Chapter 4.

Tied

“What is it, Eunji-ah?” Yoona asked as her eyes fluttered open. She looked at the clock on her night stand and it was still 4:00AM.

 

“Bathroom,” Eunji replied as she left the bed, she tripped but thankfully she fell back into the bed and not into the floor.

 

“Are you okay?” Yoona asked, making an effort to sit up.

 

“Yes, I’m okay,” Eunji replied with a smile.

 

“Did you want me to go with you?” Yoona asked, her voice was husky and worn out.

 

“No, I’m a big girl now. I can go by myself,” Eunji answered. Yoona smiled weakly at her and nodded her head.

 

“Okay then, good night.”

 

“Good night, Unnie,” Eunji said as she stumbled her way to the bathroom.

 

Yoona didn’t sleep after that though. Eunji was in the bathroom and there she was, on bed and the silence enveloped her. Her thoughts immediately went to Donghae. Donghae who she loved. Donghae who did not love her back after all. Donghae who only sees her  as a sister.

 

I love you the same way I do Amber.

 

Donghae who will always only see her a sister. Donghae who she can’t have anymore. Donghae who is so kind and sweet. Donghae who scolded the boys that called her a giraffe. Donghae who helped her with her homework. Donghae who sent her encouraging text messages during exams.

 

Donghae who is not tied to her.

 

When Eunji went back to bed, Yoona prayed she would keep her busy so she wouldn’t have to think about Donghae anymore. Unfortunately for her, Eunji’s eyes closed immediately and were never opened until the next morning.

*********

 

Yoona overslept ,again. When she woke up, Eunji wasn’t next to her. She looked at the clock and wasn’t surprised to find that it’s already 1:00PM.

 

“Eunji-ah!” she called, just to make sure that Eunji didn’t leave the house.

 

“I’m down here with grandma!” Eunji’s responded immediately.

 

“Tell Grandma to save me some breakfast! I’ll be there in 5 minutes!” Yoona shouted again.

 

“Gotcha!” Eunji shouted back.

 

Yoona washed her face and changed into her usual attire. A t-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans. She was on her way down when her phone started ringing. She ran back to her room and grabbed it.

 

“Good morning,” Yoona answered.

 

“Morning, Doe. I have good news for you,” Changmin said, his voice louder than usual.

 

“Don’t tell me…” Yoona broke into a smile.

 

“We found Eunji’s Dad,” Changmin continued, speaking out her own guess.

 

“That’s great!” Yoona said happily, “Where did you find him?Why did he leave her in the park by herself? Never mind that now; I’ll go tell Eunji, She’ll be really happy.”

 

“Yeah,  It doesn’t matter where they found him,  I’ll stop by to pick her up in an hour, good bye,” Changmin said.

 

Yoona jumped her way down the stairs to deliver the good news to Eunji and her grandma. There were two customers at the bakery who Yoona greeted before she ran into the kitchen where Eunji was sitting and telling her Grandma yet another story of hers.

 

“Eunji-ah, I told you we’ll found him! Changmin ajussi called and said we found him!” Yoona exclaimed.

 

Eunji’s eyes opened really big, “Really?”

 

“Really!”

 

The little girl’s eyes filled with happy tears as she tried to continue to smile, “I’m so happy I thought the bad guys got him…I thought I’ll never see him again…”

 

“Of course they didn’t,” Yoona said, as she pinched Eunji’s chubby cheeks.

 

“When does he get here?” Eunji asked, calming down a bit.

 

“We’ll go to him when Changmin ajussi comes, Okay?” Yoona said.

 

“When does he come?” Eunji asked impatiently.

 

“Soon. Until then, how about you go take a shower then we’ll dress you nicely and do your hair so your Dad will be proud of you?”

“Okay!” Eunji said happily.

 

*************

By the time Changmin entered the little bakery, Eunji was dressed in her new baby blue dress and Yoona had prepared an old small suitcase that contained all of Eunji’s new clothes. Eunji was ready to be reunited with her Dad but Yoona was not ready to let Eunji go. She learned a lot of things about Eunji  in the few hours they spent together. Eunji told Yoona a lot of stories and adventures she went on with her Dad and so Yoona didn’t think of her as a stranger anymore. She was someone she knew and who made her laugh.

 

And knowing that Eunji’s Dad is probably going to take her away to other cities and maybe even outside the country didn’t make her happy either.

 

“Ready to go, Eunji?” Changmin said, grinning as he stretched his hand for Eunji to hold.

 

“Yes!” Eunji immediately replied, holding Changmin’s hand as they made their way out of the bakery, leaving Yoona and her Grandmother standing there and waving.

 

“Wait!” Yoona called desperately, “You forgot her suitcase.”

 

“Oh,” Changmin spotted the small pink suitcase that was in Yoona’s hands.

