She's Back

We're Not 12 Anymore; We're 13!

“I can’t come,” Hyun Jae’s brother, Ming Lee said curtly over the phone. “I’m busy.”

 

Hyun Jae stood in the middle of the Guangzhou airport, her carry on luggage in one hand, and a directory map in the other. Her cell phone was propped on her shoulder, and she tilted her head to the side to keep her cell phone in place as she talked. She was given some cursory glances from the loungers in the cafe in front of her since she seemed oddly out of place, but she could care less. She was already distracted with her brother.

 

“With what?” Hyun Jae asked frustratedly. “I told you beforehand to make time to pick me up, regardless of whatever problems you have in your life right now. You’re 25. You’re 6 years older than me. You should know better than to ditch your 19 year old sister at the airport.” 

 

“Nothing you need to know. Since I can’t come, go fetch a taxi to bring you to the small apartment I rented for you. You’re old enough to take care of yourself.” Her brother scolded her in cantonese, seemingly distracted. She always knew when he was angry. It was when he scolded people in cantonese.

 

Hyun Jae scoffed at his remark, trying to be tough about it.

 

 

That he rented for me? Probably got his friends to do it. I don’t even know why Ah Li, his girlfriend, sticks with him til the end. He’s got the attention span of a pig and a temper like no other.

 

“What did you do with all the money mama and baba gave you? They gave you enough to rent a Manhattan flat for me, you know. They’re rich.” Hyun Jae asked Ming Lee, suspicions already arousing in her mind.

 

“I...anyway, it was used for living expenses. Now stop minding other people’s business. Hang up, won’t you?” Ming Lee replied with a cold tone.

 

Hyun Jae heard her brother put his cell phone down and shout at someone. She heard him flip a table. Many cantonese curse words were used. Hyun Jae winced at the language. That someone whimpered. It was a girl. The phone grew staticy for a second and Hyun Jae stood there quietly, waiting for Ming Lee to come back.

 

“I have to go. I told you I’m busy.” Ming Lee said harshly, as Hyunjae heard some shuffling in the background.

 

Hyun Jae was about to reprimand him again, but grew soft at the sound of the girl crying. She hated it when Ming Lee threw his tempers.

 

“...知道了...I get it... Take care of your girlfriend, Ming Lee. You don’t want her to leave you.” Hyun Jae tried to tell her brother.

 

She heard a beep.

 

“Aish..he hung up.” Hyun Jae muttered, putting her cell phone away.

 

Having no other choice, and being used to this type of scenario, she located the Taxi sign fairly quickly. Heaving a big sigh, Hyun Jae grabbed her carry-on handle, and headed towards the direction the arrow was pointing her to.  She walked past all of the airport duty-free stores, the cafes, lounges, and advertisements. She looked around for the exit, but instead, she heard screaming coming her direction...and it was getting louder and louder.

 

She stood there awkwardly not knowing what to do.

 

She watched as a rampage of people flooded past her. She stayed in the same spot, dumbfounded. Security guards came almost immediately upon call, blocking the mob of people from the entrance or exit of the airport. Metal fences were set up to restrain the die hard fans. They shouted for the people to make way. A wide aisle was cleared in the middle. Hyun Jae managed to get aside one of the screamers to ask what was going on.

 

“You really don’t know?" A fangirl asked in disbelief. "I should’ve known that people outside of the fan club are missing out on these handsome guys."

 

She shook her head.

 

"EXO-M is here! The new totally awesome unforgettable handsome hot y Mandarin boy group from SM, ready to leave for Seoul again. You really don't know?!” The girl exclaimed in Cantonese, before leaving Hyunjae alone to join the swarm of fans jumping and screaming to try to get EXO-M to look over there first when they entered.

 

Hyun Jae then realized just how stupid she was.

 

 

She glanced around at the big crowd that had gathered right around her. The signs everyone were holding all read, “I LOVE YOU, EXO-M!”, “PLEASE MARRY ME, WU YI FAN!” and “WO AI NI, LU HAN!”. She looked upwards at the second floor to see another huge swarm of fans hanging their banners from the railings. "WILL YOU BE MY UNICORN?" "SARANGHAEYO, CHEN AND XIUMIN!!" and "WILL YOU DATE ME, KUNGFU PANDA?" were written on them. 

 

 

"Huh...didn't know they'd get this popular once they debuted." Hyunjae muttered to herself.

 

Lee Hyun Jae. Why are you so unlucky... She thought to herself. I should get out of here right now. If I stop, then it’ll be all over. I may be able to handle the promotions for EXO-M, but if I see him..No, scratch that. If I see them in real life, I won’t be able to keep my promise anymore. And besides, my parents won’t like it.

 

Squeezing through hundreds of fans, Hyun Jae made her way to a particular security guard, murmuring some words in his ear. Afterwards, he nodded briefly, letting her through the metal fence. It was nice to have connections once in awhile.

 

Hyun Jae made her way to the middle of the cleared space in front of the entrance.

 

The fans all quieted down in shock, seeing her in the section where EXO-M was supposed to come in from.

 

And as if things couldn’t get any better, EXO-M entered, and the fans grew loud with cheers again.

