5 Days Left.

You Never Know Until You Try!

 

YOUR POV

 

I no longer looked forward to waking up, knowing that each morning when I opened my eyes and yawned, I was a day closer to being separated from those I love.

 

I made breakfast for Odagiri.

 

Every ingredient was handled with great care- I wanted this to be perfect. I peeled the white skin of the onion of gently, not wanting the inside layers to be scratched. I chopped the bright orange carrots with caution; every piece was diced to perfection. Making this breakfast took me longer than usual, and by the time I was done, I was tired.

 

Tired of this wall of pretense that I had built up, tired of this feeling of dread, tired of this gnawing fear that rose up inside of me every other minute- I was tired of it all.

 

When Odagiri stumbled into the kitchen rubbing his eyes, I watched him, memorizing every movement he made, every feature of his face. My heart began aching. Can I really last these next five days?

 

“Good morning,” I whispered. My voice barely carried across the distance between us, across the five feet of air and cream tiled flooring, across the bridge that I was slowly destroying.

 

“Good morning!” He replied cheerfully, not knowing what was in store.

 

Would life be easier if I gave him a reason to hate me and forget about me?

No, I wouldn’t be able to live after that.

 

“Breakfast smells delicious.”

 

As he began eating, I headed to the bathroom to steady my frazzled nerves and to prepare for the day. He joined me in the small space as he brushed his teeth, humming a happy tune through the mound of white toothpaste.

 

We went to school.

 

For some reason, the environment around me seemed much duller than usual. The bright green trees were dark. The cloudless sky was heavy. The sun beat down on my shoulders. The buildings loomed over me. I felt like a small ant crawling around in a place where I didn’t belong.

 

“______!” Takeda hopped off a random desk and squeezed me tightly in his usual hug. I messed his hair up with a small smile.

Hyuuga jumped toward me with tiny hops and beamed, holding two fingers out in a peace sign, “Ohayou!”

Tsucchiya, the suave man, tilted his head up in greeting.

Yabuki lifted his head off his desk, his sleepy eyes squinting against the sun. “Yo.”

 

Yankumi, the clumsy Yankumi, staggered into the room and tripped flat on her face. Brushing her clothes off, she turned to face us with a sheepish smile. “Good morning everyone!”

 

And class started like normal.

 

I answered the questions she asked us, much to the surprise of everyone and to the joy of our clueless teacher. I hung out with Odagiri and the gang during lunch in our normal spot, eating our normal lunch.

 

After school, Odagiri and the guys went to go hang out after I insisted upon them doing so, and while they were gone, I went to the police station to check up on the progress.

 

They confirmed that we were still on track for what we had planned. The head police officer, Mr. Kyou, gave me a sad look and asked if this was what I really wanted.

 

“I’m sure,” I replied faintly.

 

He gave me a long look before nodding and turning away.

 

I left and found myself loping along the road to Grandfather and Sho. They welcomed me with pleased arms. I glanced into the room where they were keeping Kazuki and saw that the man had given up on attempting to escape. Harumi was wandering around the house when I happened upon her. She smiled and waved before ducking and disappearing from sight.

 

Her strange behavior didn’t escape my attention. Her hesitance to look me in the eye was noted, and I knew something was up, just as I had suspected.

 

Before leaving, I informed Grandfather and Sho about what Harumi’s suspicious behavior. I gave them both tight hugs before stepping out the door. “I love you guys!”

 

Ren entered the house just as I was leaving, and I hugged him too. He was startled and surprised at first, but he returned the hug nonetheless. “Always be happy, Ren!”

He gave me a confused look before I bounded away.

 

I guess, in a way, I was saying my goodbyes.

 

The afternoon sun faded into evening as I finally made toward my house. About halfway there, I literally ran into Katakura Hiro.

 

“Long time no see,” I smiled ruefully, recalling our last meeting when he flirted with me outrageously.

 

“School’s been a pain in the ,” he rolled his eyes. “How’ve you been?”

 

“Same old, same old,” I lied. “You still go to Kuma’s place often?”

 

“Kuma? Oh, you mean that restaurant. Yeah, I love their food. Honestly though, I usually go there hoping that I’d run into you.”

 

“Sorry to break your heart, but I’m taken and you know that.”

 

He grinned. “I know,” he said with a light shrug of his shoulders, “but that won’t stop me.”

 

Sighing, I shook my head, “You…”

 

“Just kidding. I know you’re dedicated to him. It’s fun talking to you though- you’re unlike most girls out there.”

 

“Yeah, I get that a lot.”

