DARAma

Dara's Status

 

 The little girl’s eyes roam around the mansion in awe. She was clutching her dirty ragdoll like her life depended on it.  She felt so out of place standing in the middle of this lavish mansion. Her old dress which color has faded is full of stiches.  Her  leather shoes which is almost not suitable for wearing  due to the hole in the toe cap looks like a trash when she step it inside the newly cleaned marble floor.

 

She touches the bag at her back just to make sure everything is still there. Her bag contains the most important things that were left of her. Her bag contains a picture of her mother and father, a locket which is given to her by her parents on her seventh birthday and her father’s journal which contains very important information.  She was brought back to the present time when she heard footsteps approaching her. She turned around and she saw a very beautiful girl.

 

Unlike her, this girl obviously grew up in comfort and luxury. The girl is wearing a very pretty dress and her shoes are decorated with beads and rhinestones in it. I think we are of the same age. She is eyeing me with curiosity. She looked at the man beside her and she began asking question.

 

“Who is she?” she pointed at me. I saw the man beside her crouched and looked into her eyes. With tender voice he explained to her about my existence.

 

“Subin ah, I want you to meet Minyung. She is your Uncle Yungsoo and Auntie Seoyun’s daughter. From now on she will be staying here with us.” The man told Subin. My eyes widen when Subin run towards me and lock me in a warm hug.

 

“Minyung, I’m sorry with what happened to your father. Don’t worry Sunbin,  Appa and I will be your family now. I can be your sister Subin.” I look at her and I saw tears in her eyes. My expression remained passive. I don’t want to remember anything about my parents’ death. I want to bury it deep in my mind. I want to bury it so deep where only me knows about it. Because behind their death is a secret that only me and the killer knows.

 

Subin tried her best to make me feel welcome in their family. We can barely see Uncle Sonjo in the house. I’ve overheard the maids one time that he is the leading agent in SPO. SPO, I’ve heard my Mom and Dad talking about it before. My mom is always worried about my Dad. I always hear her say that SPO will find out soon.

 

Despite Uncle Sonjo’s busy schedule, I’ve noticed how much. he loves Subin. Usually he has this very authoritative and menacing aura but when it comes to Yubin, he suddenly transform into a very loving father. I’ve even overheard him telling Yubin that she is his source of happiness, his life.

Years have pass and I am now twenty seven. I am working as one of the special agent in SPO which stands for Supreme Prosecutors' Office of the Republic of Korea. Uncle Sonjo is now the Head of SPO. People around me have too much expectation on me being the adopted daughter of Sonjo. Ever since he adopted me, I have been pushing myself to be someone who he can be proud of.

 

As for Yubin, well she grew up to be the best daughter any parent could be proud of. She’s beautiful, intelligent, a prima ballerina, to cut it short she is everything I am not.

 

“Wassup Miny” I was interrupted from my reminiscing when Soochun lightly hit my head.

 

If you are wondering who Soochun is, well Soochun is my best friend. We’ve known each other since college. We were classmates and eventually became best friends. We are the top students in our class. He is the first and I always come next.

“Yah! My name is not Miny, stop calling me that.” I hit is stomach a little bit hard and I saw him flinch.

“Damn girl you hit so hard. Maybe you should start hanging out with Subin so she can teach you some finesse.” He was still running his hands on his stomach.

 

“Shut up!” I growled at him.

 

“Wooh, is it the time of the month? Why are you so grumpy?” he continued questioning me. I glared at him then turned my back on him. But this best friend of mine just don’t get it. He went to sit in front of me then started analyzing my behavior.

 

“I knew it! You are grumpy because you have no boyfriend. Aha! You need some TLC Miny. Come on, let’s go get you a boyfriend. Hmmm do you want anyone here in SPO. Hmmm, on the other hand I don’t want any of the guys here to be your boyfriend. They are so unworthy of you.” He continued blabbering irrelevant words.

 

“Soochun six words! SHUT …UP…AND…LEAVE..ME…ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!” My face is turning so red now. Steams are coming out of my ears and nose.

 

“Oh, someone’s angry….I’m getting scared!!!” Soochun is provoking me even more. I heard the other guys laughing at us. My mind suddenly went berserk and before I knew it I give him a left jab right into his stomach. I saw Soochun crouch on the floor after.