 

When they strutted in with their airport fashioned backpacks and attire, they spotted Hyun Jae who was standing there awkwardly in the middle of the walkway. They all froze, staring at her.

 

She glanced at each of the 6, starting from Tao all the way to Kris. All of them were looking at her directly, except for Kris who seemed interested in everything except for her. She let out a shaky breath.

 

I was supposed to leave earlier. Why did my feet stick to the ground? Did I really want to see him...or *them*, I meant...even though they didn’t want to see me?

 

Mustering up most of her courage, she was the first one to get moving, bumping Tao with her shoulder as she tried to run past the 6. Unfortunately, effort isn’t always rewarded. Tao glanced over at the forlorn Kris, and decided to do his hyung a favor.

 

“Time for me~” Tao teased, doing a small motion with his hands that no one noticed. “Although the Tree of Life might not be real, I’m pretty sure you know that the 12 Exo powers definitely exist. Did you see our MV yet, with the mysterious narration?” He asked Hyun Jae rhetorically. “Though I always thought that was one weird narration. Why not cut to 1:30 on Youtube instead so everyone could get it over with?”

 

After he finished speaking, everything and everyone stopped.

 

Hyun Jae cursed out loud in Cantonese. Kris cringed at the language, but didn’t speak anyway. Sometimes you had to suffer, knowing your own language. Tao was nice enough not to freeze Hyun Jae, but Hyun Jae didn’t feel grateful at all.

 

“Your Exo powers are the last thing I need right now. Gosh, since when did SM Entertainment get so advanced?” She said through her teeth, as she faced the door. Time control meant the electronic sliding doors wouldn’t budge open either, so she just stood there with no other way out, her back facing them.

 

Lu Han sighed dramatically as Tao nudged him. Seemed like his power had to get working too.

 

Using his mind, he swiftly lifted the stubborn Hyun Jae’s passport from her back pocket. With a clean cut finish, it zoomed into Lu Han’s hands. Lu Han smiled happily, brushing off the passport with content, knowing he successfully put his power to good use. He took the time to open the passport and find out where she was going. The other 4 EXO-M members crowded to look as well. Kris didn’t bother.

 

Hyun Jae turned around just in time to see 5 people smirking at her in victory.

 

 

Kris was just standing there, admiring the flower pots on his left. Apparently, at some point in time, he had found time to take out his presently most favorite stuffed animal, Ace Wu, and was staring at it somehow fatherly. Hyunjae couldn't help but glare at him.

 

“Why are you keeping me here?” She asked with a tone of annoyance as she reverted her attention back to the group.

 

“I think it should be the other way around. Why are you running away from us?”

 

This time, all 6 of them looked at her with unreadable expressions.

 

Why am I running away from them? I’m not so sure now...Am I really running away because of him? Or am I running away because I don’t want anything to do with them anymore?

 

“Is it because of our debut? You were fine with us when we were trainees.” Chen stated, looking her straight in the eye. “We were trainee buddies.”

 

“Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee stop ignoring us?” Lu Han looked at her with his natural cuteness explosion. However, there was a hint of sincerity in everything Lu Han said, whether or not he was purposely acting cute, or he did it unconsciously.

 

Hyun Jae’s mouth was sealed, not answering any of them.

 

Luhan, you should stop that...right now. You’re going to make me waver about the deal I had with Kris 4 years ago.

 

“I think we have to go the hard way.” Lay sighed, grabbing Kris’ phone to use. Kris gave Lay the look for forgetting his cell phone again. “Calling the counterparts, guys.”

 

AHHH! LAY GEGE! NOOOOOOO. STOP MAKING ME END UP ON YOUR SIDE AGAIN. AGH, EXO, THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.

 

Within the first ring, Chanyeol picked up the phone.

 

“Man, they must be bored.” Lay commented.

 

“AYOOOOO~ WHATUP KRIS?” Chanyeol shouted enthusiastically through the phone. Lay put on a look of pure awkwardness, and handed the phone to Kris who gave him a little glare before picking it up.

 

“AYO WHASSUPPPP?” Kris replied, earning laughter from Exo-K on the other line. “Yeol, can I speak to Kai a minute?”

 

“Sure, wait a sec~” Chanyeol replied, getting up from the couch in Exo-K’s dorm to hand the phone over.

 

“Yoboseyo?” Kai quickly answered.

 

“We need you guys here. She’s back.” Kris stated simply.

 

The EXO-K members broke out in chorus.

 

“She’s back, She’s back, SHE’S BACK -- OH~ She’s back (She’s back) SHE’S BACKK~”

 

“Why are you guys singing Infinite again?” Kris asked, pissed off. “Just get your butts over here please.”

 

He’s heard enough on the plane going to China for the EXO showcase.

 

“What do you mean, ‘back’? I was always here on Earth.” Hyun Jae silently muttered, dreading EXO-K's arrival.


~*~

A/N: Hello, this is Kpopchicken~! Thanks for stopping by on the first chapter of this new fanfic! Please continue to support, subscribe, rate and comment to this story and my other fanfics. I didn't edit this chapter much since I just took it from my Google documents (I wrote it last June), so please excuse any grammar issues and such >.< I love you guys!!

With much love,

Author