It's a (Not So) Wonderful Day

It's a Wonderful Day

A small sheet of paper sits heavily on Minseok’s palm. From the seemingly never ending list of words scrawled on it, Minseok believes it weighs a ton. He scowls as he trudges down the street clad in a ripped pair of jeans, a navy blue hoodie, a snapback hat, and a pair of sunglasses. He still doesn’t understand why s sent him on this errand run but he guesses that they must be planning a surprise birthday party for him.

“Idiots. This is way too obvious,” Minseok mutters. Yet, he decides to let his friends believe they deceived him.

He clearly recalls s’ behavior as he was leaving. He asked if anyone would go with him and help out, but no one stepped up; not even Luhan. When he questioned Kris and Junmyeon about that, they pulled the “we’re the leaders so just do what we tell you” card on him much to his chagrin. The managers didn’t even bother to explain or offer assistance on this incredibly tiring trip.

Sighing, Minseok lumbers down the street while looking at the first item on his list.

“Pick up dry cleaning,” he says aloud. “Are you kidding me?”

Minseok huffs in aggravation at all the clothes he’ll have to carry but remembers that Kris tossed him the keys to their van before he left. Spirits lifted a little, Minseok dashes back to the van and climbs into the driver’s seat. He hasn’t driven in a while but he’s excited to be able to.

The engine roars to life and Minseok is off, speeding down the road towards the dry cleaners. He arrives in about ten minutes and gets out; pulling the wallet Kris threw at him as he was leaving. When he enters, a stout man greets him from the counter. Minseok bows his head politely and yanks the receipt out to show the man which clothes are his. The man smiles and heads to through the room lined with clothes on hangers and comes back with an armful of clothes. Setting them on the counter, he brings up the price and Minseok pays with the credit card.

After piling the clothes in the van, it’s off to the supermarket. Minseok groans at the list of sweets and snacks s so lovingly wrote down for him to buy. He knows for a fact that Jongdae is the one asking for twenty tubs of chocolate ice cream that Minseok, for obvious reasons, opts to get two.

“This is the worst birthday ever,” Minseok whines as he skulks through the lanes with a cart full of nothing but enamel rotting goodies and treats. The only good thing to come from this is that he picks out his own snacks as well to enjoy on his own. There is no way Minseok is sharing anything he gets for himself with any of the other members, not after this.

About forty-five minutes later, Minseok is rolling through Seoul with his van packed with clothes and food. He hopes there isn’t that much left to do but is discouraged to find a number of things he must do or get that will practically take him on a tour of the entire city just to finish his errands.

A huge part of Minseok wants to turn the van around and crash his own surprise birthday party, but he chooses to salvage what he hopes will be a good time with s and saves it for later. Reasoning with himself, he ends up thinking that returning to a half prepared party would only make his day worse.

“It’s okay Minseok, just five very annoying things left to do,” he sighs.

About two hours later, Minseok only has two things left on his list of errands when he realizes he hasn’t heard from s the whole day. Not even a happy birthday text. Craving a bit of human contact, Minseok decides to call Luhan.

“Hello?” Luhan answers after the second ring.

“Luhan, what’s up?” Minseok asks tentatively.

“Oh! Minseok, hey,” Luhan responds, his voice sounding a bit too perky. “Have you finished those errands?”

“Umm, no. Almost,” says Minseok.

“Well, you better hurry. Everyone’s waiting for the food!”

Minseok’s chest aches a little at the thought that no one is waiting for him, but for what he’s bringing. He becomes slightly more irritated than before and a frown drags his lips down.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know I was your delivery boy,” Minseok spits angrily. “And don’t you have something to say to me?”

A small ray of hope shines on him as he awaits Luhan’s answer.

“Yeah, I forgot to write this down but can you buy some bubble tea for Sehun and me?”

“Oh, sure. Whatever you want,” Minseok drawls sarcastically. He ends the call without saying goodbye, biting his cheek in sheer frustration. He wants to scream at Luhan, at all s actually, and throw all their food in their faces but he manages to calm himself before he chucks his phone out the window.

“ Luhan. all of them, dammit!” Minseok growls. He breathes deeply a few times, allowing the intake of oxygen to soothe his enraged mind as his chest rises and falls evenly. Feeling just a bit calmer, Minseok goes to finish his errands.

