Losing It

Private Practice

Taemin's POV

I walk into the house, still holding on to Yoona's hand. My thoughts are racing. Remember that time that I was considering running away from school? That's me again right now. How many broken hearts would I have to live with if I just took off?

"Taeminnie?" my Umma rounds the corner from the kitchen. His eyes are red and puffy from heavy tears I'm sure he's shed. He looks at Yoona and smiles lightly. "Hello there. You must be Yoona. Taemin has told me a lot about you."

Yoona beams and squeezes my hand. "It's really nice to meet you, Mrs. Lee."

Umma blushes before laughing a little. Mrs.! "You can just call me Key. No need to be formal here."

Yoona nods before I lead her into the living room. We sit on the couch that Minho and I usually sit on to do our sessions. She spreads her notes out on the table that I usually spread my notes out on. I sit in the spot that Minho usually sits in and start helping Yoona just like he would me if I was sitting where she is. The parallelism nearly kills me.

After about a half hour of explaining notes and dates and everything else, I decide to quiz her. I start reading things from the notes in random order and prompt her to answer them. She struggles on a few, but once I go back over them, she answers flawlessly. At the end, she gets all of them and then laughs with new-found pride. I laugh too as I pick up her papers for her.

"I didn't think I'd ever get this stuff. It was really hard! But I get it now that you helped me, Oppa. Thank you!"

I smile and poke her nose. "I knew you had it in you. You are so smart and sweet, Yoona. You could have done it on your own."

And then suddenly she kisses me. It's very sudden and very simple, but she holds it, as if waiting for me to react. I can't kiss you! You've already stolen my first kiss that I was saving for someone else. I can't possibly kiss you! But then again if I don't kiss her back, she might leave me. Then again, why am I even with her? I'm in love with Minho. My Appa hates that I'm with her. My Umma's heart is broken. I lost my best friend. What was ever really the point of this?

But then my mind wanders back to Minho. I could kiss her back. You can do this, Taemin. Just pretend she's Minho. I lean into her kiss and suddenly find it so easy when you pretend. I imagine her shiny, glossed lips as Minho's smooth ones, enveloping my own lips. Instead of her sweet perfume, I smell Minho's indescribable, comforting scent.

And then she pulls away, and I open my eyes to the harsh reality that it really isn't Minho that I've been kissing. And my Umma is standing in the corner trying to hide the fact that he's undeniably sobbing.

"I should go now," Yoona decides as she stands up and adjusts her skirt. "I'll see you tomorrow, Oppa! Thank you so much!"

I walk her out, and once she's gone, I close the door, sighing in relief. Umma meets me in the hallway with a tissue to his face.

"You don't love her," he says very matter-of-factly.

No . "No, but-"

"But she's really nice, right?" Umma sniffles and looks away from me. "You can't do that, Taemin. You can't just lead somebody on like that. You can't just toy with people's emotions...what about Minho?"

"...What about Minho?"

"You love him," fresh tears fall from Umma's eyes. "You love him, and you're doing this to him; this to yourself."

I shrug lightly. "It's not like he loves me back. Plus, maybe I'll grow to really like Yoona. Maybe I can actually live a normal life for once."

That last part hurts him, and I cover my mouth as he staggers a little. Did I mean that? Did I really? I shake my head and slap my hands over my eyes in an attempt to block out thoughts. I take a few deep breaths before I realize what I have to do.

"I have to tell him," I say aloud as I remove the barriers from my face. "I have to tell Minho how I feel. Then maybe everything will fall into place."

Key Umma looks up at me in horror. "Oh, TaeBaby, I really don't think that's such a good idea."

I blink, totally confused. What the hell? Hasn't he been the one pushing me to tell Minho since day one? Now, all of a sudden, it's a bad idea? "Umma, I have to tell him. If I get that off my chest, maybe then I can handle all the rest of this mess that I've made for myself."