 

“Don’t mess with me Choi”. I left him and went outside my office. I headed to the rooftop to cool down.  There are just so many things that have happened these past few days. Five agents died from our previous operation. There has been a thorough investigation within our department. Many believe that we are infiltrated by a spy. Someone among us is a traitor. I let out a heavy breath as event of our recent operation flashback on my mind.

 

“Team, base on our intelligence report, the shipment will happen today. I want you to prepare yourselves; we need to catch them on the act. This should never leak out.” Soochun, our team leader is briefing us for our operation. This is going to be one of our biggest projects.

 

We went to the abandoned building where the drug dealers operation will take place. We quietly approached the building. The place is eerily quiet, something is definitely not right here. The moment we step inside the building, we were greeted by the sound of firing guns, bullets are flying everywhere. We are being ambushed.

 

 We secured ourselves to a safer place. We exchange bullets with the perpetrators. I heard Soochun called for back up. I look around and saw that some of our men were hit. I aimed my gun and in just few minutes I was able to get 10 people down. After 30 minutes of continuous exchange of bullets, we declared the area clear.

 

We went out of our hiding place and inspect the area. Soochun and I are checking the place when I saw from my peripheral view that one of the goons is still alive and is now aiming his gun to Soochun. I quickly shove Soochun down and fired my gun. I saw my bullet hit the guy’s forehead. Soochun quickly stand up after that and looked around us. His eyes were terrified when he saw the blood gushing out of my shoulder. He run towards me and check my shoulders.

 

“Medics, please!!! His booming voice was heard in the place. I heard hurried footsteps approaching us before my eyes finally surrendered due to the excruciating pain.

 

It took me four days to be discharge out of  the hospital. Soochun was so mad at me for trying to shield my body to protect him. Yubin visited me in the hospital and began lecturing me about not taking care of myself. She’s forcing me to leave my job.

 

I reported in the office today. Uncle Sonjo reprimanded our team for the failed operation. Apparently it was just a trap and he can’t believe that our unit fell into the perpetrators trap causing the lives of five agents.

 

The sound of my phone ringing brought me back to my current state. I check who my caller is and a faint smile appeared on my lips.

 

“Anneyeong!” I waited for the caller to answer me.

 

“Minyung ah, I would like to remind you about our dinner tonight. I will really hate you if you will not show up. This is very important Minyung ah.” This is the fourth time that Subin has called me today. I wonder what is the important event that will happen today that needs my presence.

 

“Seven P.M. sharp, at Park Hotel. Yes Subin ah, I will be there.” I heard her say goodbye before hanging up the phone. I check my watch and it’s already six o’clock. I still have one hour to prepare.

 

I saw Uncle Sonjo, Subin and Soochun in a reserve table. I approach them and greeted them. Subin stands up and kiss me on the cheeks.

 

We were talking casually while having dinner.

 

“I miss you Minyung! So how’s your shoulder now?” Concern was written on her face.

 

“It’s almost healed.” I answered nonchalantly.

 

“So what’s so important about this day?” I look at the people in our table. We are done with our dinner now and we’re only having our champagne.

 

Yubin look at me and showed me her left hand. I saw a diamond ring in her ring finger.

 

“I’m getting married!!! Soochun proposed to me last night.” Her eyes are gleaming with happiness. I look at my bestfriend and I can see the same in his eyes. 

 

“Minyung ah, will you be my maid of honor?  She was looking at me expectantly.

 

“Okay.” My voice sounds so lifeless. I saw them kiss in front of me and I just felt my heart break into tiny pieces. Can I tell you a secret? I am in love with Soochun. I am in love with my bestfriend Soochun who is in love with my sister Yubin who is the daughter of the man who adopted me. This is how complicated my life is.

 

“Are you okay Minyung? Soochun ask me.

“Ah, I just felt a little dizzy, might be the effect of the medicines I took. Hmm, congratulations guys, I’m happy for both of you. Uncle, Yubin, Soochun, I’m sorry for spoiling the fun but can I leave now? My head is throbbing.” I tried to look convincing in from of them.

“Do you want me to ask the driver to bring you to your place? Uncle Sonjoo offered.

“No need Uncle, I will just take a cab.” I stand up from my seat and bid them goodbye.

 

With hurried steps I opened my apartment and went to my room. I searched for my old bag hidden in my vault. I sat on my bed with the old bag in my hands. I carefully take out the things inside my old bag. I saw my family pictures with my biological parents, my locket given to me on my seventh birthday and my father’s journal.

