The Mirror

The Other Side of the Mirror

"Just kill me, please." Sunmi groaned as she buried her face in her hands.

It had been a week since the start of the project with the Devil but they hadn't gotten anywhere at all. He wasn't willing to contribute anything to the project, but he sure didn't mind criticising her every idea.

They were still at where they had started while the other students had already conducted some of their interviews and were halfway done with their own projects. It was infuriating with such an uncooperative person in her team.

"I'm going to fail this one." Sunmi muttered dejectedly, shaking her head. "There's no way I'll do good in this project with me being paired with the Devil."

Suho looked at her in concern and frowned. "Do you want me to bring this up to the teachers?" he asked anxiously. "I'm sure something can be done."

"I think it's best not to offend the entire soccer team thank you very much." Sunmi muttered, forcing a grateful grin in Suho's direction. She sighed softly and propped her chin up with her elbows. "If only I wasn't so unfortunate to get him as my partner in the first place."

Suho chuckled softly and sat down beside her while they waited for the other EXO-K members to turn up for school. They were usually the two to reach earliest and Kai was no doubt the latest.

"Take it as training then," Suho suggested. "I'm sure there are worse people out there than Oh Sehun." he comforted.

Sunmi shot Suho a doubtful look and Suho raised both his hands in defeat. "Oh alright, I admit it's kind of hard to find someone like that unless they're a terrorist or murderer, but you get what I mean." He grinned.

Sunmi laughed and shook her head in amusement. Suho smiled when she smiled and he patted her head. "Don't be too stressed about it. You'll always have us five behind your back and we'll help you whenever."

Sunmi raised a brow. "Might I remind you that there's a person called Kim Jong In amongst us?"

Suho faltered and he cleared his throat. "So maybe the four of us would help, and Kai would stand and watch, but you get what I mean again." he grinned. Sunmi burst into peals of laughter and Suho smiled. Sunmi calmed herself down and beamed back at the Student Council President.

Suho was really a nice person. He always made her laugh and she always felt safe when she was around him, knowing he would never do anything bad to her intentionally and betrayal was not on his list. He was just such a dependable person in her life.

A few female girls went over to Suho and distracted him from her. "Sunbae-nim, can you help? A water pipe burst in the level two female's toilet and we don't know what to do!" they were slightly drenched as well.

Suho frowned and immediately shot up from his seat. "I'll be right there, contact the teachers for me." he looked back at Sunmi and she gave a nod. Sending her an occupied smile, Suho rushed off with the girls doing his councilor duties and Sunmi sighed dreamily as he went.

So yes, that was the big fat secret Sunmi was keeping from the rest of the EXO-K boys. They were just so familiar and too bonded like a family that the fact that she had a crush on their leader made everything seem weird. She could tell none of the EXO-K boys even when the degree of closeness she had with them, because she didn't want to ruin their friendship.

Suho never responded to her with anything more than platonic and he didn't give any indication that he liked her more than friends. But whatever, she just liked him.

It was hard not to when he was just so nice and sincere to everyone. He was made the President of the Student's Council for a reason. Even when he didn't hold such a post, he was always helpful and sincere to even the people that usually scoffed him, he was just too kind-hearted for words.

Sunmi realized that she had developed some kind of a little crush for him a year ago when a girl confessed to Suho on Valentine's day and Sunmi was surprised to find some sort of pinch when she witnessed the scene. She was also sadistically happy when Suho rejected the girl.

She began observing her own feelings for the leader and bam, she realized she had a crush on him.

Sunmi sighed softly as she stared blankly at the ground. If only Suho gave more of an indication of what he felt for her, that would be great.

"Yah what you doin? Plotting on how to kill everyone with your cooking?"

Sunmi narrowed her eyes and scowled at Baekhyun who sat down together with Chanyeol. "If I'm to kill someone, I'd kill you, Baek."

Chanyeol slung his arm around his best friend and grinned at Sunmi. "I'll protect him!" he offered.

Sunmi shook her head in amusement and rolled her eyes. "The two bonkers."

 

 

 

"We're so going to fail the project, I know it."

Sunmi scowled at the Devil's back, narrowing her eyes at him. As if she didn't know! Hello, she had him as her partner! Which part of that didn't spell I-M-M-E-D-I-A-T-E   F-A-I-L-U-R-E?

"I mean, what the hell?" the Devil continued. "Interviewing antique shop holders? How stupid is that?" he spat. "We could be interviewing Park Ji Sung and people like that but no, you want to interview antique shop holders. What the man? It seems you aren't as clever as you claim to be."

Sunmi was ready to pluck that stupid head out of his body. Since when did she claim she was clever? She had always been humble and discreet about her own results.

"I can totally picture that big fat F on our result slips." the Devil continued. "Why the did I trust you with the thinking of the plan? I can tell you that Teacher Jung was totally lying about how great this idea is. That pig is going to give us an F when the time comes, I guarantee."

Excuse me? Sunmi closed her eyes and took a deep breath, damn this guy he was such a jerk.

