Once more into the breach dear friends...

The Day Will Come

 

The dean seemed more attentive today. As Minho sat next to him he pulled out an old file. “I had to go to the archives for this, We’re only about a tenth of the way through moving all of the old paper and pen files to computers.” 

Minho nodded as the man slid the file towards the center of them. “Now this file says he started school when he was ten and that was 1923 which makes him just shy of a hundred. It’s all quite boring really. Excellent student, Excellent grades, and Excellent exit career opportunities. Although it appears there is no record of him using any of our services to find employment”

“Hmm” Minho stated inconclusively “Any record of his family?” 

The Dean shuffled through the pages “Hmm, Yes here it is. It seems the address was in Great Britain, But his residence was here at the school.” 

Frustrated Minho slid back into his seat. “Any indication of where he would be now?” 

The Dean looked at him for a moment before replying “Not in the file, Although a wizard of his apparent talents would presumably be easily found. If i were you i would start at the address in England and work from there.”

Minho nodded “Thank you for your help” 

“It may not have been what you hoped for, But for what it’s worth, Whatever the reason for your search i hope you find what you’re looking for.

Minho detected a small lilt to the mans speech as he said the last, Bowing Minho turned and walked towards the elevator that would take him downstairs. Once he reached the bottom he walked towards the main gate and the edge of the dissaparation zone. After a brisk walk he reached his destination. Stepping over the threshold he turned and took one last look at Willast. Right then he decided if he ever had children they would attend this school. With one last longing look he his heel and apparated back into his hotel room in New York City.

Sighing he collapsed onto his bed wondering what to do next. As his gaze traveled around the room it landed on his bag. Suddenly remembering the memories retrieved from the ghost pensive Minho sprang out of bed and towards his bag. Removing the small wooden bow he opened the lid and pulled out the third vial. 

Drawing his wand he pointed it at the small desk of the room and conjured up a small bowl. Pouring the memory from it’s vial into the bowl he leaned closer and then dipped his nose into the surface. As he landed on his feet he recognized where he was. The headmistress’ office at Hogwarts. Or rather...The headmaster’s office he corrected himself as he found himself staring face to face with a younger version of Albus Dumbledore.

Knowing that Omathan must be nearby Minho instinctively turned towards the door. His instinct was rewarded with the now almost familiar younger version of Omathan entering  the room. 

Dumbledore turned as Omathan entered and stepped forward offering his hand. Omathan shook it and looked around the room “Congratulations on your promotion” 

“Thank you” Dumbledore replied “Evidently things like this happen when you defeat a dark wizard of some power” The comment was laced with a knowing that Minho remembered from his few interactions with Dumbledore. 

Omathan laughed lightly “Differences in view of what’s dark and what’s not often make men act with haste. I believe however that in your defeat of Grindlewald you have done the world a service it will not soon forget.”

“Of course” 

The two men sat in an affable silence for a moment

“Will i have to defeat you as well?” The question was asked quietly and calmly, as if Dumbledore had asked Omathan about the weather. 

“That’s why i am here.” Omathan stated simply “I am discovering things, Understanding things that i never could’ve imagined when i was a boy.” The passion in Omathan’s voice startled Minho who had always viewed Omathan as a somewhat cold person. 

“And the more i learn the more i realize that  no magic is inherently evil or dark, but it is the purpose behind it that makes it so.”

Dumbledore nodded as if saying “Go on”

“The more i learn the less i know, Yet the closer i get to my goal. A goal of which i feel destined for but have not a clue what it could be. Each time i discover a clue leading to this thing i am chasing i spiral deeper into the minds of men lived long past. Men i know not the names of or know in any way except by the wisdom they have left behind. I feel as if the knowledge i possess is vital to something in the future.” 

He tapered off “Do you understand Albus?”

Dumbledore sat quietly for a moment “Tell me more about these clues, You have my attention” 

Omathan sighed and leaned back “It all started at Willast. I discovered a spell that made my eyes able to see the minuscule, i was trying to create food. And disprove that particular law of wizardry. I thought if i could see the individual elements i would be able to manipulate them into the shape i desired. However what i saw was symbols. All over the oldest part of the school.” 

“I had no idea what they were, But i copied them down and endeavored to find out their meaning. Once i had the first puzzle had fallen into place. The individual symbols were made up of interlocking letters from a foreign language. Once i separated the parts from the whole i had what amounted to a few pages of text.”

Dumbledore nodded once more

“The pages spoke of an ancient maze, beyond which all understanding lay. It also contained clues to the next set of symbols. For 30 years i have searched for them and piece by piece i have put this puzzle together. While the magic i use may be dark in your eyes, I am harming no one. It is simply a preference. And i am not trying to take over the world or begin a new regime. I simply seek understanding. And if that is evil, or dark, then draw your wand and attempt to strike me down. But if you understand tell me so, And we will leave it at that.”

Dumbledore sat in silence for a moment before nodding “I understand. I do not, however, think you will find what you seek at the end of this puzzle. I will leave you alone Taren, But the moment you hurt someone in this quest for understanding, The moment the ends start to justify the means. I will hunt you down and i will kill you” Dumbledores eyes took on a hard tone at the last.

Rising Omathan stuck out his hand again. This time Dumbledore shook it firmly before letting go. 

“Now if you will excuse me i have a student to talk to” 

Omathan glanced around seemingly surprised to find a handsome dark haired young man standing behind him. 

“Tom, This is Taren. Taren, Tom Riddle” 

Once again Omathan’s hand shot out grasping the younger’s firmly. “Pleasure” 

Stepping to the door Omathan stepped through and suddenly Minho found himself back in his hotel room...