 

My eyes suddenly blazed with anger. I can’t take this anymore. This has to stop. These people should stop taking away my happiness. I’ve waited for years. Every years of my life, I have painstakingly planned everything. And it has reached full circle. They’ve take my happiness 20 years ago; it’s time I take their happiness now.

 

Can you keep a secret?

 I am Lee Minyung, the daughter of Lee Yoongsoo and Lee Seoyon. My parents were murdered right before my very eyes. Up to now, I can still remember what the murderer looks like. I sleep for the past 20 years of my life with the look of the killer’s face while shooting my parents to death haunting me. Do you want to know who the killer is?

 

Choi Sonjo…the man who adopted me after my parents’ death, Yubin’s father, SPO’s head and the man I called Uncle.

Pure rage is painted all over Minyungs face. She looks straight into nothing in particular before saying the following words.

“Time is up Sonjo. I’ll take away your happiness soon just like how you took my happiness away.”

 

 

 

Loud claps and cheers resonated within the YG cafeteria. Almost everyone are gathered here today to watch my first ever drama in Korea. Looking at their faces, I can’t help but feel proud of myself.

“Congratulations Dara, you nailed it. You’ve made me so proud; well you’ve made our family so proud.” Sajangnim approach me and pats my back.

“Wooohhhh Dara daebak! Aigo you are so badass Dara yah.” Bom hugged me tightly.

“Dara Unnie, your action scenes are so dope. You really can pass as an agent.” Minzy hugs me then imitates the way I aim my gun in the drama.

“My wifey is now a certified actress.” Chaerin holds my hands tightly.

“Noona, what will happen next. Can’t wait for the next episode.” Ji hye told me. Everyone agreed.

 

 

Everyone was congratulating me. And if I am going to base their reaction on this episode I believe that all the hard work has paid off. I felt my eyes get misty hearing the compliments and positive feedback. My mind wondered on the past four months and on how I exactly became an official actress in Korea.

My acting workshop just ended when I saw Hyesun heading towards me. I excitedly meet her and we hug each other.

“Dara, come on let’s take a coffee together. I have something important to tell you.” Hyesun is one of my closest friends here in YG. When Sajangnim invited me for an acting workshop in 2004, she became my first friend in YG. We are of the same age and basically we are both actress; Hyesun here in Korea and me in the Philippines.

We went to a coffee shop near YG building. We settled ourselves in our seats and started catching up with each other.

 

“Hyesun I heard you have another exhibit. When are you going to feature me in your paintings?” I ask her candidly. My friend aside from being and actress is also an artist. She is a very talented girl.

 

“Aigo, when the right concept comes, I will commission you to be my model.” She placed her cup of coffee in the table and look at me intently.

“Dara, I know that you are dying to act in a drama, it’s been one of your longtime dreams.” I looked at her curiously and nodded my head.

“I already asked Sajangnim about 2ne1’s schedule and he told me that it may take a while before you’ll make a comeback. Dara, Director Kim will be having an audition for the two lead female roles is this drama. I have read the script and I only thought of you while reading it. There’s this character named Subin, and I believe that you are fit for this role. You are Subin.

“But Hyesun, how about 2ne1, how about the other girls.” I have always wanted to act in a Korean drama, but our group’s hectic schedule prevented me from doing it.

“Dara, it is now or never. And now is the perfect time. Your group is on hiatus. The other girls are busy with their own projects. It’s about time Dara.” Hyesun is trying her best to convince me.

“I know you’re hesitant but here, read this. If you change your mind, you can go to SBS Building on Wednesday. Audition starts at exactly 10:00 A.M. I really have to go now Dara.” She kissed me on the cheeks then went out of the café.

 

I stayed there for a couple of hours totally immersed with the script I’m reading. As I finished reading the script I finally made up my mind. I went out of the café and run towards YG building. I went directly to Sajangnims office and barge into it.

“Sorry Sir but can I have a moment with you please. I just want to discuss something.” Sajangnim has a puzzled expression on his face, but upon noticing my determined face he motioned me to sit down.

“Sajangnim, I would like to audition for a drama.” I told him with full determination in my voice.

“And which Drama are you interested to audition with?” YG ask.

I give him the script and I saw him take a look at it. He looked at me for a few minutes then started telling me about 2ne1’s comeback.

“Dara, I think this is impossible. There might be conflict on your schedule as 2ne1 and you being an actress.” I suddenly feel so down after I heard Sajangnim. But I badly need this one, I badly want it. This one is for me. So with all the guts I have I voice out what is on my mind.

