The Return of Odagiri

You Never Know Until You Try!

 

*YOUR POV*

 

“You go first,” Odagiri said as he hung back.

 

I blinked, confused.

 

“Don’t let the others catch you with me,” he instructed, sighing.

 

I frowned and grabbed his shirt. “Let’s go together.”

 

My head whipped around as, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash behind me.

 

Odagiri yanked me forward to him and placed my face in his shoulder, hiding me. “Some idiot is taking pictures of us, he muttered against me hair. “I don’t think they’re here for you though since they’re taking straight-ons of my face.”

 

“Let’s jump them.” I tensed my body, ready to pounce on the baka enemies.

 

He chuckled. “Then they’ll see your face and we’ll be in trouble.”

 

A car screeched as it tore by us, flashes coming through the window. However, with some foresight, Odagiri had already lowered his head next to mine, blocking their view of me once again.

 

“They’re gone,” he whispered as he released me, looking troubled.

 

He nudged me, trying to lift the mood. “Go to school. I’ll come in after you.”

 

Hesitating, I took a step forward and he nodded. Signing, I complied with his request and arrived at the classroom. Walking in, I greeted everyone and took a seat.

 

“Ay _______!” Tsuchiya called, waving at me happily.

 

Hyuuga attempted to act Western with his casual “Yo!”, making me burst out into laughter.

 

When Takeda arrived, I winked at him, telling him that today was the day. Yabuki joined us soon after, nodding his hello at me as he sat down.

 

Yankumi rushed in, huffing and puffing as usual.

 

Just as the late bell was about to sing it’s daily song, the door slipped open and Odagiri stepped in.

 

 

The whole class froze.

 

“Hey,” I called out, cheerfully waving at him.

“Ohayou,” Takeda ventured, smiling brightly at his best friend.

 

He barely acknowledged our greetings as he focused on Yabuki, who was seething.

 

“Well, well, well. Odagiri Ryu, it’s about time you showed up! Welcome!” Yankumi happily tapped her attendance sheet.

 

“What is he doing here?” Yabuki glared at him, wrath floating in his eyes.

 

Before he could say anything else, the door slammed open and Sawatari and his minion barged in, frantic.

 

“What are you doing here?” They screeched, flapping their arms at Odagiri. “You were supposed to come back!”

 

He silently stood there, enduring their harsh treatment.

 

“Go home and stay home,” Sawatari ordered.

 

A seed of anger planted itself in my heart and started growing.

 

“Yeah. You’re nothing but trouble,” Sawatari’s short puppy barked.

 

I rose from my seat and they shut their mouths. Odagiri watched me, amused at their instant reaction.

 

“What type of Head Teacher are you?” I snorted.

 

“Ex-excuse me?”

 

“I mean,” I waved my hand in the air, “if word gets out that Kirogin encourages their kids to stay home…” I shrugged, letting them finish the sentence in their minds.

 

“Tha-tha-that’s because Odagiri Ryu is a horrible student and only fights!”

 

I narrowed my eyes.

 

Sawatari’s monkey nervously continued speaking. “I’m sure parents would agree that they want their kids in a safe environment.” 

 

“Yeah! If you want a good school, you have to keep the bad things out of it,” the old man jumped in.

 

“Just like Shin, right? And Kuma? And Uchi? And Minami? And Noda?” I growled.

 

Huffing, he turned to Yankumi, expecting her support.

 

Instead, she stood there, her eyes glowing with muted anger. “You forgot, Mr. Head Teacher, that I was the one who taught them? Those five were my precious students just like these guys right here.”

 

Defeated, he left the room, fuming.

 

“This isn’t over,” his minion squeaked as he followed his leader out.

 

The door shut again, the hostility level in the room rising.

 

“We don’t need a traitor like you,” Yabuki hissed as the others watched worriedly.

 

“LESSON TIME,” Yankumi roared.