Tornado

Love Light

Marquita Pring’s POV

I looked over and spotted Jamie walking through the crowd. She seemed happy and in her own world. I could only imagine what she was thinking of. She finally reached the table and realized there were three people with me. She smiled big like the ones you do for a picture and looked at me. Her eyes asked me what the hell was going on and I just smiled back.

“This is my friend Jamie we came here together. Jamie, this is Kim, Josh, and Michael. We’ve been talking.” I kept my voice at a normal pace and tone so my excitement would not escape. Jamie wasn’t one of those girls who went crazy when she saw cute guys but I’ve seen her when she gets excited. Her excitement can be easily mistaken for fan-girl crazy. Jamie sat down next to me and took brief glances at the three men in front of her. She didn’t want to look as awkward as she felt; I knew she wouldn't forgive me if I didn’t save her.

“How did it go?” I nodded my head in the guy’s direction. She smiled and her eyes got huge. “It went great! But not for the reason you might think. The guy I was originally talking to just so happen to be here with someone…” I stopped her dead in her tracks. “Really, Who?!” I glanced up to see if I could spot him with another girl. “He came here with a friend but he has a boyfriend.” My jaw dropped, I was so surprised, “A BOYfriend?! Or a boy who just so happens to be a friend.” I was trying to figure out how he could be so hot but so off limits. “But that's not the point to this story.” Jamie went on with a twinkle in her eyes. “Right when he told me he was basically gay I stopped him from talking and was about to turn around when BAM,” She slammed her hands on her lap. “I spotted my next target.” I was so confused at this point, how can she bounce back so fast? Wasn’t she embarrassed?

“Have you spoken to him?” I could already tell she hadn’t but I had to ask. “No, I’ve been making sure he isn’t gay too.” I had come to the conclusion that she is crazy so I just nodded and added an “mmhmmm” to make her feel better. I was about to turn around and start up another conversation with Kim when Jamie grabbed me by the shoulders and yanked me out the seat.

“You gotta help me!” I couldn’t say anything before Jamie was pulling me by the hand in a random direction. Jamie was in her really-hard-to-handle auto pilot mode. There has never been anyone who can bring her out of it. “I need you to ask him if he knows what color your shirt is.” I could feel my brows wrinkle up. “What?” I just wanted to turn around and run. Jamie was giving me her explanation, “Okay so all straight guys think of colors as simply as possible. Your shirt is Coral but if he says Pink, it's a go!” I was mortified, I couldn’t ask a guy that question, why would I need to ask a guy the color of MY shirt? I stopped and pulled my hand away from her, “I can’t.” She pouted, “Please!”

In my mind I was screaming for time to stand still or for it to go backwards. I just wanted this to stop.  I just didn’t want to feel so weak against her or need to want to help but I was scared of making myself feel bad about myself.

 

this! And all these stupid feelings. Once my inner it had kicked in nothing mattered. “Okay, where is he?” I had slipped away from the “individual” Marquita, the one who was starting to question how this shirt fit her at the moment. The person who wanted to go back and say sorry for just leaving without saying good bye. I had become the “Friend” the one that does everything to make the next person feel better and let me tell you, I was damn good at it.

 

Jamie pointed him out and was leading the way. I walked right up to him and started talking “Hey, my friend and I were having a really hard time trying to figure something out. What color is my shirt?” The guy’s face was small and cute but I didn’t have the slightest interest. He looked at my face and down at my shirt. “Pink.” “Thank you.” I said and my heels. Jamie didn’t waste any time to join in. “Really? It looks like a different color to me.” Jamie said with a smile. I was walking away, almost running to get back to the table when I saw that it was empty. Kim, Josh, and Michael had left. My friend mode had vanished and my it had all dried up.

 

!

 

 

Kim Jae Wook’s POV

Marquita’s friend was like a tornado, she had just come in and now she was taking Marquita away. I was not the only one confused. Josh and Michael were looking in the direction Marquita was pulled off too and then back at me. I felt so embarrassed but I didn’t know why. I was questioning this whole scenario in my head and if someone was telling me this story I would have thought her friend was on a “rescue” mission to save her from a bad date. What is going on here?

“Lets go.” Josh was standing up and checking his phone. “It’s getting late and I still have some errands to run.” Michael stretched and backed up his seat to hop to a standing position. I stood up taking one last look in the direction Marquita had vanished in. We walked out without being stopped by random girls or the one person I wanted to be stopped by most, but I told myself “what will be will be” and got into the car. 

The drive back was filled with laughing and meaningless discussions about who would win a hippo or the loch ness monster. I was team Nessie all the way but I will admit, the fight would be intense.

Josh dropped Michael off at my house because he said he had to use the bathroom. I made sure to remind him he doesn’t live here and that doing number 2 is not allowed. Michael laughed and ran to the bathroom holding his . I don’t think he got the severity of the situation, but I laughed it off and went to my room. I flopped on my bed and took my shoes off.

I whispered to myself “Damn, I’m never going to see her again.” I chucked to myself as I opened my laptop. “Oppa?” I’m going to have to kill Michael when he gets out.

I looked down and saw that the meet up facebook page was still open. I forgot I was still on it. I scrolled down the comments, glancing at all the drunken pictures of girls with their tongues out and the normal group photos. I was about to sign back off and start playing Pokémon when I saw a familiar face. I was scrolling too fast but I know I saw her face. I did, it was Marquita’s facebook page. Her profile picture was a picture of her face with a huge smile.

“Saranghaeyo Oppa.”

Michael whispered it into my ear and nuzzled me. “Da …” I was caught completely off guard. “Just message her with you number! I’m hungry, you got food right?” Before I could say anything Michael was rushing out my room. “Don’t eat all the food you black hole stomach!” All I could hear was faint laughter.

 

Okay, I can do this. All I have to do is say hi and give her my number. But what if she thinks I’m some crazy stalker. I am sorta stalking her, on some level… but I’m not a stalker I just to talk to her again. Damn. I opened up a message and began typing, I didn’t have to send it but I can still type it. I would just write it all out and debate wither I should send it or not. Why did this feel so important or like some weird life-changing event. I took a deep breath, “I’m not cut out for this.”

My stomach was in knots.

 

Hey this is Kim,

You might have already realized that from my picture but if you haven’t realized it I’m the Asian guy that sat with you at the AMBW Meet up. How are you? Um, well you left before we could finish talking and I really liked talking to you.

I just wanted you to have my number just in case you wanted to continue our conversation too.

Text me anytime, bye.

(XXX) XXX XXXX

 

Kim Jae Wook.

 

My stomach was doing back flips and it was starting to hurt. I rushed to the bathroom for relief. Was this a sign I should just leave it alone? Don’t push the issue? I heard the front door slam close which was weird but I didn’t mind, I know it was just Michael leaving. “He most have eaten all my food again.”

I put myself back together, washed my hands, and headed back to my room. There was a note on top of my now closed laptop which gave me a really bad feeling.

 

Dear Kim,

 

I sent your message… and changed something in it.

 

Ps. I ate the last of the rice and chicken.

 

Pps. I love you, don’t hurt me!

 

I almost broke my laptop trying to open it. I reread the message and spotted it right away. “Your Oppa Kim Jae Wook.” My face had gotten hot and it started tingling.

 

!