It Hurts

It Hurts

Taeyeon's POV

I entered the car, placing my duffel bag in the back seat, sliding into the passenger seat. I looked over and saw that my dad was still wearing his white coat from the hospital.

"Hey Doctor." I joked.

Usually, he would joke along with me, but he sighed deeply. I frowned, "What's wrong?"

"It's her again." he sighed.

I immediately knew who he was talking about. Stephanie Hwang, also known as Tiffany. He had told me many times about her.

I always felt bad. She is stuck in that hospital, while kids around her age are out partying and doing regular things like that. 

"What happened?" I asked. My dad still didn't move the car.

He stared at the driving wheel, "She just doesn't think about the positives.."

I bit my lip, "Dad, if you were in her position, would you think it would be easy to look at the brighter sides of things?"

He looked at me, "Oh.. I haven't thought about that. But.. I had to leave her to pick you up."

I raised an eyebrow, "Then let's go to the hospital to visit her."

"Really?" he smiled.

I nodded, "Let's go."

-------

"Taeyeon, I think you might want to wait outside." my dad told me.

I nodded and leaned on the wall next to the door. He entered the room. Doctors and nurses began to pile into the room. I wondered what was happening, then I heard screaming.

"No! I don't want to!" a husky, female voice said, like she was pained. I'm guesing that was Tiffany.

"It hurts!" she screamed, saying it over and over again.

I heard my fathers voice, "Tiffany. This will ease the pain." I had to smile, even in a situation like this, my father still managed to stay calm.

My smiled dropped as I heard the sobs of the girl. "It won't ease anything!"

I heard whimpers and crying until I saw all the nurses and doctors flush out, except my dad. I peeked into the room. I saw a girl with brown hair curling herself into a ball, my dad was sitting beside her, whispering to her. My heart clenched at the sight. The girl's shoulders were shaking due to her sobbing.

I bit my lip as the girl continued to cry.

"...Taeyeon." I heard my dad say.

The girl looked up, and I looked at my dad. He gestured me over. I pushed myself off the doorway I was leaning on, walking over to my dad and Tiffany.

Tiffany raised a hand, stopping me there. She lowered her head, "Don't look at me. I'm pathetic."

My eyes softened. My dad was about to say something, but I did, "You're not pathetic." I said as softly as I possibly could.

She looked up, looking into my eyes, "That's a lie."

I shook my head, "It isn't, just because you're sick doesn't mean you're pathetic."

She scoffed and looked away, "Sure."

I shrugged, "It's true. If you don't want to believe me, you don't have to."

Her sniffs were the only things that were heard in the room. She continued looking out the window. I followed her eyesight and saw that she was staring at the cars that were going by.

"Miyoung!" I heard a deep voice. 

Tiffany looked over and smiled, "Daddy."

My heart raced at the sight of her smile, it was beautiful. Her eyes turned into cresent shaped moons and her smile showed off her white teeth.

The man walked over to the bedside, I stepped away so he could get closer. He smiled thankfully at me before sitting on the bed, next to Tiffany.

"Are you alright?"

She smiled and nodded, "Yea.."

He gave her the container he held in his hand along with a spoon. Tiffany sighed before opening the container, revealing plain, white rice. Tiffany looked like she hated rice.

"Tiff, you know that rice is the only food your body allows you to eat, right?" her father said quietly.

Suddenly, I felt like I was intruding, so I began to walk out the room. My dad caught my wrist, I looked at him.

"Stay." he mouthed.

I raised an eyebrow, as if I were asking 'Why?'

He shook his head, "Stay." He mouthed again.

I bit my lip, but sat on the couch in the corner of the room, watching Tiffany eat the rice slowly. I noticed all the bandaids on her arm. Was it because of the needles? My father told me alot about this girl. He said she is like his second daughter.

I watched the three people sitting on the hospital bed, chatting. For a moment, if Tiffany wasn't stuck in the hospital, it seemed like she was actually enjoying her time. 

I noticed how pretty Tiffany actually was. If I didn't see her in the hospital, I would have thought she was perfectly normal.

My dad turned his body and gestured me over. I got off the couch and walked over, standing awkwardly next to the bed.

"This is my daughter, Kim Taeyeon." he said to Tiffany.

I nodded slightly to Tiffany who nodded back at me. My father and her father looked inbetween us to. I raised an eyebrow at their weird actions.

My father cleared his throat, "So, since you two are the same age, we figured you guys could become friends."

"Friends?" Tiffany and I said at the same time. We both looked at each other, before sheepishly turning back to our fathers.

They smiled at our interaction before her father nodded, "Friends."

Tiffany scoffed, "I doubt she can stay my friend for a day."

I raised an eyebrow, "Is that a bet?"

She raised an eyebrow back at me, "If you want it to be."

I smiled slightly, "Alright, it's a bet. If I can't stay friends with you for a whole day, then you win. But, if I do, then you lost."

She smiled back at me, "Alright. But I'm warning you, I have major pains, and I have mood swings."

"I'll take a note." I replied.

My father clapped his hands, "Alright! Then you girls are friends. Taeyeon, since you are Tiffany's FRIEND, can you watch over her while I go to other patients?"

"Watch over?" I asked.

He nodded, "If she is in pain, just comfort her. We already gave her the max amount of needle injections for the day, so she can't have anymore. But feel free to let her take pain killers in the cabinet over there." he said as he pointed to the cabinet next to the couch I was sitting on earlier.

I nodded, "Alright."

Her father sighed, "I have to get back to work, Miyoung. I was on my lunch break."

Tiffany frowned, "You skipped lunch because of me?" I could tell she was feeling guilty.

Her father kissed her forehead, "Don't worry, you are much more important than my lunch."

I smiled at the scene. Her father stood from the bed and walk over to me. He patted my head in a fatherly way, "Take care of my daughter."

I felt like they were sort of putting pressure on me, but I managed to smile and nod. My dad patted me on the back before they left Tiffany and I alone in the hospital room. I didn't really know what to do, so I decided just to do my homework while Tiffany does whatever she usually does. I sat on the couch, doing my homework on my lap. I glanced up at Tiffany and saw that she was writing on a pad of sticky notes. She looked like she was concentrated on something, her eyebrows furrowed. I smiled slightly at the sight before continuing to do my homework.

I began to think about the bet I had made with her. I felt slightly guilty that I turned it into a bet. It makes it sound like I only want to be her friend because of the dumb bet I came up with. But in reality, I actually want to be her friend.

Why?

Because it looks like she needs one.