3 Days Left.

You Never Know Until You Try!

 

YOUR POV

 

Four days left until the “Hurricane”.

Three days left until I’m supposed to go to Sho’s house to stay.

Three days left until I leave everything behind.

 

Life .

 

I was thinking about this as I brushed my teeth, my mouth filled with the minty, blue foam. Rinsing my mouth, I raised my head and stared at my reflection. My eyes stared into the deep brown eyes of the girl in front of me, taking note of her glossy black hair and clear complexion. It was her mournful eyes that kept my attention. The eyes that held a secret, the eyes that told a story, the eyes that saw everything and saw nothing.

 

Looking at her reminded me of my past. My horrible childhood with wealthy parents who never truly loved me, with elite parents who raised me in hopes of marrying me off to another prominent family in society, and with harsh parents who punished every mistake that I made, wanting me to be the exact definition of perfection.

 

The girl in front of me moved as I moved, her hand slowly traveling through the distance between us to touch the shiny, reflective surface that separated our worlds. The artificial light in the room caught on my ring, the one Odagiri gave me yesterday- the light that swirled freely through time, dancing and twirling as it wished without restrictions.

 

We met eyes again.

 

Then, turning away, I flicked off the lights and continued on with my day.

 

Odagiri was waiting for me by the door with a gentle smile, his dark hair falling perfectly into place. Together we walked to school, through the gray streets, past the green trees, away from my white home, our hands tightly entwined together as they swung through the crisp morning air.

 

Teachers and students greeted us as we passed them in the halls. Our classmates gave us a rowdy “Good Morning!” as we entered into the stuffy, crowded, noisy classroom.

 

Odagiri was forced by Yankumi to stay after for tutoring due to his excessive absences and I went home alone. Right as my street came into view, I received a phone call from Kyou-san, the police officer/detective.

 

I walked into the now familiar building. The secretary recognized me and ushered me into Kyou-san’s room. As I entered, Kyou-san and another young man rose from their seats to greet me politely.

 

“_______-san, this is Lee Hyunwoo. He’ll be your partner for this assignment,” Kyou-san gestured toward the handsome young man who held out his hand respectfully toward me.

 

“Nice to meet you,” I shook his hand and noticed his firm grip.

 

“Nice to meet you too,” he replied.

 

“Hyunwoo is from Korea, as you’ve probably guessed,” Kyou-san continued, “and he’s worked with us for a long time. He’s half Korean and half Japanese and he’s someone you can trust. For him, this case is personal. Usually we never allow detectives and police officers to work on personal cases, but since it’s Hyunwoo, we’ve made an exception this time.”

 

I nodded my head, “I see.”

 

“You’re not going to ask more?” Kyou-san was surprised.

 

“It’s up to him to tell me if he wants to. Anyways, in three days, where are we going to start?”

 

Hyunwoo took over from there and outlined our plans precisely while Kyou-san looked on in approval. “In three days you’ll be leaving behind everything,” he paused and glanced at me, “and you’ll meet me here. From there, we’ll attack the Kyosodan Group’s sub quarters directly and capture who we can. We have the list with the names of all of their members, so if some get away, we can still track them down. This first step will probably take anywhere from a few days to possibly a year. After that, we’ll start moving in on the main quarters and take out their men slowly, starting from the lower ranks. I’ve done some research and found out that the Kyosodan Group has also been dealing drugs and they’re operating a e business, as well.” He pulled out several files and handed them to me. “We’re convicting them for their previous crimes, these new-found crimes, as well as for the kidnapping of Sato Yuki.” His jaw clenched at the mention of the last crime.

 

“How’d you know about Yuki’s kidnapping?” I had only found out about who kidnapped her recently.

 

 His serious eyes met mine and flickered away. “She’s my cousin.”

 

I stared at him. “Come again?”

 

“She’s my cousin,” he sighed. “That’s why this case is personal to me. Yuki is important to me.”

 

“Then do you hate me?” I asked quietly. “Do you know why and how she got kidnapped, right?”

 

He turned away and faced the window. The light filtered through the blinds and outlined his figure, his somber, quiet figure. “She was kidnapped because she was your best friend. No, I don’t hate you. Actually, I’ve always wanted to meet you- Yuki always talked about you. I’m thankful to you. When Yuki first moved back to Japan, she was going through really tough family problems. Her life was dark. But then she met you and you helped her through it. I just never would’ve thought that I’d meet you like this,” he smiled ruefully. “You do realize what you’re about to do though, right? You’re leaving everything behind- your family, your friends, and your boyfriend.”

 

“…Yeah,” I blew out a breath of stressed air. “Yeah I know. But if I don’t do this, they’ll go after those people. They took Yuki away from me already.”

 

“Okay. Just making sure. And don’t worry, I don’t and won’t think of you in a romantic way. After this case is closed, you’ll return back to your boyfriend. However, being the type of case that we’re about to approach, we’re definitely going to become close. I just wanted to make sure to draw the line as friends, or perhaps even better, siblings.”

 

I nodded. “Good idea, bro.

 

He cracked a grin. “Well then, I suppose I will see you in three days then. For now, the rest of us who are in on this case will keep a close eye on you and those around you just in case Kyosodan Group decides to make an early move. By the way, I tapped into Harumi’s phone earlier and caught her making plans with the Kyosodan Group. We’ve informed your family of her betrayal and they’re well prepared for anything that can and will happen. They don’t know that we’re working together- it’s up to you to let them know if you wish to do so.”

