Deep

The Other Side of the Mirror

DOUBLE UPDATE: GO BACK ONE CHAPTER

 

 


"No."

Chanyeol huffed and scowled at Kai in annoyance. "Hey dude you lost the game so be a man! Do it!" he urged. Baekhyun nodded furiously beside his best friend.

Kai squeezed his eyes shut and sighed in annoyance. "How is doing the gwiyomi being a man?" he raised a brow. "It doesn't fit my, my..." he gestured to himself up and down and snorted. "My image."

"You don't have an image to begin with so heck it." D.O. commented casually while chewing on a baked potato. "Come on, do it while my battery lasts so I can post this on facebook when we get back."

Kai narrowed his eyes at D.O.. If looks could kill our D.O. would probably by rolling on the ground in pain right then. "Oh alright alright." Kai sighed while shooting Sunmi one last desperate look. Sunmi gave him an encouraging smile and a thumbs up.

"Ildeohagi ileun gwiyomi, Eeldeohagi eeneun gwiyomi, Samdeohagi sameun gwiyomi, Gwigwi gwiyomi gwigwi gwiyomi." Kai's face was scrunched up in utmost pain as he did the cutesy actions as best as he could. However really even if Kai was really good looking and all, he really suited the y suave look much better.

"Come on, cuter!" Chanyeol cheered him on. Suho shook his head in amusement as he taped down the entire fiasco. "Man you're not even half as cute as Sehun when he does that."

"Sadeohagi saeun.." Kai narrowed his eyes at Chanyeol who kept wriggling his brows teasingly and finally snapped. "AISH DUDE STOP IT BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE." he growled menacingly.

Chanyeol backed away and put his hands up in defence. "You're no fun." he muttered under his breath.

Everyone finally calmed down long enough to realize that Sunmi wasn't with them anymore. She was pacing around while wringing her hands in a highly unsettling manner. Her gaze darted around frequently as she kept casting glances towards the main road.

D.O. cocked his head to the side and raised his brows at her. "Sunmi, what are you doing?" he called out in confusion.

Sunmi didn't seem to hear him and that was the moment when the boys realized that she was too immersed in her own world to notice whatever that was happening around her. Her lips kept moving as she whispered and murmured to herself while her brows were knotted tight.

Suho frowned and took a step nearer. "Sunmi?" he echoed D.O.'s words, but louder.

Sunmi finally took notice of the boys, her face now paler than ever. Suho strode to her side in a hurry as the worry rose in his chest. "Is anything the matter?"

"Sehun." Sunmi whispered, her parched lips. "He isn't back yet. I know this isn't a really legit reason to worry since he's only gone for like...1 hour," she glanced at her watch. "But I just have this unsettling feeling nagging at me and I just can't....I.."

The rest of the boys finally noticed how long Sehun had gone, a fact that was missed by them while they were too busy fooling around with each other. Baekhyun forced a stiff smile as he patted Sunmi's shoulder comfortingly. "I don't think it's something to worry about. Maybe he just got distracted by something along the way? You know how child-like Sehun is."

Sunmi nodded hesitantly. She knew it was completely probable in such a case, her boyfriend was so naive and child-like that she could be his nanny. However she also knew that her boyfriend had moments of manliness especially when it came to things regarding her. He would never let her worry unnecessarily especially when he was in such a dangerous position.

"It's my fault for letting him go." Suho bit his lip, frowning. "I'll go look for him. Maybe he's just lost." he muttered hopefully, even though it sounded absurd to be lost along a straight road.

"Let's all split up to look for him." Chanyeol suggested, getting to his feet and looking exceptionally determined. The gang split into two big teams at once and went off in separate directions without having Suho to direct them. They were just so familiar with each other that they knew what each other wanted and how to operate within themselves.

Sunmi jogged off hurriedly with Suho and D.O. while the other three went off, calling out Sehun's name and hopping to hear an answer to their continuous calls. Every second that passed made Sunmi more nervous than she originally was, her sixth sense telling her that something wasn't right.

Love made people so stupid didn't it? From the cool-headed Kim Sunmi to the Kim Sunmi that freaked out incessantly, that became overly sensitive for no reason, that became jealous for the smallest things...

"Sehun please be okay." Sunmi whispered to herself.

...and somehow there was no turning back.

 


Sunmi thought she could positively throw up. No, she could. No doubt.

She felt sick to the core of her bone and it wasn't so much of the physical weariness that was making her feel this way. Sure, her feet were sore from running around in those thin sandals of hers, tripping over rocks more than twice, and her calves felt over-excercised.

However, the real source of discomfort came from the growing anxiety with every minute that passed with Sehun not found. The six of them were already at it for two hours straight and it was now pitch dark even if only slightly past eight in the evening, due to different weather conditions in the rural areas.

It didn't help that the environment made everything more dark and dreary to match Sunmi's mood. The boys had already given up trying to convince Sunmi and themselves that perhaps Sehun was alright.

Something was obviously wrong. How could a grown up guy like him get lost while going up and down this straight path? It was ridiculous. There were no turns, no winding lanes, no need to choose between right or left because the path was just that straightforward.

Unless Sehun had intentionally walked off the path himself, there was no way he could have gotten lost unintentionally.

The worst thing about the entire ordeal was that they could turn to no one for help, because that would attract attention towards Sehun, which in his case was very dangerous indeed. Being a wanted man on the run resulted in many restrictions.

Sunmi called out Sehun's name for the umpteenth time, her voice coarse and rough from all the shouting, as she finally collapsed against a tree, panting. Where was he?

A rustle from the front made Sunmi look up and she saw Kai walking towards her with a solemn expression. Her heart dropped at the way he swallowed visibly while making his way to her and how his fists clenched and unclenched repeatedly.

No. NO.

 

-----

 

He was caught.

Somehow during his short journey down the road to the foot of the mountain, his two minute stay in the convenience store buying the necessary drinks, Sehun got caught by the police. It was strange how quick they were to pick him out from the rest of the folks, and Sunmi would really have praised the men for their good job had the criminal-in-question not have been her boyfriend.

Dejected was the mildest of all words to describe how she felt. After all they had gone through to venture into this world to save Sehun from his cruel fate, it seemed none of it had helped.

And to think they even escaped several close calls previously. All that didn't matter because their ultimate purpose of protecting Sehun had failed. Once in the hands of the police, it was near impossible to save him.

How on earth could six youngsters fight the Seoul Police Force, to barge into the high security jail systems to save Sehun? They couldn't even afford a lawyer to fight the case.

Even worse, they couldn't tell anyone else that the person involved in the hit and run was another Sehun, because then the six of them would undoubtedly be sent to the mental hospital. No one would ever believe that there was another mirror world out there if they weren't directly involved.

. They were in deep .

Tears streamed down Sunmi's eyes as she peeked in through the window display to catch the six o'clock national news. As expected, Oh Sehun finally caught! was the big news of the day and the policemen looked particularly at triumph as they brought the handcuffed Sehun back to the police station.

D.O. let out a huge sigh and buried his face in his hands. Now they were stuck here with almost no way of returning home, and Sehun was caught with a possible life-sentence hanging above his head.

Even if they did find another enchanted mirror to save their asses from this world, how could they save Sehun from jail?

Deep this was. Deep .