It's NOT A Date

Private Practice

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS. Your comments make me SO happy. Haha. Thank you guys so much for reading the last chapter, as much as I hated it. It was totally written in a hurry.

So now I have a chapter that I've put a little more effort into. But I'm never fully satisfied with this story. So I'm glad at least you guys like it. ^^

~~~~~

Minho's POV

"So, I take the square root of that one, right?" Taemin asks as I scribble down figures on a piece of paper to finish the problem. I adjust the phone, propped up in between my shoulder and my ear.

"That is correct," I say into the phone as I put my pencil down. "And the number you are left with is...?"

I hear Taemin hesitate before answering, "Twenty-four?"

"Yes! That's right!" I exclaim, hearing the younger boy sigh in relief. "Taemin, you're getting so much better!"

"I guess I am, huh, Minho?" I can almost feel the smile in his voice. "First Pythagorean Theorem, then the world!"

"Well, at least math, right?"

"The world," I imagine him looking at me with narrowed eyes, pouting in the most adorable way imaginable.

"Aigoo! So cute!" I say out loud, creating an awkward silence on the other end of the phone.

Suddenly there's another voice in the background, and I have to listen really hard to determine it's a male.

"It's just Jonghyun, Appa," I hear Taemin say, his voice slightly muffled. Then the sound gets clearer. "What's the time of the movie again, Jong?"

"Six o'clock," I answer, not exactly sure if I was supposed to.

Taemin's father starts talking again, and the voices fade as I hear Taemin press the phone against his chest.

"Yes sir, I'll be in bed by midnight," Taemin says, and I hear the sound of a door closing.

There's another moment of awkward silence before Taemin speaks again, to me this time. "Sorry about that, Minho. Thanks for being cool."

"Just keeping your secret, as promised," I smile, and I'm sure he's smiling too. "But now I'm curious..."

"About what?"

"Would you actually like to go see a movie tomorrow? With me?"

Then there is the most awkward silence of them all. I had to check my phone three times just to reassure myself he hadn't hung up. Stupid Minho, you ing pabo! You guys don't even really know each other. He probably feels threatened. I mean, he's not all that comfortable around you. What if he thinks you're a total creeper? What if he thinks you're only tutoring him to get in his pants? This is a little fast, huh?

I can't quite explain it, but I feel differently towards Taemin...different than I've ever felt for another human being before. It's not in a creepy way. At least, I hope it's not. I just find Taemin...addictive? What the hell, Minho? Shut up right now.

"You don't have to say yes," I break the silence finally, "I just thought it would be a great way for us to get to know each other or something. But it's okay if you say no. I can always find someone else to go with."

Mm. Maybe that last part was a little rude. I hope he won't take it the wrong way! Plus, it's not even true. I haven't spoken to any of my...acquaintances since graduation.

"I'd love to go," Taemin finally breathes. What is that in his voice? Anger? Frustration?

"Are you sure? If you don't want to, it's fine. I was just curious."

"Yes, I'm sure, Minho! I really want to go!" Taemin is suddenly very excited. I can't help but smile.

"Okay then. I can expect to meet you there at six o'clock?"

"It's a date," Taemin laughs, and I freeze. It's not a date, right? It's just me and Taemin. Going out. By ourselves. To get to know each other. Yeah. It's so not a date.

"Will this be cool with your parents?" I ask, making a mental note that I need to turn down the thermostat. It is waaaay too hot in here.

"I'm sure Umma will be fine with it. And he can help cover it for Appa."

"Sounds great," I say, noticing the time is 11:53. "You should get to bed, neh? You told your dad you'd be in bed by midnight."

"Yah. I don't wanna sleep. I'm not even tired," the yawn that follows this statement makes me think otherwise.

"Sleep for me, Tae," I blurt out, not realizing how truly flirtacious I sound. "I'm nothing special. I'll see you tomorrow."

"That's where you're wrong, Minho. You're extremely special. To me, anyway."

I blink. What the-? Did he really-?

"'Kay, well, I'll see you tomorrow, Minho! Goodnight!" the line went dead.

I sat back in my seat, staring down at my phone. I'm special, huh? Why does he think that? Maybe because I'm tutoring him? Maybe because I'm taking him to the movies tomorrow? He just doesn't want me to feel bad. He's taking pity on me.

Lee Taemin, why are you so hard to understand? And why do you intoxicate me so?

~~~~~

Taemin's POV

I wake up with the biggest smile on my face to the smell of breakfast cooking. Today is gonna be awesome, I just know it!

Oh, wait. Maybe I should ask Umma if I can even go through with my plans for today.

I race down the stairs and down the hall, nearly stumbling into the kitchen. "Annyeong, Umma!"

Key Umma turns around from the stove and smiles. "Good morning, baby! How are you today?"

"I'm good," I say, allowing Umma to kiss my forehead. "Is Appa up yet?"