 

“I see. Thank you. I’ll see you in three days then.”

 

He took the files from my hand, added some more papers to the stack, and placed them neatly into a folder before giving them back to me. “Good luck.”

 

I walked home.

 

Being that school ended later in the afternoon, the bright blue sky had already aged and turned into a murky dark color. As I traced the path for home, I grew aware of a shadow stealthily following me.

 

Idiots. If you’re going to stalk me, at least do it discreetly.

 

I called up Kyou-san and asked for Hyunwoo’s number.  

 

What’s up?”

 

“Someone’s following me home. I currently changed paths and I’m heading for the supermarket.”

 

I’ll meet you there. Stay away from dark places and stay where there are a lot of people, okay?”

 

“Gotcha.”

 

I arrived at the location within a few minutes and noticed that my stalker was still hovering some distance behind me. The person seemed about five foot eleven with a lean build. From his or her rough movements, the person was most likely a male. Either that or the person’s an extremely tall, tomboyish female.

 

Hyunwoo came into my field of vision and I raised a hand to wave.

 

My stalker came closer and casually window-shopped while waiting for me to move. I flicked my eyes in the person’s direction and Hyunwoo nodded. We began browsing through the stores, pretending like we didn’t have a care in the world, and sat at a table in a random restaurant. The follower chose to rest at the restaurant next to us.

 

“You definitely have someone following you,” Hyunwoo murmured into my ear. “It appears that he is rather harmless and was most likely sent to gather information on you. I’ll send you home tonight.”

 

We rose from the light pink tables, pushed the brown chairs in, and headed home. Odagiri was waiting anxiously for me when I returned and pulled me into a hug the moment he saw me.

 

“Odagiri, this is Lee Hyunwoo, Yuki’s cousin. Hyunoo, this is my boyfriend Odagiri Ryu.”

 

They chatted briefly and Hyunwoo left.

 

Odagiri and I spent the night cuddling while watching a drama. After Odagiri fell asleep, I began writing my letter to Grandfather and Sho. My pen paused after the first line and dropped to the table while I stared at the sheet of paper without really seeing it.

 

Perhaps I’d better tell them the truth.

 

“Moshi, moshi?” My grandfather answered the phone.

 

“Are you and Sho free right now? I need to tell you something important,” I whispered into the receiver, my voice low and rushed.

 

“Of course we are. We’ll be at your house soon.”

 

True to his word, a soft knock came at my door.

 

I sat them down and began telling them my plan.

 

Sho adamantly refused to allow me to do such a thing while Grandfather was silent.

 

“She’s made up her mind,” was all he said.

 

Sho’s eyes widened with disbelief. “Surely you’re not going to let her do this, right Ojiisan?”

 

“I doubt anything we say will change her path.”

 

Sho whirled around on me. “Why are you doing this? Do you know how dangerous this is?”

 

I rubbed my forehead. “I know, I know. But you know, as well as I do, that this is something that I must do.”

 

“We’ll help you,” Sho said with a determined look.

 

“No. You will continue living your life. I know Yuki’s important to you, but this is something I will do with my partner and our team. The best way for you and Grandfather to help me is to support my decision and to not tell anyone about it.” I looked him in the eye. “Okay, Sho?”

 

“No. I refuse.”

 

We stared each other down, our eyes narrow with stubbornness.

 

“Sho,” Grandfather broke into our argument, “she’s right.”

 

“Ojiisan!”

 

“She’s right,” he let out a deep breath. “________, I’m glad you decided to confide in us. We’ll be here if you ever need us, so don’t hesitate to call on us. Just… let us know how you’re faring once in a while, okay?”

 

“I promise, Ojiisan.”

 

Sho drew me into a hug and squeezed the life out of me before setting me back on the ground. “I love you, Cuz.”

 

“Love ya too,” I grinned, blinking back tears. At least with them, I’m not saying goodbye.

 

“I’m proud of you,” Grandfather patted my head before they departed. His words rang a bell inside of me, a bell of happiness, as they echoed through my mind.

 

“Oh gosh,” I looked at the blank sheet of paper in front of me. “Kikwang…” Tears welled up. “Kuma…”

 

I decided to visit them after school tomorrow. I wanted to see them.

 

Kikwang’s letter began like the four dorks’ letter, a brief explanation.

 

I know I just disappeared on you. Please forgive me.

 

Don’t worry, don’t cry, I’ll be back before you know it.

 

I just… wanted to thank you for all the times you’ve wiped my tears away and for being there for me.

 

You’re the bestest best friend ever, after Yuki that is.

 

And yes, I said bestest. And yes, I know that’s not a word.

 

Tell your Korean friends I said hi, okay?

And that I’m sorry I didn’t get to visit them.

 

And hey, don’t you DARE start crying.

Gosh, you and Take, man…

 

Promise me you’ll smile when you think of me. It’s not like I’m dying.

I’ll come back live in a few years.

 

Get yourself a good girlfriend and stop working at clubs, okay?

You’re too handsome and incredible to be selling yourself that way.

 

If you want a better, more respectful job, contact my grandfather. He can help you out.

 

Oh gosh. I can’t write your letter without crying.

 

I’m going to miss you.

 

You mean a lot to me, bro.

 

Take care.