Yankumi's truth revealed

You Never Know Until You Try!

 

*ODAGIRI’s POV*

 

Strolling though town, I passed by that restaurant that ________ really likes. Backing up, I walked through the doors and saw Kuma serving a table.

“Oi, Odagiri!” He greeted me as he rushed to the kitchen. “Have a seat, I’ll be right with you!”

A moment later he appeared with the customer’s meal and set it down gently in front of her.

“What’s up?” He asked me, grinning.

“Nothing much. I was in this part of town and decided to drop by.” I glanced at the menu. “Any recommendations?”

His brown eyes scrolled through the list of foods, pausing here and there. “Go with Number 35. It’s one of _________’s favorites.”

I handed him the menu and he disappeared again.

“Freshly cooked,” he announced, placing my food down. Seeing that there were no new customers, he sat down across the table from me.

I took a bite. “This is delicious!” I marveled at how the food seemed to melt in my mouth.

He laughed. “Of course it is!”

“Mmmphthh, so how long have you known ________?” I asked around bites of food.

He tilted his head, pondering, trying to remember. “It’s been a long time… I’d say maybe five years or so?”

“Aah. That’s quite a long time,” I swallowed a bite and instantly shoved another spoonful into my mouth, chewing. “What happened between her and Harumi?”

Kuma’s bear eyes opened wide. “H-how’d you-?”

“I overheard her and Sho talking. And sadly, I dated Harumi in middle school.”

“Well, at Harumi’s middle school she was the princess, right?”

I nodded. Kuma sighed.

“At ________’s middle school, she was the queen.”

“Queen?”

He bobbed his head up and down. “She was the most popular girl there- and it wasn’t just because of her looks. True, she’s got an extremely attractive outward appearance, but it was her inner beauty that shined through and captivated everyone. All the guys had secret crushes on her that they put aside in order to befriends with her and all the girls forgot about their jealousy and swarmed around her, asking her for advice and friendship.”

Kuma smiled, reminiscing. “Shin and I were at that middle school. She was a First Year and we were Third Years. Everyone knew who she was, even the haughty Second Years. Not only was she very gifted on the intellectual side, the beauty side, the kind and caring side, she was also the best fighter at our school,” his stomach rumbled with laughter. “She saved us quite a few times.”

“Then Shin and I got into high school. We’d stop by the middle school once in a while to see how she was doing and we were relieved to hear that she was fairing pretty well. Time flew by and she attended a different high school than us. That’s when it all started…

She went to a super elite school along with Harumi. Of course Harumi the Princess didn’t like the Queen being there to usurp her status, especially since Harumi’s high status was based only off her looks unlike ________. That girl’s jealousy consumed her and she constantly plotted revenge against ________. A lot of bad things started to unfold and Shin and I were helpless as we watched it all happen. ________ started to lose her smile. One day she was attacked by a group of trained fighters and they overtook her.

She managed to get away and ran to our school, standing and shivering at the gates.” He paused. “I still remember that day. It was raining and dreary. When school let out, we heard that a really pretty girl was standing outside waiting for someone and naturally all the guys ran to go look. Shin and I were shocked to see ________ there, crying with her clothes ripped. Shin and our gang, Uchi, Noda, Minami, and I brought her to my restaurant, which was my father’s at the time, and took care of her. Eventually her story came out and we were furious. Shin begged her to switch schools to come join us where we could keep a better eye on her and she readily agreed.

The next day she was at Shirokin, sitting in class 1-A. In between breaks and during lunch we always hung out with her and finally her smile returned and once again she was the Queen of our school. Things were fine for a while until we found out that due to bad behavior, Harumi switched to Ara High, a school we weren’t particularly friendly with. Drama brewed as Harumi baited their leader to stir up trouble with us. ________, of course, blamed herself.

Ara High kept targeting ________ as she walked home and eventually we rallied our class and jumped them and a huge fight erupted. Yankumi, who was our teacher during that time, appeared out of nowhere and defeated them easily. After that, the raging fire between our schools calmed down as they started focusing on your school. We thought everything was okay and despite our troublesome year, we graduated, worry rising in each of us for ________ because we couldn’t always be there for her anymore.

She gave us a reassuring smile and we hesitatingly went our own ways, me being the only person in our group to stay in the area. Then one day she disappeared. I called up the gang; none of them had heard from her. We searched around and realized that something had happened with Harumi, what exactly went down we couldn’t find out. Out of the blue she came through my door this year, greeting me as if nothing had happened. I’m glad she’s back… but I’m scared. She’s not telling me what caused her to leave like that and I’m not going to press it out of her. But I know it had something, everything, to do with that girl and right now, that girl is still out there, probably waiting for another chance to strike at ________. I’m worried that she’s waiting for a chance to strike _________ dead.” Kuma sighed.

“Dang,” was all I could say.