I then walk past him and up to my room. I know dinner will be ready soon, but I need some time to clear my head and decide what I'm going to say to Minho tomorrow.

~~~~~

Minho's POV

"Dude, wake up," a towel hits my face, causing me to jolt upwards into a sitting position. Siwon's standing over me with a semi-concerned face. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I ignore the dull surging of pain in my head as I rub my eyes. Why do I feel so sick all of a sudden? It's got to be some sort of virus going around.

"Are you sure about that? You look horrible," Siwon collects my laundry from the floor. Ever since he started living with me, he's been like my maid and cook.

I nod in response, and he walks out, talking about me getting up so I could have breakfast. As I sit there in silence, I close my eyes as the pounding in my head begins to strengthen and try to think. Seriously, what happened last night? Yesterday, I remember going to the store and I remember seeing Jonghyun...

A memory comes and hits me in the face like a ton of...I don't know. Cinderblocks? And then all I can think about is standing in that backyard, watching the one I love make out with some girl. The teardrops on his Umma's face. The feeling of my heart shattering into barely-existant pieces. The smell of the bacon from Siwon's American-styled breakfast.

I suddenly run to the bathroom and fall to my knees, upchucking everything in me. I grip the toilet as I vomit, feeling my body grow weaker and more limp every time my body wretches. When I'm finally empty, I breathe for a few moments, leaning back on my heels. I turn and see Siwon standing in the doorway with a large, empty bottle.

"I was hoping my assumptions were wrong," he says sternly, shaking the bottle for emphasis. "Minho, you never drink. And then I find this empty bottle of vodka. So do you want to let me know what's going on?"

I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand as I search my brain for answers. "I really don't remember drinking anything last night. You know I detest alcohol, so I don't understand why I would've drank that."

Siwon shrugs, obviously disappointed in me. In face, I'm disappointed in myself. "Do you remember anything that happened yesterday that might have caused you to drink?"

I shake my head and wince at the pain. My head has never hurt so damn bad in my life; it feels like it might explode.

Siwon sighs. "Well, you definitely drank it. You have hangover written all over your face," he looks at the floor before turning around to leave. "Go sleep it off. It's Friday, and you have tutoring to do later."

~~~~~

Taemin's POV

I'm just about in the clear when Yoona comes running up to me. "Oppa! Oppa!"

I flinch as I mull over what I'm supposed to do. Just gently let her down, Taemin. Break up with her softly and hope for the best.

"Hey, Yoona. Look, I g-"

"I'm sorry I didn't talk so much in school today. I was too nervous about my test score. I won't know until Monday," she's silent for a moment before she smiles up at me. "Are we still on for our date tonight?"

I nearly choke on air. How could I forget about our date? I bite my lip and try to hide my face, but she sees me.

"Oppa? What's wrong? Do you not want to go?"

No. No, I don't. Right? I don't want to. But...I did promise her. It would be so incredibly rude. I did invite her... "That's not it," I find myself flashing Yoona a fake smile. "I'm just nervous. That's all."

Yoona wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me into a hug. "It's okay to be nervous, Oppa. I'm nervous too," she nuzzles my neck slightly. "You're my first boyfriend."

"Jinja?" my eyes widen. "If it makes you feel any better, you're my first girlfriend."

She smiles wider and traces her fingers across my face. "We were each other's firsties!"

Cringing, I bear Yoona's overbearing adorableness for a few moments longer before I excuse myself to go home and get ready. We embrace briefly before I take off down the road and away from her. What am I even doing? Why am I even taking her out tonight? I suddenly remember that Minho's probably waiting for me at my house and clear my mind of everything having to do with Yoona.

I kick off my shoes at the door and deposit my jacket. I walk into the living room to see Minho sitting on the couch, his eyes somewhat puffy. Umma's sitting diagonal to Minho with his face cradled in his hands. Minho sees me and sits up straight, wiping the corners of his eyes.

"Oh, Taemin. Hey. How was school today?"

I blink at Minho and shrug. "It was okay, I guess."

Umma excuses himself and kisses my head before leaving the room.

"Are you feeling better?"

What? Was I feeling bad? I blink and realize it. That must have been Umma's excuse for yesterday.

"Yes, much better," I nod with a weak smile. "Banana milk is good for migraines."

Minho doesn't smile, but he nods. "Let's get on with the lesson, shall we?"

Through our lesson, Minho seems emotionless. Instead of asking me what I need help on, he starts a lesson of his own. I pick it up pretty quickly, minus a few simple mathematic errors.

"You seem to be getting the hang of this," Minho remarks as I put my things away at the end. "Soon enough, you won't need me anymore."

I look at Minho and sigh. "Hyung, what's wrong?"

