Step 2: Keeping The Secret

Private Practice

Hey there, you guys! I have some limited access to the internet, and the third chapter finished, so why not share it with you guys? ^^

If you want to keep tabs on me in a more personal way, you're all welcome to follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ReinventRoss  I also have a tumblr: http://letyoudanceaway.tumblr.com/  I apologize in advance for my insanity. Hehe.

Also, I'm thinking of posting another story I have sitting around. It's DBSK/SHINee. So I'm hoping you guys will read it. The title will probably be "A Day In The Life", so be on the lookout for that if you're interested!

Okay, here we go. Thank you guys so much for your continued support. How about some Jonghyun in this chapter? :D

~~~~~~~~

(Taemin's POV)

At the dinner table, appa chews his food fiercely. He always eats like that when he eats chicken. Chicken was his first true love. Sometimes I think he loves chicken more than Key umma.

Minho had to be rushed out of the house when appa called to say he was on his way home. Before he left for the day, he scribbled his phone number down on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

"Call me anytime. I have texting too. If you ever need any help, have any questions, or if you just want to talk, I'm there, alright?"

I nodded as Minho ruffled my hair.

"I'll always keep your secret, Taemin. You can trust me," Minho gave me one of his contagious smiles before rushing out the door.

"So, Taemin," Key umma's sweet voice brings me back to the present, "Did you like that milk I got you today?"

I blink as I swallow a mouthful of food. Key umma never asked questions like that. What is going on?

"It was different than what you're used to," Umma says, flashing his eyes at me. "I was just wondering if you enjoyed it."

I hold back a gasp. Ah, he's being metaphorical.

"I liked it," I say, cutting another piece of my meat. "It was very refreshing."

Key umma giggles slightly as I blush. "So I should keep getting that kind? Would you like to have it again?"

"Yes!" I say quickly, receiving another giggle from Key umma. "I mean...that would be fine."

Appa looks up at me suspiciously but shakes it off. "No call from your teacher today. Must have been no assignments."

I sigh. Does he not have any faith in me whatsoever?

"I want you to do well, Taemin," appa says, scraping off leftover chicken scraps from his plate and popping them into his mouth. "You're in danger of being in a lot of trouble. This is not the time to play."

"Yes, appa," I mutter, looking over at Key umma, who mouths 'he cares'.

Appa gets up from the table and carries his plate into the kitchen. My muscles relax once he's gone. Umma reaches over and rests a hand on top of mine.

"Everything's gonna be alright, Taemin," Key umma says with a smile. "Just give it time."

~~~~~

"Dude, what was so important that you had to totally blow me off yesterday?" Jonghyun plops his tray down across from me and takes his seat. His face was twisted into a tight, accusing frown.

I take a sip of my milk and look over my best friend's face, trying to come up with a reasonable excuse. What was I doing yesterday? Not ogling at my new y-as-hell tutor. No sir.

Goddamn, Taemin. You've always been so sweet and innocent. What has happened to you?

"Yah, Taemin!" Jonghyun yells out suddenly, and I realize at this point that I have turned undeniably red. "What the hell is this? Were you with someone yesterday?"

"No! I was-"

"Little Taemin has a girlfriend! Or is it a guy? Aren't you gay? We havent had the ual orientation talk in a while. But you don't really act straight, so I guess you're-what the hell? It doesn't matter! I'm your best friend, for God sakes, speak to me!"

I sigh, continuing to stare at my dinosaur-like best friend. His dark hair is spiked messily atop his head, and his eyes are fixed on mine as he takes a bite of whatever the crap the cafeteria was serving today.

"I went home to help Key umma yesterday. I promised I would."

Jonghyun's face suddenly softens, and his frown turns into a smile.

"Aww. You went home to help your umma? That's so sweet!" Jonghyun looks as if he could just die from cuteness. It's cute in his head, of course. In my head, it's just was I do to show my love for Key umma.

Speaking of 'love for key umma', there's something else you need to know about Jonghyun.

"Yeah, well, I figured you'd think so. Due to the fact that you have this thing for him," I sip my milk again and glance aimlessly across the cafeteria.

"Dude, face it. Your umma's totally hot," Jonghyun says witha dreamy smile.

Yep.

"Yah, that's my umma, Jonghyun," I sigh. "Wipe that drool from your chin."

Jonghyun wipes the back of his hand across his face, only to find it dry. We both laugh at my childish joke and continue to eat our lunch.

"So since you ditched me yesterday, how about you come over to my house after school today, and we can shoot some zombies on my Playstation 3. Does that sound cool?"

I blink and look over at Jonghyun. Damn. How am I going to make up an excuse for why I can't hang out after school anymore?

"Actually, Key umma has this new rule," I lie with ease, mentally chastising myself for being such a bad person. Umma would be so disappointed. "I have to come straight home after school everyday now so I can do my homework. He's tired of me always staying up late and trying to finish my homework."

Jonghyun blinks and glares slightly at me. I knew he wasn't going to buy it.

"Well, how about I come over to your place and we can do our homework together," he offers.

"No!" I answer too quickly, causing Jonghyun to raise a questioning eyebrow. "I mean...you know we really won't get any work done if we do our homework together. We'll goof off too much. And then Onew appa will get upset with me."

"That's true," Jonghyun's voice trails off as he stares down at the table.

"We can still hang out on the weekends, though," I say with a smile.

Jonghyun smiles back. "Yeah! And we can play video games and do a game of soccer in the park...and we can hang out with your fine- mother..."

"Yah, pabo!" I yell, tossing my fork at Jonghyun as he laughs hysterically.

The bell rings, and Jonghyun and I walk over to discard our trays.

", I've got history next. I at remembering all those dates and everything," Jonghyun muses.

"History's pretty easy, " I say as I adjust the strap on my schoolbag.

"Says you, Mr. Genius," Jonghyun laughs. "What do you have right now?"

I gulp as I realize that my next class is the one part of the day that I dread the most.

"I have math next," I say, attempting to hide my disgust.

"Man, that blows," Jonghyun says as he turns to walk away. "But that shouldn't be a problem for you, brainiac. See you around, Taeminnie!"

I sigh, walking towards my class. Suddenly my legs feel like pillars of concrete, dragging across the floor. I'm not a brainiac. I'm not even smart. I'm incredibly stupid. But I'm gonna get better. Minho promised he would help me. He promised he would keep my secret.

He promised.

~~~~~

I had "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wyane floating around in my head while writing this chapter. All I could think was "TAEMIN'S MOM HAS GOT IT GOING ON!" Yep, I'm insane, and I'm proud. ^^

Thanks for reading! Your comments make my heart smile!