 

He fell in beside me as I walked toward home, our conversation light and chipper. I didn’t tell him that I was about to disappear; he didn’t need to worry about that. We parted ways and I said my goodbye, though he didn’t recognize the true meaning behind my “Take care of yourself and your little brother, okay?” I probably wasn’t going to see him again for a couple of years, if I can even see him then.

 

I reached my empty house and stood before the white doors silently, my eyes traveling over the smallest cracks in the wall that I’ve never noticed before. Stepping through the door, I went to my room and opened some drawers.

 

I drew out my picture albums.

 

Selecting the photos that contained deep meaning to me, I placed them in a bag. I was going to take them with me.

 

From under my bed I took out my backpack and dropped my pictures into it, along with some clothes, money, and nonperishable food. The police said that they’d take care of my needs for me, seeing how I was giving up so much of my life to help them capture these extremely wanted criminals.

 

I wasn’t going to take all of my stuff with me. The things I left behind were to remain in my house; in a way, I guess I was hoping that by leaving some things the way they were, Odagiri would know that I wasn’t planning on leaving for eternity and that one day I’ll definitely be back.

 

I sighed and leaned against the wall, closing my eyes. Technically… I only had three days left, not counting today because four days from now, the day of the hurricane, I’m going to be gone.

 

After I carefully hid my backpack again, I wandered into Odagiri’s room and fell asleep on his bed.

 

 

Odagiri woke me up some time later when the sunlight was dimming, casting a shadow in the room.

 

“How was hanging out with the boys,” I mumbled as my mind slowly cleared.

 

“Fun. I’m glad you insisted on us hanging out. What’d you do while I was gone?”

 

“I visited my Grandfather and Sho, ran into Ren and Hiro, and came home.”

 

My nose twitched as an unique smell wafted into the room. Odagiri noticed my sniffing and he smirked proudly. “I cooked dinner. You hungry?”

 

You cooked? I thought you said you at cooking?” I was skeptical of his skills. “I’m not going to get food poisoning or anything, right?”

 

“Baka.”

 

Dinner was surprisingly amazing, and it turns out that Odagiri had begged Kuma for cooking lessons without me knowing. I was touched by his efforts.

 

I got up from my seat and kissed him on the lips. He was surprised, but soon kissed me back.

 

“See, I told you that you’re also a skin-ship monster,” he accused, a playful smile lingering on his lips. His eyes lit up as if remembering something, and he reached into the jackets of his pocket and pulled out a bag. “I know we’re not engaged or anything, and we’re still kinda young, but I bought us rings.”

 

He pulled out two gorgeous matching silver rings from the bag and I gasped, tears instantly reaching my eyes.

 

Swallowing hard, my hands shook as I took the smaller ring from his hands. “It’s beautiful,” I whispered. I turned the ring around in my palm and read the engraving on the inner part of the ring. Our love stretches through distance, space, and time.

 

“I hope you like it,” Odagiri fidgeted nervously. “If not, I can take it back.”

 

“I love it.” My hand reached up and wiped away a tear that trickled down. Soon I was bawling my eyes out.

 

“Why are you crying so much?” Odagiri was alarmed. “Hey, hey, don’t cry! I’m sorry! I don’t know what I did, but sorry! Ah, don’t cry!” He hovered around me anxiously, his arms flapping ridiculously in the air. Finally he pulled me into a hug and tucked my head into his chest. “I’m right here. It’s okay.”

 

“I love you,” I mumbled into his chest. “I love you so much.”

 

“I love you too,” came his reply, slightly muffled as he bent down to kiss my hair.

 

Later that night when Odagiri was showering, after a couple more tears and a couple more kisses and a lot of hugs, I took the opportunity to write Yankumi’s letter. I included the explanation of what happened, going a lot more into depth than the explanation in the letter to the four boys since Yankumi was from the same background as I was and therefore could understand more. And then came the personal part that I was hesitant to write in every letter… The last part that I’d write… because every word, every of the pen broke my heart into smaller and smaller pieces.

 

You’re the best teacher ever.

You’ve taught me so much about life.

Thank you.

 

As you now know, I’m gone.

 

I’m working with the police to track down all the remaining members of the Kyosodan Group, hunting them down before they hunt down the people important to me. I’m their target; they’re my target.

 

You’re an amazing person that I look up to daily. You’re clumsy, you’re understanding, you’re trusting. You’re always there for us, no matter what, and you believe in us. You’re our Yankumi, Kurogin Class 3D’s Yankumi.

 

Included in this envelope is a letter to Ren; can you please give that to him for me?

 

I’ll be back one day after I put these bastards behind bars and after I rescue Yuki.

 

Until then, stay the way you are. We love you because you’re you. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay cheerful and clumsy.

 

Yankumi, I’m going to miss you.

 

And until we meet again,

 

_________, your student forever.