Vera

The Day Will Come

 

When Minho woke up the next morning he glanced out his window at the view which could be seen through it. Sliding from under his covers he felt the chill of the morning on his upper torso. Stepping to the window he took in the vista, Greek styled learning centers which seemed to have replaced classrooms and green areas which marked parks. Flashes could be seen from what were presumably dueling arenas. Minho remembered one of the SHINee members mentioning that dueling in america was a sport. 

Stepping over to the chair next to his bed he grabbed up his shirt and slipped into his robes. Buckling his belt around the outside of the robes and straightening them he shoved his wand in his belt and glanced at the clock. He had almost four hours left until his meeting with the dean was scheduled. 

Stepping to the door and exiting his room he walked down a short hallway and out the door into a bright sun-lit court yard. Re-orienting himself he started to walk towards one of the dueling arenas. Stopping every once in awhile and observing the classes in progress he listened for a few moments and gave the class it’s proper name. One was transfiguration the other charms. Still more were history of magic and theory of magic. 

As he walked Minho worked over everything in his mind turning it again and again. He imagined Taren Omathan walking down these same walkways, observing the same classes. Minho stopped as he reached a large arena. Sparks and flashes were in the air as spells collided with one another. Stepping up to who he assumed was the instructor. Minho stood next to him folding his hands into the sleeves of his robes. 

Just as Minho was about to speak a sharp cry rang out as one of the two boys dueling was thrown backwards.

“HOLD!” the instructor bellowed

Minho glanced at the victor and realized he had been mistaken, It was a girl not a boy. With her hair shorn short and her ambiguous clothing he could understand why he had made such a mistake. 

Taking his gaze away from the young woman he realized everyone was glancing at him including the instructor. Minho glanced his way his gaze asking a silent question. 

“It is customary for visiting wizards to duel” he stated “As we realize it is a predominantly American sport, It is a way of sharing a small bit of American wizarding culture. This young woman remains undefeated in the ring this year, Perhaps you would like to test your skills against what seems to be America’s best?”

The instructors words made Minho realize something else about the young woman, She exuded an air of arrogance which was annoying. The instructor seemed to think so as well. 

“It would be an honor.” Minho bowed to the instructor 

Turning towards his new opponent he bowed once more “I am Minho”  The statement was made simply and without flourish. 

“Vera” The young woman replied.

Minho stepped to the far side of the ring and shifted his feet. Reaching up to the clasp at his throat he undid his cloak and tossed it to the side. Drawing his wand he dropped into another bow while Vera did the same on the other side.

Like a cat leaping from it’s perch Vera’s wand lashed out sending a spell his way. Flicking his wand he deflected it and tossed a spell back at her. Pulling his punch a bit he slowed his hand down so she had time to get set. As the spell flew from his wand hers intercepted it and with a circling motion sent it back his way. Taking a step forward he brought his wand hand across his front in a sweeping motion neutralizing the spell. 

For a moment Vera looked confused, as if searching for the answer to a question. Then with a small movement she caused the sand under his feet to swipe up into his eyes. Blinded Minho staggered backwards while pushing his wand forward with a generic shield charm. to keep any spells directed his way from reaching him.

Regaining some semblance of sight Minho saw his opponent as a blur on the other side. As she raised her wand Minho flourished his with as much speed as possible. The spell sent a red jet of light directly into the young woman’s chest. 

“HOLD!” 

The instructors voice bellowed out with a force which implied he was used to being obeyed. Minho flicked his wand at his eyes and was relived when they cleared and the stinging feeling disappeared.

As his sight returned he saw the young woman standing and staring at him with a glare. Minho smiled slightly and bowed shallowly. 

“It has been an Honor to duel you Vera” He pronounced her name with a slight note of disdain.

Stepping up next to the instructor he watched as Vera disappeared towards her next class and a new class started funneling into the arena. 

“I am sorry Sir. I did not think Vera would stoop so low as to pull a stunt like that while dueling a visiting wizard” 

Minho glanced over at the instructor and looked at him directly “It is easy to be the biggest and baddest on the playground, But those of us who survive life, by the by, learn that there is always someone bigger and badder. It was time she learned that lesson” 

The smile on the instructors face was one which could have reignited a dying sun. Bowing once more to the instructor Minho started making his way towards the central towers and the deans office collecting his cloak and re-clasping it as he started out. 

From behind him he heard a voice “What was that spell?” 

Minho stopped and turned unsurprised to find Vera standing behind him. “What spell, I cast several” 

Vera grimaced as if asking the question was painful “The last one, the one you won the round with.”

Minho smiled “Originally it was used in the early medieval ages for torture, It applies a slow pressure to the affected persons lungs forcing the air out bit by bit. I created a version of it which forces all of the air out of the affected’s lungs in one hit. It’s not lethal but it’ll stop someone if you need to”

For a moment the girl looked puzzled. Then she dropped into a clumsy bow “Thank you Mentor” 

Minho did nothing but look puzzled as she walked away...