"And to think I let myself be dragged by you to go around interviewing freaking antique shop holders on this hot afternoon when I can be doing something else." the Devil continued complaining, which was secretly his favorite hobby - something he loved even more than soccer. "I must have accumulated enough good karma this life to have gone to heaven, I tell you."

"Keep thinking that." Sunmi hissed under her breath. She rolled her eyes at the Devil and stormed ahead of him, scowling back at him when he didn't do anything to follow with her speed. "Catch up, you toot. Or I'll kick you where it hurts the most."

The Devil snickered. "Some little girl can't even say balls out loud without blushing, huh?"

"Shut up." Sunmi whipped her face around, her face reddening but with anger instead of the supposed embarrassment. She stormed ahead of him to the antique shop nearby, grabbing the paper and pen from her bag.

In all honesty, she thought her idea was great.

Who would have thought to interview antique shop holders? Antiques were valuable and hold lots of significance, but at the same time they were very mysterious as one would tend to wonder about who had owned this particular item and when in the past.

There were also a lot of unique and strange items to be found in antique shops and to Sunmi, it was a place full of treasures.

However, there weren't a lot of these shops around and Sunmi thought it was a good idea to bring some attention to this line of work. Was there even business for this? Were there people buying these stuff? Why continue doing some business like that?

And even the nasty Teacher Jung actually praised her for the idea so all in all, yes Kim Sunmi felt good. Until this Oh Sehun decided to criticize her everything till she sounded like she wasn't worth anything. Oh you asssssss.

She got into the shop and noticed an old man polishing the glass cupboard while the entire shop was empty. The other shops down the streets selling apparel or food were crowded with teenagers and customers, but this particular one stayed empty the entire time.

"Ahjusshi?" Sunmi approached the old man gingerly. "Ahjusshi, I'm Sunmi from SM High. I was wondering if you were free to answer a few questions for our school project?"

The old man put on his glasses and eyed Sunmi, raising a brow in confusion. "Our...?"

Sunmi snapped her head back and let out a strangled sigh when she noticed that the Devil hadn't followed her into the shop. She stormed out of the shop and saw him trying to escape instead, walking further and further away from her.

"YAH OH SEHUN!" Sunmi roared. "Get your puny right back here or I'll kick you. I swear!"

The Devil rolled his eyes and pointed the finger at her before strolling back, making it clear that he wasn't happy with her. He got into the shop and leaned against the wall, looking bored and pissed with everything. Even the air he was breathing.

Sunmi smiled gingerly at the ahjusshi. "I'm sorry about that." she bowed. "We're...." UNFORTUNATELY "...partners in a project at school and I hope we can interview you for it?" she beamed at the ahjusshi. "If you don't mind of course. None of the questions are going to probe into your personal life, I promise."

The ahjusshi looked at her and gave her a gentle smile. "I don't mind. I'm actually flattered that you find me interesting enough to ask questions." he chuckled. "Sure, fire away."

Sunmi nodded and flipped to the page where she had written all her questions. She asked questions about the ahjusshi's passion for what he did, the reason for persisting, the joy he found in his line of work.

She ended off the interview with a last question. "So tell me," she smiled at the ahjusshi. "Any interesting objects you have come across before?"

The ahjusshi's face suddenly turned unreadable and he gave a sly smile. "Yes." he admitted. "Some things."

Sunmi leaned closer, interested. "What exactly?" she asked curiously. "If you don't mind me asking."

"Well..." the ahjusshi grinned. "Actually-"

"What the could he have come across?" the Devil spat from his end of the room. "I think you've asked enough questions, pig. Just get it over and done with. What could he have come across that's valuable. Some potty that the past emperor used or something?" he snickered.

Sunmi shot a death glare at him. "Could you please be polite and respectful? We're still conducting the interview."

"Count me out." the Devil rolled his eyes. "I'm not interested at all. You can finish the project yourself because honestly, I'm Oh Sehun and I have better things to do."

He stalked out of the shop as if he owned the world and Sunmi clenched her fists, trembling in anger. Oh the nerve of that guy! How dare he!!!

Sunmi took a deep breath and closed her eyes to calm herself before turning back to the ahjusshi. "Sorry about my partner. He has a mental age of a three year old." she forced a smile. "Thank you for agreeing to this impromptu interview."

"It's really no problem." the ahjusshi assured. He seemed to hesitate for a bit before turning around. "Wait a minute and I'll show you one of the most interesting things I've come across since I started this shop."

He searched in the cupboard for a bit and pulled out a mirror. It was delicately designed and had a long stem to be held, carved with pretty designs at the edge. "This." he handed the mirror to Sunmi. "This is one of my most precious findings."

Sunmi took the mirror carefully and eyed it. She blinked and frowned. What? It was just a mirror.

"You can keep it." The Ahjusshi offered, smiling. "I think you'll need it more than I do, seeing how you have a partner like that. Use it wisely though, you only can use it once."

Sunmi thanked the ahjusshi but secretly suspected that she just conducted the interview with someone whose mental age was even lower than the Devil.

Like what the hell? You could only use the mirror once?

But still, she kept the mirror and bowed as she left the shop. At least the design was pretty, right?