 

When he reached out to take it from her though, Yoona’s grip the suitcase strongly, refusing to let go of it. Changmin looked up, questioningly and Yoona heaved a sigh as she finally let go.

 

“Can I go with you?” Yoona finally asked. She honestly just wanted more time with Eunji.

 

“Why not,” Changmin shrugged indifferently.

 

“Yoona, don’t forget to bring at least 5 bags of flour with you,” her grandmother called.

 

“I bought some yesterday didn’t I?” Yoona turned back to look at her grandmother as Changmin held the door open for her and Eunji.

 

“You only bought one, dear,” said the older one. Yoona remembered that a certain someone made her want to get out of the store as soon as possible and so she just got one.

 

“Sorry, I’ll buy more today,” Yoona said.

***********

 

Eunji and Yoona waited in Changmin’s car for him and Jinyoung (Eunji’s Dad) to leave the police station. Yoona’s thoughts drifted Donghae yet again because Eunji wasn’t in her talkative mode anymore.

 

“That’s Daddy!” Eunji cheered, bringing Yoona back to the world. Yoona followed her gaze to the worn-out looking old man. His attire was as messy as Eunji’s when Yoona first met her in the park. What caught Yoona’s attention the most though was the look on her Dad’s face when he spotted Eunji. He didn’t look happy to see her for some reason. He smiled but it was rather an intimidated smile than an happy one. Yoona shook her head and told herself she was imagining things as she got out of the car and followed Eunji who was already in her Dad’s embrace.

 

“Daddy, I missed you!” Eunji cried as she hugged him.

 

“Daddy missed you to, Eunji-ah”  Jinyoung responded as he pulled her down and eyed Yoona and Changmin who had moved to stand by her side, “I see Eunji made new friends.”

 

“Yup. This is Yoona Unnie,” Eunji said, smiling so widely that all of her teeth were showing, “And that is Changmin ajussi.”

 

“You have a very pretty daughter,” Yoona finally spoke as Jinyoung ruffled his daughter’s head in adoration.

 

“A very pretty quiet daughter,” Changmin added and Jinyoung smiled.

 

“I’m sure Eunji behaved herself last night, right?” Jinyoung asked Yoona.

 

“Well…” Yoona looked at Eunji’s pouting and grinned, “She was good.”

 

“Okay then, I’ll take things from here, Thank you for taking care of my daughter,” Jinyoung said and Yoona thought she saw an annoyed expression for a moment but he soon replaced that look with a smile.

 

“Her suitcase is in the trunk, I’ll go get it,” Changmin offered.

 

“Did you put money into it?” Jinyoung asked but he earned two shocked looks from the pair and realized he just made a mistake, “Just kidding! I mean, why would you put money in it? Of course you wouldn’t…”

 

Jinyoung fell into uneasy laughter but neither Yoona nor Changmin returned the laugh. All Yoona wanted to do at this point was go and grab Eunji’s hand and take her home with her but of course, she wouldn’t, she couldn’t. Because, really, who is she to take his daughter from him? Even if she did make an attempt to take Eunji with her, she knew Eunji would never go.

 

Jinyoung claimed the small suitcase from Changmin and crossed the street with Eunji’s hand in his. With every step they took, Yoona’s heart grew heavier and heavier.

 

“He doesn’t look very nice, does he?” Yoona asked Changmin.

 

“I don’t know,” Changmin shrugged, and then realized that Yoona was being serious, “What’s wrong?”

 

“I have a bad feeling about him, I can’t trust him with her,” Yoona explained, eyes locked on Eunji and her Dad who were now sitting in the Metro stop.

 

“Yoona, he’s her Dad, he won’t hurt his own daughter,” Changmin said, already going in his car.

 

“I know but…” Yoona trailed off because she knew she was being irrational.

 

“So…am I taking you home or are you going to wait for someone else?” Changmin shouted after turning on the engine.

 

“I’m not waiting for anyone,” Yoona stated, eyes never leaving the father and the daughter.

 

“What’re you waiting for then? Hop in, come on, I have things to do,” Changmin called from the car, Yoona didn’t have to look back to know that he was probably rolling his eyes.

 

Groaning, she finally teared her eyes away from the pair and “hopped in” the car.

 

“So,” Changmin said once Yoona was seated, “We’re going to get flour for your grandmother first right?”

 

Yoona raised her eye brows, “I thought you had other things to do.”

 

“The grocery store is on our way anyways,” Changmin shrugged, “It’s not like I want to spend time with you either.”

 

“Yeah, right,” Yoona grinned, “just drive, Changmin. Just drive”

 

A/N I know this is a short chapter so I'm planning on posting another one before the end of the week :) I hope the story isn't boring so far, more characters will show up in the future that I know you all will love.

A special thanks to Yoonda, YoonaFAN14,mysticalbeez and yumikk623 for commenting, I appreciate it!  And thanks to all of Tied's subscribers as well