This is the start of a new chapter.

Attention

I left the hospital before any of Taemin's other friends did.

I had work to get done- planning to do.

The next morning, I was ready for action. I was determined to make things work for Taemin once he got out of the hospital- he was no longer going to live the way he used to. No more drugs or ion, and I had the perfect idea. Jonghyun-hyung and his parents had already offered to keep Taemin at their house once he was released until the government decided the best course of action for him, so I didn't have to worry about his living arrangements.

But I was going to keep him off the streets- that's for sure.

So as soon as it was a decent hour of the morning the day after my dismal Christmas, I dressed and made my way out of the house with a goal set in my mind. My feet carried me to the cafe without any thought on my part; that's how well I knew the path by now. I knew what time they opened and what time they closed, so I knew I'd be the first one there this morning.

I arrived just as Leeteuk-hyung was changing the sign from 'closed' to 'open,' and smirked inwardly at my perfect timing.

"Morning, Kai, what brings you here all by yourself so early?" the owner greeted me amicably, stepping aside so I could enter the store.

I walking in, nodding my head in greeting, and within moments, Cat was trotting up to me, demanding attention. I grinned as I leaned down and picked up the kitten that was trying to rub itself on my legs and ankles affectionately. I snuggled him close to my chest before smiling back up at Leeteuk-hyung, who was grinning amusedly at my actions.

He looked exhausted.

Perfect.

"Hyung, I need to talk to you," I began, putting Cat back onto the polished floors where he ran back behind the counter where I knew his food was kept.

Leeteuk nodded in a concerned manner and led me wordlessly to a booth. He took off his scarf and put it down gently onto the table along with his keys to the shop. "Are you alright?" he asked finally when I hadn't continued.

I nodded. Where do I start? "I'm okay, hyung. I wanted to talk about Taemin." My polite smile faltered a bit as I remembered his entire situation. It seemed Leeteuk picked up on that, and his eyes reflected his worry. Nonetheless, he remained silent and waited for me to continue, though he leaned forward in his seat slightly.

"I suppose I'll just come right out with my request first. I was just wondering- I mean, if you needed help around here, maybe you'd considering hiring him? I thought it'd would be possible since Sora-noona is at home with your child now, so..."

"Where is this coming from all of a sudden?" Leeteuk spoke when I'd faded off into expectant silence. "Where is Taemin?"

I sighed, knowing I'd have to explain myself. "He'd be here himself to ask, but he doesn't exactly know I'm doing this. Taemin's at the hospital."

The elder's eyes widened dramatically, and I knew the words that would be coming out of his mouth next. "Why? How long? Is he going to be okay?" He was on the edge of his seat now with worry.

I nodded. "He'll be okay. Um... I'm not sure how much of his story I'd be allowed to share, but... it turns out his uncle was.. uh, well, his uncle was selling him for money." I paused, and at the shocked look I received, I knew I wouldn't have to go into more detail on that part. He understood. "He's recovering right now from a suicide attempt, and there's a case open right now for his uncle. I just thought that it would help him get back on his feet to have a real job- I don't want him to resort back to.. well, you know... So I had been thinking that I need to show him there are other ways to earning money- I never want him to feel like he has to revert back to that again. Do you get it?" I asked self-consciously, wondering if this was just a stupid idea and needing confirmation from someone else that I wasn't wasting my time here.

It was silent for a moment as Leeteuk leaned back against the back of his seat, staring off somewhere behind me. "I had no idea," he whispered, lost in thought. I watched thoughtfully, giving him time to digest all of this new information. "I- I would be more than happy to offer him a job whenever he's ready to take it, it's the least I can do," he blurted out after a while. "Is there anything else he needs? Anything at all?"

"I don't think so. He's going to be staying at Jonghyun-hyung's house for now."

He took a few deep breaths, still trying to process everything I'd just told him.

"I'm sorry for springing this on you all of a sudden, and so early in the morning," I apologized, remembering he still had a full day's work in front of him. I felt bad for distracting him from his duties, but I knew he wouldn't mind if it was for Taemin's wellbeing. The man really did care for Taemin and his friends as if he was their father.

"Don't apologize," he assured, face softening. "It's just a lot to take in right now. You're doing a good thing, Kai, I respect all the effort you're putting forth to make this easier on him. I'm sure he will appreciate it." As if to complete his thought, a certain kitten chose that moment to leap up onto the table demanding love and affection.

I grinned slightly, scratching Cat behind the ears before watching him curl up on Leeteuk-hyung's scarf. "Come here you silly kitty," the man said, smiling now, as he lifted the cat in one arm and grabbed his belongings with the other. He made his way back behind the counter and placed Cat gently on top. "I've got to get to work, there really is a lot to do here without Sora's help. Would you like something, Kai? It's on the house."

