Family

Baby Story

 

Jongin’s POV

38 and a half weeks, 1am in the morning

Kyungie shifted uncomfortably in his sleep and mumbled something. I was wide awake, bothered by my endless worries about the twins’ arrival.

Suddenly, Kyungie’s eyes fluttered open.

“Can’t sleep?”

He rubbed his eyes slightly and answered, “I need to use the bathroom.”

He slowly pushed himself off the bed, before waddling to the bathroom. I laid back down on the bed, putting my hands behind my head, and stared at the ceiling. Ah… what would it really be like when the twins were born?

“Um, Jongin?”

Kyungie’s voice from the bathroom snapped me out of my thoughts. I sat up on the bed and answer, “Ya?”

I slowly made my way to the bathroom and opened the door.

Kyungie was sitting on the toilet bowl with his sweat pants at his ankles.

 

 

“I think my waters just broke.”

 

 

 

What?

 

Ok. Calm down, Jongin. Calm down.

 

 

 

 

My heart was pounding and my head was spinning.

“Jongin?” Kyungie was looking at me worriedly.

“Ok. I can do this. What do I have to do?” Birth pool. Hot towels. Warm water. Plastic sheet to cover the birth pool. Ice for Kyungie. So many things to do. I started to panic. I walked up and down the bedroom, unsure of where to start.

“Jongin!” Kyungie grasped my arm. “Calm down.”

He then proceeded to pull me towards the bed and crawled back onto the mattress.

“Wait. What are you doing? Are you in pain? Shouldn’t we call the doctor? Do I need to get the pool set up?” Shocked at his calm demeanor, I couldn’t help but think Kyungie had gone mad! What was he doing?

“Relax, Jongin. It’ll take some time. The babies won’t come so soon. Plus the contractions are still not painful and far apart. Come here. We should rest.”

Rest? But there were so many things to be done!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

On the bed

I felt a wave of calm swept over me.

I looked at Jongin, who was still fretting around our bedroom.

“Come here.” I lifted my arms to beckon him.

He started to say something but decided not to. After a moment of hesitation, he laid down beside me. I snuggled into the crook of his arm and rested my giant belly on his flat stomach. Soon I felt my consciousness ebbing away and I felt into a comfortable calming sleep.

I had no idea how long I slept but I woke up to the tightening of my stomach area. Ah this one felt different from the Braxton Hicks contractions that I had been feeling the past month. This must be a real labour contraction. It didn’t hurt yet; just a tad too uncomfortable for me to sleep through it. It lasted for about thirty seconds before it went away.

“A contraction?”

I looked up to see Jongin completely wide awake. Seemed like he calmed down a little. Guessing that I wouldn’t be able to hide it from him anyways, I just nodded.

“Do you want me to start timing?”

“Ok.”

Instead of going back to sleep, we just talked. We laid in bed and talked. About anything and everything. Every time I had a contraction, I would tighten my grip on his hand and he would time the contraction. Once it was over, he would jot down the time the contraction started and the duration of the contraction. Then we will continue talking.

Slowly the contractions started to get stronger and closer together. Sweat lined my face. The contractions were starting to hurt, like a very bad cramp in the stomach. When lying down became unbearable, Jongin and I stood up and walked around the bedroom together. Whenever I had a contraction, I would squat down and moaned while I swayed my hips.

Man, did they hurt.

By the time it was six in the morning, my contractions was about five to six minutes apart. That was when I decided I needed a shower. So I labored in the shower for an hour, allowing the water to soothe the pain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jongin’s POV

In the shower

Watching Kyungsoo go through these waves of pain over and over again was too painful to watch. I wanted to run away so bad. To escape the scene. To just leave and come back when the babies were born. But I knew I had to be strong for him. I knew how much the contractions were hurting him; his hands would clasp mine so tightly that his nails were making indents in my skin. But he didn’t scream or shout. He simply moaned as he closed his eyes in concentration.

What I wouldn’t give to take his place right now.

Never again. No more children. I don’t want him to go through this again.

Finally the contraction ended and checking the clock I realised that contraction lasted a minute long and it was five minutes from the previous contraction.

“Jongin.” Kyungsoo was sitting in the shower, slightly panting.

“Ya?”

“It’s time.”

“Time for what?”

“Time to start preparing.”

Something clicked in my head and I went straight into action mode. I quickly dried Kyungsoo up and put him in some fresh clothes. Then I ran to woke the members up and chase them out of the house, except Suho and Baekhyun who Kyungsoo wanted at the birth. The two of them snapped right into their role of supporting Kyungsoo, taking the timings and breathing through each contraction with him. Next, I phoned our doctor to notify her and started inflating the birth pool. After lining the pool with plastic sheets, I filled it up with warm water.