And finally, three hours later he has a van packed with clothes and food parked in front of their dorm. Minseok starts lugging the clothes inside and he pounds on the door and buzzes the doorbell until a disgruntled Yixing opens it. He’s only wearing a white wife beater and a pair of gray sweatpants, hardly surprise party attire, and is rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“I did all the you guys wanted me to do, now help me get the stuff out of the van,” Minseok immediately demands.

“Oh, great! I can finally change into a nicer outfit,” Yixing says and grabs the clothes from Minseok before going back in and effectively slamming the door in his face.

“You ! You can’t even help me carry in the stuff?” shouts Minseok, his rage rising rapidly. Shaking his head, Minseok returns to the van and brings back several bags of groceries and opens the door himself only to be stopped by Sehun and Tao. “Ugh, finally. Can you two help me with these?”

Minseok holds the bags out to the two and expects them to take them from him.

“Damn, what took you so long hyung?” Sehun says but makes no move to relieve Minseok of his burden. Tao, on the other hand, happily hauls all of the bags into the dorm and goes straight to the kitchen to rummage through the various snacks.

“Sorry, I’m just one man,” Minseok retorts and right when he tries to go inside Sehun blocks the way with his entire body.

“Wait, where’s the bubble tea?”

“In the van still. Go get them and then lock the door for me,” Minseok grunts but Sehun doesn’t budge. “Are you ing kidding me? Will you move out of my way?”

“Where’s the bubble tea?” Sehun repeats.

Throwing his hands in the air in defeat, Minseok turns on his heels and goes back down to retrieve the bubble tea. “Damn ungrateful brat,” he mumbles as he walks.

Finally, Minseok makes sure he has everything and has locked the doors before going back to the dorm. This time, he shoves open the door and there is no one there to bar his way much to his relief. He storms through the dorm in a blind rage until he approaches Luhan and Yixing’s shared room. Flinging the door open with brute force, he reveals the sight of a shocked Junmyeon, a thoroughly amused Jongdae, and a lounging Sehun. What he doesn’t see is Luhan, the person who actually inhabits the room.

Not giving a , Minseok s both bubble teas into Sehun’s hands and yells at the top of his lungs, “Here are you ing bubble teas, you little er!”

He doesn’t wait for the three bewildered guys’ reactions and stomps out of the room. Minseok is on his way to the kitchen to get his personal snacks to eat as comfort but jerks to a complete stop when he notices a humongous box sitting in the middle of the living room. It’s so big that their coffee table was moved to leave space for it.

Cautiously glancing around, Minseok finds Tao, Kyungsoo, and Jongin chatting in the kitchen whilst munching on their food. They seem completely oblivious to the huge box in the middle of the dorm and continue to blabber.

“Guys, what is that?” Minseok asks slowly.

Jongin and Tao shrug while Kyungsoo smiles awkwardly, his lips twitching up in a sort of half smile. “It’s for you,” Kyungsoo states rather simply.

“What’s in it?” Minseok wonders aloud.

“How the am I supposed to know?” Jongin says bluntly.

“I wasn’t asking you,” Minseok snaps back. Ignoring Jongin, he warily tiptoes to the box and he’s about a foot away when whatever is inside the box thrashes around making loud thumping noises.

“Holy !” Minseok jumps back, twenty years shaved off his life, and holds a hand to his chest feeling his rapidly beating heart about to burst out of it.

Jongin and Tao bursts into an uproar, their laughs bouncing off the walls and grating on Minseok’s nerves. Flustered, he acts as if nothing happened and takes two tiny steps closer to the box.

Baekhyun, Yixing, and Chanyeol walk out of Minseok’s room and he pauses in his tracks to gape at them. “What were you guys doing in my room?”

“Oh, hyung!” Chanyeol calls out with a smile. “When did you get here?”

“We weren’t doing anything,” Yixing says, shoving Chanyeol into Baekhyun. He flashes an innocent smile at Minseok who glares suspiciously at him. He notices that Yixing is now in dress pants and a button down shirt, looking much more awake then before. He’s confused as to why Yixing is dressed so nicely but decides it’s best not to think about it.