"I'm okay, really. I was just on my way to visit Taemin," I said, standing up as well.

"Ah, would you like to take him something?"

I contemplated it for a moment; it would be a kind gesture... "I'm not sure he'd be allowed to have caffeine so soon after everything, but I'm sure he wouldn't be able to refuse a hot chocolate," I said with a grin.

"Coming right up," the man replied, smiling back. I the purring Cat while waiting for Leeteuk-hyung to make the drink. When he'd finished, I watched as he took out a black sharpie and wrote something on the side of the to-go cup before slipping a sleeve on the hot cup, which was perfectly situated underneath the message he'd written. "Send him my regards," hyung spoke, holding out the hot chocolate for me. "I'll come by to visit after work today."

"Thank you so much, hyung," I gushed, being completely honest in my sincerity. "I'm so thankful that Taemin has someone like you to depend on."

"I could say the same about you, Kai," Leeteuk praised. "This is so kind of you to do, it's comforting to know he has a strong support system for him; he'll need you guys now more than ever."

I smiled shyly at his praise. "Thank you, hyung, I'll get this to him before it gets too cold," I responded, talking about the hot chocolate. "I'll be in touch, and I'll make sure to relay your support to him."

Leaving the shop, I pulled my heavy jacket closer over my body as I was hit with a blast of cold air. I held the cup I had in both of my hands, hoping the freezing weather wouldn't make it too cold for him to drink. Either way, I stepped lively to get there as soon as possible. I couldn't wait to tell him the news I had, I knew he'd at least appreciate the offer even if he didn't want to take the job.

I decided I couldn't wait the time it took to walk the several blocks to the hospital, so I hailed a taxi and was there in only 5 minutes. Thanking and paying the driver, I went in the main entrance to the building. I remembered the way to his room, even though I'd only been there once. I was still clutching the warm cup in between my two hands. I lifted it slightly to see 'Fighting! ~Teukkie-hyung' written in messy handwriting, and I grinned at the cute message.

Once I'd reached his room, I knocked slightly and waited until I heard his response allowing me entrance. I peeked my head in first and smiled when I saw his face. "Good morning," I greeted, stepping in and closing the door behind me again. Key was already here, sitting on the far edge of the bed on the opposite side from the door, and it seemed they had been in the middle of friendly conversation when I'd entered.

"Morning, Kai," Taemin replied, sounding tired. Key grimaced but nodded his greeting, obviously not comfortable with my presence but willing to put up with it for Taemin's sake. I avoided his eye contact and pulled up a chair to the side of the bed where Key wasn't. "I brought hot chocolate," I said, holding the cup out to him. He reached up a weak hand to grasp the cup, smiling gratefully. "Thank you," he said, blushing.

His bed was reclined but not lying flat, so he could sit comfortable and be able to see everyone. He brought the cup to his lips and took a cautious sip to test the temperature.

"Oh," he pulled away, a bit surprised.

"Is it too hot?" Key asked, concerned, ready to take the cup from him and cool it down himself when Taemin shoed his hands away.

"No, it's fine, umma," he said in a joking tone. "I just noticed this," he said, smiling warmly on the message Leeteuk had left near the rim. "Did you talk to hyung?" he asked me, a bit nervous.

"Yes," I replied honestly. "I had a favor to ask of him, so I had to tell him a bit of what happened. He told me to send you his support and he'll be here to visit tonight."

He gave a half-smile, taking another sip of his hot chocolate. "What did you need to ask him?" he asked with a big yawn.

"Ah, that's what I was about to say," I said, flicking the back of his hand playfully. He giggled softly before looking back up to me expectantly. "Well, Taemin, I want you to have options and opportunities when you get out of here," I began. "So I talked to Leeteuk-hyung about hiring you to work at his cafe, and he agreed. He said that whenever you were ready, he'd be more than willing to give you a job."

His eyes went a bit wide, and for a moment, it was a bit difficult to read his reaction. But given a few seconds, he spoke. "R-Really?" I nodded. He smiled widely and put his hot chocolate down on his bedside table before lurching forward to pull me into a tight hug. I had to stand to make the hug more comfortable for both of us, and I wrapped my arms around his back as well, relieved that he appreciated the news.

I saw Key looking at me with conflict in his eyes- obvious that he was trying to stay mad at me but clearly having trouble with how hard I was working to make amends. I heard sniffling in my ear, and I held Taemin tighter upon realizing that he was crying. "Why are you crying, hyung?" I asked, a bit worried.

"Th-thank you, Kai, it means so much to me that you would do this for me."

We both knew it was more than just a job. This was an alternative lifestyle for Taemin. This was my proof that I was going to support him through this change and I wasn't going to allow him to sink back into his bad habits and dark thoughts.

No more words needed to be spoken.

This is the start of a new chapter.