"Nope, he's sleeping in today," Umma answers simply, sliding bacon out of a frying pan and onto a plate.

"Great, I can ask this then. Can I go to the movies with Minho tonight?"

Key Umma looks over at me and smiles brightly. "The movies, huh? Sounds like a date."

"It's not a date, Umma!" I exclaim. "It's just me and Minho spending some time alone together away from the stress of math work so we can get to know each other better."

Umma blinks before laughing. "It's okay. I'm very proud that my son is going on his first date."

I pout. It's NOT a date. But even if it WAS, who says it's my first? Okay, so maybe I haven't had a girlfriend. But that's merely because I'm gay. And I haven't had a boyfriend either. But that's because I have trouble telling guys my feelings.

I actually did that once. In the sixth grade, I had a crush on this boy in my class. One day, we were partnered up for a project. I decided that this would be the perfect time to confess. But when I told him my feelings, he flipped out and told everyone in school I was a ''. "Didn't your parents teach you it's wrong to be gay?!" he had screamed at me.

No. Actually they hadn't. But that's probably because they're gay too, so...

So everyone really hated me after that. I guess because the school was filled with stuck up straight kids. But one day, one of the most popular jocks in school cornered me in the restrooms one day. He told me he'd heard the gossip. But instead of beating me into a pulp like I was expecting to, he ended up telling me, right then and there, that he was gay too.

And Jonghyun and I have been best friends ever since.

Umma waves a hand in front of my face to cease my flashbacks. "Your breakfast is getting cold, my dear."

I pick up my plate, still looking up at Key Umma. "You never really answered my question."

"Of course you can go," Umma beams as he puts Appa's plate in the microwave to keep it warm. "Just be safe."

I freeze. "Umma, we're not gonna have ."

"WHAT?! ?!"

Oh. He meant...oh.

"Lee Taemin, don't you dare even think about , you hear me?" Umma seems completely hysterical as he runs his hands sharply through my hair.

"Umma, relax. I'm sorry. Mianhae," I grimace as Key Umma's perfectly manicured nails dig into my scalp. "I misunderstood you. That's all."

Umma softens and returns to his kitchen work. "Sorry, Taeminnie. I guess I just want you to be my baby forever."

I can't help but smile. Poor Umma. What will he do without me when I'm gone?

"Umma, I'll always be your baby. I just won't always be a baby."

"I suppose you're right," Umma smiles as he starts cleaning the breakfast pans. "Go eat your breakfast, now. You've got a fun evening planned."

--

After breakfast, there is a knock on the door. I clean my plate in the sink while Umma rushes off to answer it.

"Annyeong, sunbae!" I hear Jonghyun's greeting and smile.

"Ah! Annyeong, Jonghyun," Umma chirps as I finish rinsing my dishes and stand in the doorway behind him.

"Hey, Taeminnie! You feel like going to the park today?" Jonghyun asks, holding up a soccer ball.

I glance nervously at Umma, whom smiles politely. "You have plenty of time, baby. It's not even noon yet."

I nod to Umma and then grab my jacket. Jonghyun does a fist pump as I move out the door.

"Be home by five, Taemin, okay? Have fun!" Umma calls out with a smile as he closed the door behind me.

"Why the curfew, brainiac?" Jonghyun asks as we walk down the street together.

"I have some errands I have to run for Umma, and then I'm going to visit some relatives," I answer simply.

"You're so cute, Taeminnie, doing favors for your Umma like that," twinkles form in Jonghyun's eyes, and I just shrug.

--

"I can't believe you beat me three times in a row!" I sigh as I plop down in our usual booth with my banana ice cream. It's three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon, and the place is nearly full. We're lucky we even got our favorite spot. Why do all these people want ice cream when it's, like, under twenty degrees outside?

"You've always been bad at soccer," Jonghyun laughs as he sits down across from me with his low fat frozen yogurt. "I don't know why you always play with me." 

"It's fun to lose," I say, causing Jonghyun to laugh again.

We then go on to several random conversations as we sit and eat our frozen treats. This is honestly one of my very favorite things to do: eat my favorite ice cream and talk with my best friend.

"And then he took the controller, and I didn't even know! So I..." Jonghyun's gaze suddenly shifted behind me, towards the door.

"Damn, Taemin. Check out this hot piece of that just walked in."

I turn around slowly, not wanting to make a scene. But it's kinda hard, now that I've noticed who just walked in the door.

Choi. Mother. ing. Minho.

~~~~~

Dun, dun, DUUUUUN. Bahaha. Cliffhanger, I guess?

Comments allow me to sleep at night, and make me very, very happy.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ReinventRoss

Tumblr: http://letyoudanceaway.tumblr.com/

DBSK/SHINee Drabble: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/47660/a-day-in-the-life-2min-dbsk-shinee-yoosu-yunjae