Chameleon Charms and Family Dynamics

The Day Will Come

 

Onew, Jonghyun, Key, and Taemin sat around the dinner table eating in silence. Once again Minho was off doing something, what that something was, none of them had any clue. Nearly a month had passed since the death of He Who Must Not Be Named and in that time, their now constant companions, the aurors, had been forced to defend them twice. Both times had been small, almost pathetic attempts to harm them, but still nerve racking. As the silence stretched on it became awkward as each waited for the other to start talking first…

 

“We have to do something,” Key stated with exasperation in his tone.

 

“…About?” asked Jonghyun maybe hoping they wouldn’t have to talk about it.

 

“Minho.” Onew jumped into the conversation, “This is the third time he’s dodged the aurors to go off somewhere, and I lost count of how many times he did it before they were even here.”

 

“Maybe we should just let him be, I mean it’s not like he’s hurting anyone.” Taemin said hopefully.

 

“I would agree but…” Jonghyun left the sentence hanging.

 

Fiddling with the of his wand, Onew finished the statement Jonghyun had begun “The night You-Know-Who died, why was he there?”

 

More silence greeted the question.

 

“Hyungs, you don’t think Minho hyung was on their side do you?” Taemin asked tentatively.

 

Shock greeted his question, apparently it hadn’t occurred to anyone else. 

 

“I mean… it’s possible isn’t it?” Said Key horror lacing his voice.

 

“No, there’s no way, this is Minho we are talking about,” Jonghyun added, however sure his words sounded, his tone was shaky, giving it away that he might not believe his own words.

 

“I don’t know, we all know his mother was…involved in the dark arts.” Onew said.

 

“But wasn’t she killed by You-Know-Who?” Asked Taemin.

 

“No, she was killed after the first war ended, by some other dark wizard. No one knows anything about the guy. I guess it could have been one of He Who Must Not Be Named’s followers.” Onew answered Taemin’s question, and the room once again elapsed into silence.

 

“We could, you know… follow him. See where he goes…” Said Jonghyun quickly, almost like he was hoping if he talked fast enough they would ignore him.

 

The four present members of SHINee glanced at each other, before as one looking to Taemin.

 

“What?” Stated Taemin on the edge of panic as he guessed what was coming.

 

“You are the best at the chameleon charm.” Said Key, trying not to laugh at the expression on Taemin’s face.

 

Thirty minutes later it had been settled, the next time Minho dodged the aurors Taemin would follow to see where he went.

 

 

 

Meanwhile, Minho was sitting calmly in a boat waving his wand back and forth in a lazy motion to propel it forward. A large island rose out of the distance, shrouded in mist. The air was cold and dank and stillness had grip on the air of the place. Craggy cliffs rose out of the water, their jagged edges seeming to cut into the sky like giant knives thrown from the depths but never reaching their target in the sky, frozen forever in a never ending ascent towards heaven. Minho still his hand stowing his wand inside his robes and letting the boat drift the rest of the way. 

 

Feeling it bump into the stone dock he stepped out, his dark robes billowing as he stalked towards the large structure in the distance. As he approached he stopped before a large set of iron wrought gates. Next to the gate was a small stone structure with a man inside. Stalking up to the window he rapped on the glass causing the man to look up.

 

Turning as he stood up the man walked over to the window asking shortly “What can I help you with”

 

“I’m here to see a prisoner.”

 

Looking at him for a moment the man seemed to be thinking, then apparently making up his mind the man nodded and pulled a short wand from his robes, waving them at the gate. Nodding shortly, Minho walked through. As he entered the large structure itself he walked towards a second interior structure holding another man. Suddenly Minho stopped, all the happiness seemed to be out of his mind as an intense cold gripped him. Looking up he saw two dementors dragging a limp form towards the innards of the prison.

 

Choi Minho had arrived at Azkaban.

