His Choice

The Other Side of the Mirror

"Hey where are two of you going?"

D.O. inwardly groaned and spun around while Sunmi just shrugged. "Kyungsoo suggested to go look for the enchanted mirror."

Kai raised his brows. "Without us? Wait for me while I get my bag. I want to help too." he rushed back into class.

D.O. stuffed his hands in his pockets and quickly thought of how to shake off the dance machine. He very nearly thought of grabbing Sunmi's hand and pulling her out of the place but it would raise a lot of questions.

Chanyeol appeared soon after, with Baekhyun following closely as they joined the umma and the daughter. "Hey we heard from Kai that the two of you are going to find the mirror this afternoon. We want to join too." Baekhyun grinned.

D.O. groaned to himself and clenched his hands to prevent himself from storming into the classroom and strangling the dance machine. Damn him and his big mouth. Now he had to shake off three big guys. How was he supposed to do that, exactly?

Kai soon appeared from the classroom with Suho and D.O. felt like dying. Great, the appa was going to join as well. JUST GREAT.

Suho eyed D.O. with slight question. "I heard from Kai that you're initiating this search this afternoon. What brought it on?" he asked. Well surprise surprise, the appa was suspicious. AGAIN.

"Can't I want to work for my daughter's welfare?" D.O. pouted. "We all know that Sehun belongs to another world and the best way for Sunmi to recover is if he's sent away to where he belongs. Right?"

"That's right!" Chanyeol clapped and Sunmi just gave a weak nod. Didn't mean that things that were theoritically right had to make you feel good.

Suho still looked a little suspicious but more relaxed than he had been originally. He obviously didn't believe D.O. would completely take his view on things but it didn't harm anyone if they were going to look for the mirror. The sooner Angel Boy exchanged places with the Devil the better. Sunmi was getting more and more melancholic by the day.

The gang moved out of school to another one of the regions which they hadn't searched through before, and they split up in groups to attack the area. For the first time, D.O. volunteered to go searching for the mirror with Sunmi and whisked her off before Suho had a say in anything.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun paired off of course, and Kai was left with the leader.

Suho frowned as he watched D.O. pull Sunmi along with him as quickly as possible and disappearing around the corner. "Is it me or does it seem like that umma seems to be up to something?"

Kai rubbed his chin. "He's always up to something." he shrugged. "But in all honesty it seems today he looks more suspicious than usual."

Suho twisted his lip. His sentiments exactly. Should he be worried?

"But I'm sure he won't do anything to harm Sunmi if that's what you're worried about." Kai concluded. "Better get going to find that mirror soon. What was that Sunmi thinking, falling for that Oh Sehun. You've got to admit he's cute but I didn't peg her for that kind of girl that has a soft spot for sweet innocent smiles. Gawd the maknae is just like a child some times and..." he walked out of range and Suho stopped listening.

He sighed softly to himself to tried to relax. D.O. wouldn't do anything to hurt Sunmi, that was right. He followed after Kai with a lighter heart and tried to dispel the worry from the back of his mind.

Well the thing was, harm came in rather different definitions in their dictionaries. Heh.

 

 

 

D.O. glanced at Sunmi from the corner of his eye and heard her sigh loudly again. He shook his head in amusement. "Why, miss Sehun that much?" he teased.

Sunmi reddened at his words and slapped his arm. "Shut up." she hissed. She didn't deny, he noticed.

D.O. followed after her and hummed a happy tune. "If it makes you feel better, I think Sehun is suffering as much as you are after the faux break up." he added innocently. "His dark circles are on par to yours, you know."

Sunmi scowled. "If there's any reason he's losing sleep, I bet it's because Jina's keeping him up at night." she muttered in irritation at the mention of that girl. "She is, after all, his one and only love of his life."

"Hm." D.O. murmured. "That can change you know."

"Perhaps," Sunmi shrugged, not wanting to allow herself to hope because she knew how dangerous it was. "But not in this case." She fussed around the shop and looked through all the mirrors carefully. "We better find that darn mirror soon and switch the Sehuns."

D.O. cocked his head to the side as he observed her jittery hands. "But do you want him to go?"

Sunmi's hands stopped moving and she stared blankly at her reflection in the mirror. Did she want him to go? Must he really ask that?

"He isn't supposed to be here." Sunmi whispered softly. "He belongs to somewhere else. It's only right that we send him back where he belongs."

"But you didn't answer my question." D.O. pointed out. "Do you WANT him to go? Do you?"

Sunmi swallowed and took few moments to answer. No. Of course she didn't want him to go. Which girl with a sane mind would want the guy she loved to be sent away to another world, never to be seen ever again. Like seriously. 

"Of course I do." Sunmi found herself saying. "It's stupid how I fell in love with him and I just...well if he disappears from my life it's going to make forgetting him easier isn't it? That's the right thing to do." she shook her head and busied herself with the mirrors once more.

D.O. eyed her from the side and wrinkled his nose. "Fine lie all you want." he muttered to himself. "Let's see what you'll do when he comes." he backed away to another corner of the store and whipped out his phone.

He typed a quick message and grinned to himself. Do Kyungsoo, you genius.

------

Sunmi found that she wasn't really looking carefully for the mirror. Her thoughts were on D.O.'s few questions and they lingered in her mind. Logic told her that if she was to get over Sehun, moving him to the furthest possible place was the most effective solution.

However if she was to succeed in doing that, where would she be?

Sunmi didn't know how to describe the agony she would feel if that happened and knew that the actual agony would be a hundred times worst than what she could imagine. The knowledge that she could possibly never see Sehun again would kill her everytime she thought about it.