By the time the gynaecologist and her assistant arrived, there was just the four of us in the house, with soothing music playing in the background and the birth pool all set up and ready for Kyungsoo to use. The moment Kyungsoo climbed into the birth pool, she did a quick examination and determined that he was already 6cm dilated.

I took over Baekhyun in supporting Kyungsoo while he went to prepare the camera to take the twins’ first pictures. I damped a towel on Kyungsoo’s face to wipe away the sweat and whispered encouraging words into his ear. It pained me so much to see him in so much pain but I focused on supporting him instead of those useless thoughts. By now, the contractions were one to two minutes apart and Kyungsoo’s face would frown in grimace and pain at each contraction. The doctor was preparing her gloves and equipment when Kyungsoo announced.

“I want to push.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

In the birthing pool

Jongin was whispering words of endearment and encouragement in my ear and I concentrated on his voice every time I had a contraction. It was the worst pain I had ever felt in my life. The contractions were getting so close to each other that I barely had time to rest before the next contraction came.

Then, I felt it.

The urge to puse.

The urge to just bear down.

“I want to push.”

The doctor immediately put on her gloves and prepared towels in her hand’s reach to wrap the baby once it was born. She propped my legs up and spread them open.

“Ok, Kyungsoo ah. Take a deep breath and push.”

I inhaled and started pushing.

“Harder, Kyungsoo, harder.”

“You can do it, Kyung ah!” Suho shouted.

“Ok. Another deep breath and push! Harder, harder.” The doctor urged me on, “Kyungsoo ah, relax your body and push.”

“I can’t do this,” I whimpered as I grasped tightly onto Jongin’s hand.

“Yes you can. Yes you can. I believe in you. Believe in yourself,” he whispered.

Then I decided to just let my body take over my mind. I was exhausted from the hours of labour and was both mentally and physically drained. But Jongin was right, I had to trust my own body.

I took a deep breath and pushed as hard as I could.

“Ahhh! It hurts!” I felt the ring of fire as the baby’s head stretched my opening.

“Breathe through it, Kyungsoo. You’re doing great! The baby is crowning already!”

“UGH!” I gave another push and the baby’s head was out. I was panting heavily. The contraction had ended and the urge to push had subsided. I reached down to touch my baby’s head. I was beyond exhausted but I felt a new surge of energy that I didn’t know I had. Soon, the next contraction came and I pushed as hard as I could again. The baby’s body slid out of me and the wails of a newborn baby filled the house. There and then, there was no sound more beautiful than hearing that little voice.

The doctor placed the baby on my chest with the cord still attached and wrapped a towel around his tiny body.

I was so shocked at how beautiful he was. I had watched a lot of childbirth videos to prepare for this day  but nothing really prepared me for this moment. I expected him to look really rough and cheesy but he was just so pink and rosy. His little mouth wide open and protesting wildly from being out of my warm safe belly. His tiny arms and legs were failing around. And then he opened his eyes. Those were the most mesmerizing eyes I had ever since. The moment he caught my eye, he stopped crying and wrinkled his cute little button nose.  

 

He was perfect.

Absolutely perfect.

 

 “Dongwoo ah.” I said through my tears. I looked up at Jongin and he too was crying. I craned my neck to lock lips with him and he wrapped his arms around me, his eyes still trained on Dongwoo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jongin’s POV

He was the most beautiful thing I had ever set eyes on. My son. Our son.

I felt an overwhelming surge of love and pride. Kyungsoo and I bonded instantly with this tiny human being. Staring into his little inquisitive eyes, I could not help by stare in awe at the life Kyungsoo and I had created. My dreams were now filled with his bright future and the infinite possibilities this tiny body held.

The power of life.

My overflowing tears could not stop.

Suddenly, Kyungsoo winced from a contraction and he quickly handed the baby to me.

The doctor’s assistant clamped the cord and handed me a scissors to cut the cord. Snip. And there went the baby’s physical connection with Kyungsoo. She proceeded to clean the baby and weigh him while I went back to supporting Kyungsoo.

Jungwoo came out much quicker than Dongwoo did and we were all crying happy tears by the time he was born. Suho was in a total blubbering mess of tears while Baekhyun was tearing up while snapping photos of the twins. To see Jungwoo being born amazed me just as much as Dongwoo’s birth did. And I found myself crying again. The immerse amount of pride that filled me was just indescribable. My sons! Such intense love and attachment.