“But Sajangnim, we’re not doing anything. There are no projects or shows for 2ne1. Our comeback is still undetermined. Please Sir, let me try this please.” I am begging Sajangnim for this project.

“Okay Dara, which character would you like to portray.”

“I believe I am suited for the role Yubin.” I told her confidently.

“Let’s have a deal Dara. Go to the audition, if you get accepted then I’ll allow you to act.”

“Thank you Sajangnim, I’ll do my best.” I stand up from my seat and I was supposed to leave when Sajangnim called me again.

“Dara, I want you to audition for the role of Minyung.” I felt my confidence shattered after what Sajangnim told me.

 

I am walking back and forth in my room. Today is the audition for the SBS drama. Sajangnim’s mind is really wicked. How can he allow me to audition for a role that is totally out of my character. I was aiming for Yubin because she is me. Yubin is like me in real life while Minyung is my exact opposite.

 

Minyung is adventurous, a fighter, and very vengeful. The only thing common between us is our love and loyalty for our family. I looked at the script in my bed. I think this not for me. I should just really concentrate on 2ne1. I almost give up the idea of going to audition when I remember what my acting coach has always told me.

There is no perfect role for an actor. There is only an actor who makes the role perfect. Mediocre actors make the characters come to life by just being themselves. Great actors make their characters totally different from who they are in real life. They make their character a new person.

 

With renewed determination and courage, I took out my car keys and rushed to SBS building. The waiting area is already empty; I went to the receptionist and told her I am here for the audition. I give her my papers and waited for her answer.

“Sorry Dara Unnie, but the Audition ended two minutes ago.” I slump in one of the chair. How can I let this opportunity passed.  Pabo Dara! I saw the receptionist went inside the door. I sit there for almost ten minutes before finally deciding to leave the place. Maybe this is not really for me. I was about to leave when the receptionist went out of the room and called me.

 

“Dara Unnie, you can go inside. I give your papers inside and they want you to try the audition.

“Thank you, thank you so much.” I hug the receptionist and went towards the room. Before opening the door, I let out a deep breath and cheered myself.

“Fighting Dara! Actress Sandara Park Fighting!

 

When I step inside the room I saw four people sitting in the long table. The only people I recognize are Actor Kim Soo Ro and Director Kim. There are also members of staff filming the audition.

 

I greeted them and bowed to them. I waited for anyone from the panelists to speak. I saw them checking my papers. After five minutes of just standing there, Director Kim looked at me and asked me, 

“Tell me your name and tell me something about yourself.”

“I am Lee Minyung, and I work as an agent for SPO.” I began my introduction and I saw all of them turned to look at me.

“How do you spend your normal day?” Kim Soo Ro asked.

“Every moment of my life, I dream of avenging my parents’ death. I live and breathe hatred towards the murderer who mercilessly killed my parents. In my mind I intricately plan his downfall. I look forward for the day when I can see him writhe in pain because he no longer have the  source of his happiness.” My voice is lace with so much anger. Everyone in the room can feel my hatred towards that person.

“What can you do for the people you love?” Director Kim.

“I can kill someone for the one I love. I will die for the people I love.” I am no longer Sandara Park. The person standing in front of the panelists is Lee Minyung. The little child who witnessed the brutal murder of his parents, the little child who is dying to avenge her parents’ death.

 

“Do you get lonely?” one of the panelists asked me.

“Ever since my parents’ death, I have known nothing but loneliness. My heart yearns for my mother and father’s love.” Tears started falling in my eyes when I recalled the happy times with my parents. Painful sobs can be heard in the room. No one dared to stop the heartbreaking scene that is happening. They let Minyung let out all the pain and angst that has been consuming her system for a long time.

 

After a moment, deafening claps and cheers can be heard in the audition room. I look at the judges and they are all standing. I am still trying to calm myself from the intense emotions that I’ve felt as Minyung.

“Miss Park, you’ve done well in the audition. We will call you once we come up with the result. Thank you for showing interest for the drama.” Director Kim told me. I bowed to them and said my thanks. I bid them farewell and left the audition room.

 

I went to the receptionist to say my thanks.

“Thank you so much for giving me the chance to audition. If it wasn’t for you, I may have never made it to the audition.”

“Dara Unnie, it’s no big deal. I’m a Daraling. I know that this is one of your dreams. I know you’ll get the role Dara Unnie.” She smiled at me and I felt my heart overwhelmed with happiness. It is very heartwarming every time my fans express their confidence in me. They have so much faith in me.