Minho shakes his head and then fakes a smile. "I'm fine, Taemin. Just have a bit of a migraine as well."

I pretend to accept this explanation and nod. Minho looks down at the table, and I find myself speaking involuntarily. "There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

Minho looks back up at me. "Sure. You can talk to me about anything, Tae."

No, I can't. "Well, umm...Jonghyun...remember that day he told you I was gay?"

Minho nods, his gaze distant.

"Well..." What the hell am I supposed to say? "Umm...you know like when...umm...in Romeo and Juliet...no, that's not a good example. Umm..."

"What are you trying to say, Taemin?" Minho's eyes scan my face for answers, and I'm suddenly very interested in my socks.

"Sometimes," I start, hearing Umma's voice in my head, telling me what to say, "people fall for people spontaneously. It may be a random person...like, someone you wouldn't expect. A kind stranger who shows up in your life and becomes so much more."

"Right," Minho nods. "It's such an overwhelming thing. Meeting such an amazing person and then falling hard for them."

I look back up at Minho and nod. He's so smart. Minho's eyes continue to search my face. "So, who is it that you've fallen for, Tae?"

Oh God. Here we go. Am I really going to do this? I blink several times and take a deep breath before finally answering.

"You."

~~~~~

Minho's POV

"You."

I narrow my eyes as Taemin's voice trails off near the end of the word. Yoona? Isn't her name Yoona?

"Who is that?" I ask, wondering if I just caught the first half of the name.

Taemin laughs nervously, his face bright red. "That's really funny, hyung."

I blink. "I'm serious. Isn't that, like, short for something?"

"What? No!" Taemin shakes his head repeatedly. "You, Minho. I've fallen for you. My hyung. My tutor."

In the same instant, my heart flutters and burns in a horrid, painful sensation. I've been waiting to hear these words. But they're lies. All lies. "Taemin, wha-"

"I mean it, Minho! It took me a while to figure out these feelings, but now I know. I understand. And I figured I should tell you."

"Taemin, stop."

He stares at me in horror and confusion. "Why? Is it because you don't feel the same?"

"Taemin, you don't love me."

"Yes, I do! I just told you that!"

"If you love me, then why did you kiss her?"

Taemin is taken aback. I see him swallow roughly before speaking. "W-What are you talking about?"

"Oh, shut up," he flinches as my voice raises. "I know. I know about Yoona. Jonghyun told me at the store. And then I ran here, because I didn't believe it. But then I looked through the window, and I saw you and her. I saw you kiss her. I saw you laughing and playing together. I saw it all."

Taemin shakes his head, and I feel anger surge through me. "No, Minho. Look, her and I, we-"

"I'm done," I get up from the couch and begin to walk out. "I'm so sick of your lies, Taemin. You're so good at lying to your parents; I should've known you would lie to me too."

"Minho," I catch the tears in his strangled voice as he follows me, almost stopping me in my tracks. But I keep walking. Past his Umma who was standing by the doorway listening and towards the front door.

"You don't love me, Taemin, so don't try to pretend that you do," I swallow a lump of sobs in my throat. but it just gets tighter. "Did you ever think about my feelings before you told these lies? Did you ever think that maybe I had really fallen for you? Of course you did, and that's why you did this, right? Well, that's fine. I don't know why I ever felt anything for you. You're definitely not the person I thought you were." 

I open the door and then spin around to see Taemin's face one more time: blotchy and soaked with tears. "You can go ahead and fail math. I really just don't give a damn anymore. Goodbye, Taemin."

I slam the door behind me and storm off down the street. Tears run down my face and I simply wipe them away, sniffling. How could I let myself fall for him? How could I let myself believe his lies? How could someone so beautiful and intoxicating be so wicked and evil?

Nothing makes sense anymore.

~~~~~

ANGST~

Oh, hi there. Long time no see, beautiful readers. :) Hope this chapter is good enough to feed your appetite~ It took me a while to write it.

Just so you know, THE END IS NEAR! That's right! My plan is to finish this up in three more chapters. Or less. This story has way more subscribers and supporters outside of AFF than I could have ever dreamed of, and it makes me almost sad to see it going. But I've been working on this story for over a year, and I've got some new plans for the summer~

Anyway, please leave me nice comments because they help me sleep at night! ^^

Love you guys. <3