“You know what, I don’t even care,” Minseok sighs, “Anyways, where are Luhan and Kris?”

“Don’t know,” Baekhyun answers. Minseok watches as he, Chanyeol, and Yixing bound into the kitchen and leap upon the bags of treats, eagerly picking out what to eat.

Then, Minseok looks at the bathroom door and finds it closed so he concludes that either Luhan or Kris is in there. At the moment, he really doesn’t want to check who exactly is in there and is more curious about the box that contains some sort of living organism in it which just so happens to be . Slightly worried and definitely freaked out, Minseok creeps towards the box.

“There’s a note,” Minseok mutters when he is right beside the box.

Dear Baozi,

Happy Birthday! I got you exactly what you wanted and I know you’re gonna love it! And you can show me how much you love it by giving me extra kisses tonight! ;)

Love your one and only bestest most amazing boyfriend and band member,

Luhan

“He’s such an idiot,” Minseok chuckles. He can’t stop the wide smile growing on his face and he has a pretty good prediction as to what, actually who, is in the box. Placing the simple note on the couch, Minseok yanks the giant blue bow on top of the box and pulls the tape off.

Throwing open the flaps, Minseok reveals his big surprise and screams in absolute terror at what he finds.

In less than a second, all of the EXO members are clustered around the box. Their reactions are all the same however. They laugh and chortle incessantly, clinging to one another as peals of laughter shake their bodies.

Minseok is trembling and he cautiously moves towards the box again and peers inside checking to see if his eyes were playing tricks with him. They aren’t, unfortunately.

In the box, tied up with a pair of dragon wings strapped to him and a haphazardly thrown together red and orange clump of cottons balls stuck in his mouth that Minseok assumes is supposed to be a fireball, is a furious Kris whose eyes happen to be shooting lasers through Minseok’s skull.

“K-Kris? What the happened to you?” Minseok stammers as he yanks the homemade fireball out of Kris’ mouth and helps him to his feet.

“Luhan,” is all Kris says and he says it full of contempt and utter bloody ferocious anger.

And that’s when the culprit of this giant surprise makes his entrance, his light voice hopping through the room. “Baozi! You’re finally home! And you got my present! Happy birthday!” Luhan chirps as he rushes at Minseok with his arms outstretched.

Minseok is frozen in place, the shock getting to him, and he allows Luhan to wrap his arms around him in a tight albeit one-sided embrace. Kris smacks Luhan in the back of the head as he crawls out of the box and stalks off to his room. Luhan yelps and pulls away, his lips forming a pout.

“Baozi, he hit me! Do something about it,” Luhan demands.

“W-what? Wait, no. No!” Minseok snaps and Luhan blinks in surprise. “Luhan, can you please explain to me why the you tied Kris up and put him in a box for my birthday present? When did I ever say I wanted that?”

His eyes wide and his mouth shaped into an O, Luhan stares at Minseok. “Didn’t you say you wanted a dragon for your birthday?”

“No,” Minseok responds in exasperation.

“Oh, whoops. Then why do I remember you saying that?” Luhan scrunches his face in thought but eventually gives up and shakes his head. Then, he grins and pulls Minseok to him again, pressing their cheeks together. “I’ll be your present instead.”

By now, the other EXO members had retreated and left the odd couple alone. But they return, carrying various sized presents in their hands and Kris also comes back with a warm smile on his face and a cake in his hands, his anger from before forgotten.

They sing Happy Birthday to Minseok and Minseok sighs, half with relief and half from exhaustion, resting his head against Luhan’s chest. His eyes are closed and he tries to soak in all that’s happened today while listening to s singing and feeling Luhan’s chest rumble while he hums.

“You’re all so strange,” Minseok murmurs, “Especially you, Luhan.”

“I love you too,” Luhan smirks.

Merely shaking his head, Minseok can’t help brightening up and enjoying the oddly planned “surprise” birthday party s decided to throw for him. It’s certainly different and out of the ordinary, but since he gets to spend time with people he cares about, Minseok decides that maybe this isn’t his worst birthday ever. In fact, it will be one he’ll remember for the rest of his life.

---

A/N: /sobs/ What did I just write? Sorry (not sorry) that this isn't funny OTL. Anyways, Happy Birthday Minseok! I hope he'll never read this LOL