 

 

 

Sicilia Omathan sighed as she sat down in her chair by the fire a cup of warm tea nestled in her hand. Such a life she had led. A gifted student at school she had often helped other students academically. Prefect and head girl. The first of her family not sorted into Ravenclaw she had been a proud member of Hufflepuff. Often the members of Hufflepuff house were considered lemons or weak when in fact many of the most powerful aurors and magicians of the past had come from that house. After Hogwarts she had spent a few years as the potions teacher. After that she had worked at the ministry of magic as a healer before resigning and becoming one of the head healers at St. Mungo’s. Doing that until her retirement three years ago, she had seen many things and thankfully had never been forced to harm anyone else despite living through both of Voldemort’s wars.

 

“Hello Sicilia.” Jumping at the unexpected noise she spilled her drink all over her blouse, ignoring the burning pain of the scalding hot tea she spun around, her hand speeding towards her wand. As she came to a stop her wand exploded sending a wave of fire at the large man standing in her home. Sweeping his hand in a lazy gesture the man looked at her waiting to see if she was going to attack him again.

 

“What do you want Taren?” She growled her wand held in a comfortable grip ready to strike if necessary.

 

“The boy who was here, what did he want?” Taren’s voice was raspy; years of little use had rendered it a shadow of what it had been last time they had talked. Like she had told Minho, he rarely spoke and as such it seemed his vocal chords had taken a hit. 

 

“Am I not allowed to have friends now?” She asked politely sarcasm dripping through her tone.

 

“I am not in the mood for games, you will tell me what I wish to know.” 

 

Sicilia didn’t see him draw his wand and realized too late it must have been in a holster up his sleeve. 

 

“Legilimens!” Taren said clearly before she could hope to resist. Closing her mind Sicilia concentrated on stopping him from reaching anything about Minho. Her eyes snapped open as she pushed Taren out of her mind. Making a slashing movement with her wand the pressure on her mind disappeared as Taren was thrown off of his feet smashing through the front door into the yard beyond. 

 

Stepping onto the porch she made the same movement with her wand as before, this time however he was ready redirecting the curse to the side and flinging a long string of green flame in her direction. Turning on the spot she apparated to her brother’s flank twirling her wand in a circle and sending several long thick ropes towards him. Flicking his wand the ropes turned into a small flock of birds that promptly flew away, leaving the two combatants be. 

 

Now retreating, Sicilia had a look of grim determination on her face, all of her concentration focused on deflecting the string of spells flying towards her. She wondered why he wasn’t attacking as she had learned he usually did, by transforming the environment and using it to his advantage. Besides the occasional fire spell he was doing nothing more than pushing her…backwards. Too late, she realized her mistake, glancing quickly behind her she realized it was all over.

 

In the brief moment taken to glance back, Taren sized the distraction and cast a spell which hit her squarely in the chest sending her flying backwards. Landing hard on her back she did the only thing she could think of, pointing her wand squarely at Omathan she yelled out,

 

“AVADA KEDAVRA!” 

 

She hadn’t expected it to reach him and was proved correct as he spun, apparating away. Knowing she had only moments before he returned she had two choices. Stand and keep fighting, or protect Minho. Choosing the latter, she placed the tip of her wand at her temple, drawing out every memory of Minho she had, then tossed the memories into the pond. Standing, just as Taren reappeared. 

 

Sicilia Omathan never had time to raise her wand, never had time to defend herself. She didn’t even really have time to panic as the water rose up and closed around her, defying the laws of gravity. As the water fully encased her Taren muttered a word causing it to freeze.

 

Walking up to the now frozen Sicilia, he looked into her still open eyes, breaking down the barriers around her mind within moments now that she wasn’t actively trying to stop him. The King of Sphinxes frowned as he found her mind blank of the memories he was looking for. A rage gripped him as he realized she must have disposed of them to protect the little bastard. Taren sharply waved his wand against the icy statue causing it to shatter. Only the dark red chips gave a single clue that a human had once occupied the area. 

 

Standing for a moment, Taren had to give the woman credit, she was indeed a powerful witch and was skilled enough to prevent him from learning what he had wished. Glowering he twisted on his heel. 

 

“There are other ways of finding men,” He thought to himself as he apparated away from the scene of his latest crime…

EDITED :D