw you got panicked after you said that and you tried to fix it, “No, that was not what I mean, Hyesung-ah..”

 

But I heard enough.

 

“Then let me solve one of your problems!” I threw my phone across the room at you. It missed your face as you ducked on time. My phone hit the wall instead and fell in sorry pieces. “There, I won’t disturb you with my call anymore!”

 

You got shocked at my action but were doing nothing. I was expecting some dramatic turn-away, but you stayed. So I made mine. I turned away and walked to my bedroom. I slammed the door behind me and with that I was hoping I could muffle my cry. You didn’t come to open the door. So I was pretty sure we will break up last night.

 

 ***

 

I touched your shoulder and shook it lightly. “Eric-ah.. wake up.”

 

You only stirred and refused to open your eyes. I tried again, and when you heard my voice for the second time, you jumped and made an attempt to grab my arms. You stopped your attempt as I declined and walked back a little. Honestly, I didn’t know why I chickened like that.

 

I said, “We should talk about it.” Because I believe we should never leave a fight unresolved.

 

“Let me wash my face first.” You got up on your feet and walked to the bathroom. I sat on the couch and waited for you. Minutes later I heard some noise from my closet. I wanted to ask you what happened, but before I had a chance to, I saw you walked in living room wearing my bicycle helmet and said, “Okay, let’s talk.”

 

You sat beside me and I looked at you in disbelief. You looked extremely stupid with your tired face and that helmet. But I swear I never loved you this much before. So I said the only thing I earnestly feel at that moment, “Stay.”

 

You didn’t say anything at that. So I continued, “I’ve loved you for quite some time. I think that it’s best if we both stay.”

 

“Hyesung..”

 

“Let me finish it.” Because maybe I would be chickened again if I have to wait. You nodded but I noticed your face was beaming with relieved.

 

“Before you, I’d only dated self-indulgent takers that took all of their problems out on me. But you carry my groceries, and now I’m always laughing.” It was true. Before you, I always needed to put up a happy face and even fake smiles in all my relationship. Because they would only stay with me when I looked happy and bright. They never interested at my problems. But you brought out the me I buried beneath many layers. And you even brought my groceries and you never realized how nice it was. And since I met you until now, I was always laughing with my heart and soul. “And I love you because you have given me no choice but to stay.”

 

I looked at your abnormally big eyes, “You took the time to memorize me; my fears, my hopes, and dreams.” You would place your hand at my back every time I was nervous in front of many people. Or just simply looked at me and smiled vaguely to encourage me, like you wanted to say ‘It’s okay, I’m here.’ You knew exactly what my favorite dish, and my favorite clothes, and the places I wished to go, and you knew that I love it the best when drizzling. You would laugh at my jokes and ate anything I cooked you, even though it was just ramyun.

 

“Eric, I just like hanging out with you, all the time. All those times that you didn’t leave, it’s been occurring to me I’d like to hang out with you, for my whole life.”

 

Later I knew you already crushed me in a tight hug, which I gratefully returned. Thank God.

 

“I love you so much, Shin Hyesung. I will stay forever with you.” You whispered to my ear and I shivered from that. And you started to kiss my ear, to my jaw and finally found my lips. It was a soft and gentle kiss, a perfect one.

 

“Eric, I need you to keep me sane.” I managed to say after we parted our lips. “Every time the world slipped out of my hand, I will turn to you and suddenly I believe everything will be okay. So when yesterday I couldn’t reach you, I became unreasonable and all I can think was bad things.” How I missed you this whole time.

 

“I won’t leave you, Hyesung-ah..”

 

“You think that it’s funny when I’m mad. But I hate myself when I’m mad like that. And I always afraid that someday you will stop loving me when you think you can’t handle this madman anymore.”

 

“I will still love you even though you’re mad.” You cupped my face lovingly.

 

“No one else is going to love me when I get mad.”

 

“That’s why you stuck with me.” You grinned now.

 

“I love you because you loved me when I couldn’t love myself.” I smiled to him. “See? You always have a way to make me feel better. Now take off that stupid helmet so I can kiss you properly.”

 

________________________________________

 

A/N

Another fic I wrote based on song. This time Taylor Swift's song titled "Stay Stay Stay".. She was just genius in words, I was so inspired every time I listened to her songs.. :)