“That’s not all of it either. That monologue was just the icing on the cake. But I don’t want to overload you and it’s closing time. Come back another day and I can take you deeper if that’s what you want.” He stood up. I rose with him and handed him the cash to pay for the food.

He waved it off. “A friend of ________, especially a friend that she can trust to stay at her house, is a friend of mine. This was on the house.”

I protested, to no avail.

“I’ll probably see you soon,” he waved cheerfully at me as he briskly walked to the back of the store.

“I’ll just leave this as a tip then,” I smirked, placing the money on the table and heading out the door.

I held my hand up to my eyes, shielding them from the sun, and glanced at the cloudless sky.

Sliding my phone open, I dialed her number. “________, pick up,” I muttered.

I heard the phone connect. “________?” I asked, expecting her reply.

“This is Ren. Who’s calling?” A male voice boomed through the phone.

“Why do you have ________’s phone?” I replied hotly.

“She’s currently resting at the house I reside at.”

“Resting? Is she okay?”

“She’ll be fine soon. Who is this?”

“Her roommate, Odagiri. Can you please tell me where she is?”

“Her roommate? As if,” Ren snorted, not believing me.

“Yeah, her roommate. Okay, so I’m more of a housemate. I sleep in the room beside hers. Now please tell me the address so I can pick her up.”

“I don’t believe ________ would let a guy,” he sneered, “sleep in the same house as her.”

I heard a groan issue from his side of the phone. “Ren, is it Odagiri?” ________’s voice filtered through.

“You’re awake? Are you okay?” Ren questioned her.

“Yeah…” she groaned. “Those freaking idiots punch hard.

…. She was in a fight?

“That’s Odagiri, right?” She asked again.

Ren must’ve nodded because her voice soon reached my ears. “Hey Ryu,” she greeted me.

“You got in a fight?”

“Ah.”

“Hey. Just because I always answer with ‘ah’ doesn’t mean you have to, too,” I pouted.

“Fine. Yes, I got in a fight.” I could imagine her rolling her eyes.

“Can I come get you?”

“… I suppose if you really wanted to, yeah. Hang on…” Her voice faded in and out.

Someone burst into the room, her energy overflowing. “________!!”

My ears perked at the voice. I know that person! But who- ?

________’s finger hovered over the mouthpiece, unsure of the new person’s presence.

“It’s Odagiri on the phone,” she warned the person.

She instantly hushed. “Are you serious?” She tried to whisper but failed miserably.

“Hey ________?” I spoke into the phone.

“Yeah?”

“Tell Yankumi that I said hi, okay?”

________ burst out into laughter as she relayed my message.

“How’d he find out?” Yankumi gasped.

“Anyways, where are you guys?” I spun around on the concrete, waiting for their response.

“… I’m at Yankumi’s house,” ________ carefully guarded her answer, making my curiosity rise all the more. “I’ll be home soon.”

“No, no no,” I intercepted her, “no way am I letting you walk home alone.

In the background Yankumi’s loud “whisper” could still be heard. ”Don’t tell him that I live on the corner of XX Road and XX Street!”

 Moments later I was standing, awe stuck, at the front door of a traditional Japanese house. A very large traditional Japanese house.

“Hey ________...?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you come outside?”

The door creaked cautiously open, revealing ________’s shocked face. “How’d you get here?”

“Yankumi needs to work on her whispering,” I smiled. I leaned forward, looking at ________. “Is that a bruise?”

Instantly she backed up, trying to hide her face. I stepped inside and grabbed her arm, swinging her towards me while I shut the door with my foot. “You… why do you have so many bruises?”

Blue spots covered her body as she avoided my gaze.

“________. Answer me please. And don’t tell me that you slipped and fell.”

She cleared uncomfortably. “Well…” She trailed off, trying to think of a way to bypass my question.

I used my other hand and held her chin, turning her face gently up toward mine. “_______.”

She sighed. “Have you heard of the Nakamura Group?” She looked nervously into my eyes and my heart instantly started to race.

“Them and the Oedo family are the two most powerful yakuzas out there,” I replied slowly.

“Well…” She hesitated, uncertain of what to say. “Yankumi HELP ME!”

Our teacher appeared through the doorway, her eyes enormous when she spotted me holding ________.

She yanked my arm off of ________ and spun me, slamming my knee. I fell to the ground.

“Odagiri! NO _________! SHE IS OFFLIMITS,” she screeched.

I stood up slowly, rubbing my head. “Dang sensei, you hit hard. And besides, you got it all wrong!”

________ sheepishly nodded. “He wasn’t trying to do anything bad to me…”

“Oh. AH!!! SORRY!” Yankumi apologized, a panicky look on her face.

“It’s all good. So tell me, what happened and where is this?”

“This is my house,” Yankumi stated obviously.

I looked around and heaved a sigh.

“My family… we’re circus performers,” she explained all too eagerly. “We like imitating famous people.”