As I cut Jungwoo’s cord, Kyungsoo cradled the precious crying child in his arms and began singing to him the same lullaby that we used to sing to them when they were still in his womb. Jungwoo looked at Kyungsoo with a gaze of acknowledgment and stopped crying dead in his tracks. It was as if in that instant, he recognized the sound of Kyungsoo’s voice.

The way Jungwoo looked at Kyungsoo like he was the most important person in the world brought fresh tears to my eyes. It was so surreal. I placed my finger in his tiny palm and he immediately wrapped his chubby little fingers around mine. Memories of the entire pregnancy flooded my mind. I had loved the two of them the moment I found out about them but this love intensified the moment I laid eyes on them. All the problems and worries just melted away at that moment and my life became perfect.

 

 

 

Soon both babies were cleaned and weighed. Kyungsoo had birthed the placenta and washed up. He laid in our bed resting ; the doctor placed both babies in his arms and said her congrats.

Looking at the two babies now clean and swaddled up in Kyungsoo’s arms, I knew in that moment.

 

What it meant to be parent.

The way your whole world changes.

The way your own priorities became the least important.

The pride and honour to be able to be part of this two beautiful angels’ life.

The willingness to go beyond limits for them.

The sacrifices you would make for them without a second of hesitation.

The immense joy you get from just watching them laugh and smile.

 

 

The unconditional love you have for your children.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

Looking at the two babies in my arms, I felt a love that was so beautiful and unbearable and also the fear from the knowledge that Jongin and I would be the ones nurturing and teaching them. It was a great trust and every day I have to remember that we are so privileged to be their dads.

Jongin gently lifted Jungwoo from my arms and cooed over him. Seeing my son in Jongin’s arms was one of the most tender moments of my life. Watching him change and grow to become a father had given me a whole host of new reasons to love him. 

Soon the members returned and Jongin started showing off the boys like a proud father. I could see his pride bursting from the look of his face.

And then I knew that we now both understood what it meant to be a parent. Our life was no longer about just the two of us... life was about our two sons. Dongwoo and Jungwoo. Their health, happiness, heart, soul, and spirit were all that matters now. As long as they had that... We as parents had no worries.

They were now the proof of our lives.

 

Today was indeed a special day.

Today, my sons were born.

Today, we became parents.

 

 

 

 

Today, we became a family.

 

 

 

*End*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: So…. It has been completed. It’s not very long :/ but longer than my usual chapter :D

I wrote this fic without any expectations. I wasn’t sure if people would read it. I wasn’t sure if people would like.

But each day to see those black tabs at the left side of my screen every time I logged into AFF just made me feel so happy and grateful. Reading all your comments gave me a lot of motivation to keep writing. Many times when I get stuck, someone would leave a nice comment and lift my spirits up.

So….

 A big big thank you to all who read this story and followed me all the way to the end. I sincerely hope you liked it and enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. You guys have made my experience here on AFF beyond wonderful <3

It is quite sad to end a story because it feels like I’m saying goodbye to a group of friends that I have made. T-T

 

So um… sequel, anyone?

 

 

~

@Fluttershy123: Updated ^^ Hope I didn’t disappoint! Thank you so much for reading and always leaving a comment! I will miss you guys :(

@myungielove: Past the 37 weeks mark is usually safe and the babies are considered full term^^

@donutt: HAHA I actually thought about that. naming the twins Kyungin and Jongsoo but decided against it because I thought that it’ll be too confusing to read LOL . Anyway, I just wanted to say a big thank you to you for sticking with me throughout the entire fic and your constant commenting. They were my biggest source of motivation to write…. Lurvvvvee you!!! <3

@MarshmallowHyun: THANK YOU!! ^^ Jongwoo and Kyungwoo? I like that hahaha. I would have used those names if I knew it earlier haha. It didn’t occur to me because I chose the name Dongwoo first. Then Jungwoo sounded like a nice name as well.  So Dongwoo and Jungwoo, it became.

@K0r3aL0va: You are the CUTEST thing! Glad to be the first to cite you! Here’s your second citation HAHAHA! Thank you for reading my fic!!! Means a LOT to me! :D

@ahnjinnaforkaisoo:  I am pretty sure Kyungsoo and Jongin will make pretty babies. After all, they are both so good-looking so their genes must be able to make good-looking babies too, right? HAHA

@SHINee2MinJongKey19: Thanks for reading. Hope you like the last chapter! :)