Perhaps he would be back in his happy little life with his best friend Jina and everything would be fine. She would go back to hating the Devil and hate him even more because his darn face reminded her of the guy she loved.

Fine. Everything would be perfectly fine if he left. NOT.

Sunmi sighed softly and touched one of the metal framed mirrors while staring at her reflection. She remembered the days when she felt oddly jealous of the Sunmi from the other world just because the other Sunmi was dating the other Suho. Those days felt so long and distant.

If only she still loved Suho like she thought she did. Even if Suho didn't return her feelings, she could still satisfy herself by stealing glances at him, no matter how pathetic.

Now that she was in love with a boy from another world who coincidentally had to be crushing on the one girl she hated the most, she would have to suffer from the heart break that he didn't like her back and she would never have the chance to see him again when he was gone.

Great. Just great.

Sunmi sighed softly and flipped the mirror around in her hands mindlessly. What was she going to do if-

Her mind stopped working all of a sudden when she saw the familiar words written on the back of the mirror she currently held. She rubbed her eyes a few times and squinted at the words, horrified to realize they were still there.

Black and white. Day and night. Switch us opposites by daylight.

. She found the mirror.

Everything she had thought of was "if" she found the mirror. "If" she found the mirror, she would send Sehun to where he belonged. "If" she found the mirror, Sehun would be gone from her life and she would recover from her heart break slowly.

Well great, because "if" had instantly changed to "when". Now she really found the mirror so what was she going to do? She almost felt like breaking the mirror to bits so that Sehun didn't have a way of returning and he could forever stay here. Gosh, she sounded like some psychotic stalker.

Okay cool it. Breathe in breathe out, she thought to herself. It wasn't going to be that bad, she figured. What she would do was to find some place to hide this mirror first, go home and think about her options and then come back to-

"Sunmi?"

OH . Sunmi whirled around in her spot and was absolutely shocked to see Sehun gaping back at her. Apparently he never expected her to be there either and he took in her sight as if he was left in a desert with an awful thirst. Why did his eyes look at her with such longing and adoration and- STOP IT. Sunmi shook her head and squeezed her eyes shut. Who knew being in love made your imagination prosper?

"What are you doing here?" Sunmi asked sharply, her voice rough.

Sehun looked a little crestfallen at her less-than-happy reaction to seeing him. "Uhm D.O. hyung told me to come." he fiddled with his phone. "He sent me a message to come here immediately so I came."

Sunmi blinked and looked around. Hey where was that guy? He was supposed to be looking for the mirror with her and he went off without her? Umma indeed.

"Listen Sunmi," Sehun took a step towards her and Sunmi shuffled back. He looked pained and his eyes roamed her face. Sunmi never knew the innocent Sehun could look so torn with that cute face of his. "About Valentine's day-"

"I found the mirror." she cut him off, blurting without thinking. She mentally smacked herself. What happened to the plan of hiding the mirror, going home to formulate her plans and stuff?

Sehun's eyes widened and his gaze snapped to the mirror she was holding. "Are you sure?" he whispered.

"Yes." Sunmi gave a shaky nod. "Look. The words are here. The exact same words. Now all you have to do is read those words and look in the mirror and everything will be fine again. Go on." her voice broke at the end and she struggled to remain nonchalant.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS SHE DOING? She was going to send him away so easily without even saying how she felt? Sunmi felt like an awful coward but she didn't know how she could turn things from how they already were.

"Now?" Sehun gaped. "Like right this second? But I don't want to-" he struggled. "How about the EXO-K boys and I haven't told you..." he rasped. "I just..."

"The sooner you return the better. Everything will return to normal." Sunmi reasoned even though she didn't believe what she said. "It's better if you leave right now. It'll take a few hours to dawn for the change to take place anyway. You can say the words first and then go say your goodbyes."

"But I don't want to..." Sehun bit his lip. He couldn't go, but what about his life back there? "Do you, do you really want me to go?" Sehun asked softly, eying Sunmi. Please say no.

"Yes." Sunmi looked him in the eye and replied firmly. "It's best if you went. It's only right. You don't belong here." Oh no oh no what did she just sayyyy?

Sunmi handed the mirror to Sehun and waited expectantly for him to say the magic words. Sehun gripped the metal framed mirror till his knuckles went white. What should he do? He knew he should return because he couldn't just resume the Devil's position. It was stealing someone else's identity.

But...but....

"If you're not going to do it, I'll do it for you." Sunmi snatched the mirror from him. If he had to go, better get it over and done with right? So maybe she might cry till she was half-dead if he went, but it was the right thing to do. He could return to his Jina and he would be happy again.

"Black and white. Day and night. Switch us opposites by daylight." Sunmi read the words and was about to turn the mirror to face Sehun when the most unexpected thing happened. Sehun actually reached out to grab the mirror and he smashed it onto the floor. The mirror broke into little shards at their feet and Sunmi stared at it in shock. "Sehun what-"

"I can't leave." Sehun croaked. "I don't want to."

"Sehun." Sunmi watched him with large eyes, still unable to get over the fact that he smashed the mirror. He just threw the ticket away, the only ticket he had to return home.

"I can't leave, Sunmi, don't you understand?" Sehun gripped her shoulders and pulled her to him, careful to avoid the sharp mess at their feet. "I love you. I don't want to go back to my world if there isn't you there. I can't."

And then he pressed his lips urgently against hers as if trying to persuade her of how real his words were and Sunmi could do nothing but kiss back. Angel boy, you stupid stupid angel boy.

....

D.O. peeked in from the outside of the shop and grinned, pumping his fist in the air. The ship sailed wonderfully, all thanks to captain Do Kyungsoo.