________ stood to the side, watching us, amused. “I’m sure he knows by now, Yankumi.” She rubbed her shoulder.

I sat down behind her, pulled her to my lap, and began massaging her shoulders.

Yankumi’s face turned red. “You two… are dating?”

“Wha-what n-n-n-no,” ________ stuttered.

I circled my arms around her and rested my head in the crook of her neck. “What are you talking about?”

She jumped to her feet. “Ay, you!”

I laughed at her cherry colored cheeks. “Just kidding, Yankumi. We’re not in that type of relationship,” I shook my head.

A handsome man walked in, staring at me, his eyes blank. “Who’s this?” He asked quietly.

“Ah, hey Ren. This is Odagiri,” ________ introduced us.

He nodded at me as I did likewise. Placing a hand on ________’s arm, he drew her toward him. “You should rest more,” he advised, a tender look in his eyes.

My body stiffened. Without realizing it, I reached for ________ and pulled her to me. “I’ll take her home.”

Ren’s eyes darkened as we stood there glaring at each other.

“Guys…” Yankumi fluttered around nervously.

Just then a bulky man towered through. “Ojou!”

O… OJOU?

“Minoru!” Yankumi gasped. “You’re… such a good actor, getting into character off stage like that,” she patted his bald head.

So I was right, huh. I smiled quietly to myself.

“This is the Oedo Group’s house, huh?”

Yankumi twirled around at my words, looking like a deer caught in the headlights. I pointed to the sign hanging above the door. 

________ leaned against me, muttering, “I told you he found out.” She glanced up at me. “You won’t tell anyone, right?”

“Why would I?” I was confused. “It’s her personal business.”

Yankumi and the new guy uttered a breath of relief.

“If the school finds out, she’ll get fired,” ________ explained.

“I won’t tell,” I promised.

“Aw man,” Yankumi complained. “I knew this day would come for this class. I thought it was be much more exciting. Like a student finds out and threatens to tell the other teachers… so I’d have to kidnap him for a little bit and then he’ll try to escape…” She grew silent as she saw our faces. “What?”

We shook our heads.

Minoru bustled in the room holding wine. “Let’s drink since Ojou has such good students!”

A tall man appeared in the hallway. “Two Ojous at once, huh?” He raised his eyebrow.

 

Two Ojous?

That means…

________...

I glanced at her.

She kept silent.

 

If she really wanted to tell me, I guess she’ll tell me in due time.

 

Meanwhile…

 

“They’re underage,” Yankumi hissed, grabbing the bottle.

Still in my arms, ________ straightened up. “I still can’t thank y’all enough.”

“It was no biggie. You and Seiji took down most of them on your own,” Ren smiled, the tender look returning to his face.

 

That punk is in love with ________ !

I clenched my teeth.

 

“Take care of Seiji for me, okay?” ________ asked.

Ren nodded. “You sure you want to leave? You can stay longer if you want to, I’m sure.” He looked at me, his eyes full of doubt.

My arms tightened around her.

“It’s all good. Odagiri can take me home,” she responded. “We’ll see you next week, Yankumi!”

Saying goodbye, we turned and left.

Taking a few steps outside, _______ stumbled and I caught her. “Are you okay?” My voice was full of concern as I watched her worriedly.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” she smiled.

“Liar.”

“I’m fine.”

“Liar.”

“I’m fine,” she insisted.

Ignoring her, I swung her up on my back.

“Yaahwhatareyoudoin-oh, you’re giving my a piggy-back ride?” She happily settled onto my back, placing her head on my shoulder. “Yay! Giddyup horsey!”

I laughed as broke into a run. “You have a lot of questions to answer, Missy.”

She groaned. “Do I have to?”

“I mean, if you really don’t want to…”

“Fine, fine. Once we get home,” she buried her head in my shirt.

A couple minutes later, we arrived at home. I shifted the body on my back. “Hey…”

No response.

“Heeey~”

Still no response.

“YO YOUR HIGHNESS!”

She woke with a start. “I DIDN’T FART!”

“Glad to know that,” I laughed.

“Hmph,” came her sullen reply.

I unlocked the door and walked in, setting her down on the couch carefully. She promptly laid down, covering her eyes with her hand.

I knelt down beside her. “Don’t think you’re getting out of it,” I warned.

She sat up, grumpy. “What’s the question?”

“Question number one…” I began. 

 

 

(A/N: ANYWAYS, FINALLY AN UPDATE! WHOOOOO~ && IDK if you guys realized it or not.. but I changed the time ________ was in America from two years to one year. One year flowed better with the story ^^. HOPE YOU GUYS ARE HAVING AN AMAZING SUMMER.. while i'm stuck in summer school. >.< BUT GOOD NEWS! I made some new friends. Heheh. and the teacher is a lot of fun. THANKS TO ALL OF Y'ALL WHO READ THIS ~~ PLEASE COMMENT!)