“Wish me luck then.” I smiled at her and give her a hug. She asked for an autograph and ask me for a picture. She didn’t take photos with me, so I asked her.

“Can I take a photograph with you? This is my first audition for a long time and I want to have something as a token. I believe you are my lucky charm today.”  I saw her eyes get misty after what I said. We took pictures together, one on my cellphone and one for her. I bid her goodbye and left the building.

 

I went to YG Building after the audition. I was relaxing in one of the many rooms of the building together with the dancers and other trainees when I received a call from an unregistered number. I answered the call and I just received one of those few calls that will literally change your life.

“Hello is this Miss Sandara Park? The caller asked me.

“Yes this is Sandara Park speaking. Is there anything that I can help you with?

“Miss Park this is Director Choi, we are happy to inform you that you are casted for the role of Lee Minyung for the SBS drama “Deceitful Hearts”. Kindly coordinate with SBS productions for the upcoming schedules. Again Miss Park congratulations and I look forward to working with you soon.” After the call, I was just standing there totally mindless of what is happening around me.

“Dara Unnie, are you okay? Ji Hye lightly slapped my shoulder to awaken me from my temporary slumber.

“Ji Hye, I’m Lee Minyung!” She looks so confused.

“Ha ha guys I’m Lee Minyung!!! I started chanting which got all their attention.

“Waaahhhhhhhh, I’m Lee Minyung!! I made it, I made it! With fist held up, I started dancing my Krung krung dance. Deukkie who thought I finally lose my mind, tried to restrain me.

“Noona, please calm down.” I looked at him and I took his hands.

“Deukkie, Noona is going to be an actress. Oh my gosh, I’m going to be an actress.” Upon learning the reason of my sudden craziness, they also joined me in celebrating. I went on top of the table and continued dancing my Krungkrung dance. We are all dancing and jumping around when the room suddenly opened. The shock expression of YG Sajangnim, Teddy Oppa, Jinu Oppa and Sean Oppa will forever be sketched in my mind.

“What is happening here? Sajangnim asked when he finally recovered from his shock.

“Sajangnim, everyone, I PASSED THE AUDITION AND I GOT THE ROLE. I’M GOING TO BE AN ACTRESS! I told everyone in my loudest voice. Happiness is radiating within me.

 

Seems like yesterday when I received that call from Director Kim. And now my drama is on its third episode. Can I be boastful just for today. Yes, no? Yes, my first ever K drama where I am one of the lead role is Korea’s number Drama right now. I am part of a drama where the production is making history in Korean TV.

I was reading Chosun Ilbo, one of Korea’s leading newpaper, review on my drama’s previous episode.

“Kim Soo Ro’s portrayal of Sonjo is fantastic. I love how his character brings spice in the drama. Hyun Bin is definitely back after his long hiatus. I can’t think of any actor more fitting for the role Soochun. The way he portrays his character makes all the women wish that Soochun exist in real life. And Park Shin Hye, what more can I say, she is not called one of Korea’s acting royalty for nothing. Shin Hye’s effective acting makes people love Subin more.

And lastly, my precious Sandara Park. I will say thank you to Yang Hyun Suk for finally letting Sandara Park act. Sandara Park is born to be a star and now is the time to take the place where she rightfully belongs. She is an actress. Acting just comes to her naturally. While watching her, I don’t remember the Dara Park of 2ne1. All I see is a lady oozing with charisma and mystery. Her portrayal of her role makes you hate and love Minyung. I will definitely sue all the award giving bodies for acting if Sandara won’t get an acting award for this. Sandara dear, prepare your gown now because you will surely be getting up the stage to get your first acting thophy.”

 

Great things are just starting, yes, there’s more to come. Thank you Lord, Thank you. I clasped my hands as I look forward for the coming days.

 

Author’s note: There was a trending event with the hash tag #KDARAma4Dara2NE1. So to commemorate the event, I decided to post this chapter. Did anyone of you join in trending? Anyway I think I just had a brain hemorrhage after writing the drama scenes.

Thank you once again to all my subscribers and readers. As of writing this chapter, we have 14 votes, 133 subscribers and 176 comments. Thank you so much guys, I am deeply touched.

Please don’t forget to leave your comments after reading this. I enjoyed reading all your comments. Base on the comments on the previous chapter, everybody wants a suffering Dragon.

linlin_10^______^