House Guest

Lucifer's Butterfly

She turned the corner while carrying her laundry, and a shadow cast itself over the basket from Taemin standing all the way at the end of the hall in front of a large window. Luna's ears perked up and she loped towards the boy. A moment later, the girl knew something was off. The dark shape that she at first mistook for Taemin was a little different, and then the form's head moved and the light caught dark hair instead of Taemin's brown locks.

Her eyes widened and she took a step backwards. Who was that? Last time a stranger was in the house, she was almost killed. Fear stopped her breath, and immediately she spun on her heel, turned the corner, set down the basket, and sprinted away as quietly as she could manage. She made it down a whole hallway before she was caught by the shoulders.

"Who do we have here?" uttered the stranger in front of her. Up close, she could tell why she mistook him for the youngest SHINee member. He was about Taemin's height and even his face resembled the maknae. Although he looked boyish, his grip was far from that of the young teenager he wore the face of. "A human hmm?" His eyes narrowed. "Hey...," the black-haired stranger started, "I know you-"

But before he could question her further, glass broke as he flew out the window, landing like a rock outside on the hard ground with Taemin on top of him.

The girl couldn't help a short scream escaping as the glass scattered. She backed into the wall behind her and slid down while covering her face to protect it from any debris.

"God. You didn't have to push me out the window Taemin," the newcomer said as he picked little pieces of glass out of his dark red sweater.

"You would have eaten her," Taemin deadpanned. "And you!" He glared at the wolf that was being petted by the black-haired boy. "What were you doing? You were supposed to be protecting her." Luna looked ashamed and whined.

"Aww...," the obvious aquaintance of Taemin's coddled the wolf. "Don't yell at Luna. She was just happy to see me."

Taemin sighed before slowly turning towards the extremely tense girl who stood next to the door, ready to bolt.

"Sorry about that. I think intros are in order right?" Taemin stood up and gestured towards the other guy. "This is distant cousin, Kim Jongin."

"Pleased to meet you," Jongin stood and bowed but held a grin on his face that she didn't like.

Taemin noticed and shoved him a little. "Stop being a creeper man."

"I'm a creeper?" His cousin shoved back playfully. "Look at you. Keeping a human around in secret. So what she for huh? Emergency food? Naughty fantasies?"

Taemin blushed and pushed his cousin down into the chair. "Shut up! Don't scare her."

"He's not exactly wrong...," mumbled the girl, and the two males looked up to see that she had migrated to be halfway out of the room while hugging the doorframe.

"Hmm?" Jongin looked at Taemin with expectations of an explanation.

"Okay so...I met her a while back during MV shooting and was about to kill her because she smelled really good, but then she was really nice. And smart. And pretty. And loves animals. And then we became friends, but I got kind of obsessed. And she got hurt. And I got obsessive. And all the other members like her too. And she doesn't know it, but a lot of guys actually look at her, and we get jealous. And so we kind of...kidnapped her. And she's scared of us now and hates our guts. But we're teaching her about the supernatural world right now so that she isn't super vulnerable anymore. And Luna's supposed to protect her, but obviously she's slacking off right now. And please don't tell umma," Taemin rambled on in almost one breath.

"Wow...so...you wanted to kill her. Then you fell for her." Jongin looked at the girl with new curiosity in his deep brown eyes. He gave a sniff. "She does smell good...and she isn't half bad looking."

Taemin growled and his cousin smirked. "Man, you do worry. Or is that jealousy I smell?"

Jongin stood up and sauntered up to the girl, who backed up into the wall across the hall. Before she knew it, he caught her hand in his and kissed the back of it. "Pleased to meet you. Ow!" Both demons were surprised when her hand came up to smack the side of Jongin's head. The girl stood wide-eyed and stared at her own hand that acted on its own. Taemin, who was about to go tackle his cousin again, was shocked into standing still.

"Umm....sorry." She managed to say. Jongin chuckled then and turned around, still holding her hand. "You found an interesting one Taemin."

Taemin noticed his cousin still holding her hand and growled louder.

"Letting go." Jongin said as the girl tugged her hand away. The newcomer raised both his hands up as a sign of peace. Jongin moved a more comfortable distance away from her. "Acting like some possessive wolf. Hmm....maybe this might make a good song one day. Bad boy wolf falling for a beautiful girl."

The animal demon relaxed. "I'm sure the bad boy going for the innocent girl routine has been done. It's called Beauty and the Beast."

"Twist! Make it like a real wolf demon and add in some cool CGI wolf-man transformations. Wonder what the choreography would look like though," pondered the cousin. "Oh. By the way, obviously you don't remember me, but did you know we've met before?" He asked the human.

Her brows furrowed and she stared hard at him. "Oh! You were in Dong Bang Shin Ki's "HaHaHa" music video!" She realized. "I worked on that set."

"Yep. I was wondering where I smelled that beautiful smell before," Jongin said. At Taemin's growl, he rolled his eyes, "Stop growling at me. You'll hurt your throat. Oh! Idea! Follow up song to that wolf love one! It'll be just about the wolf guy growling at everyone who comes near the girl." It was obviously a joke to rile Taemin up, but the growling SHINee member took a deep breath and stopped his silliness.

"Why are you here Jongin?" Taemin sighed.

"Dude. Is that how you treat your favorite cousin? All I wanted to do was say hi and tell you the good news. I'm being put into a group! I don't know what it'll be called yet, but I hear it's going to have a lot of members."

"That's great!" Taemin hugged the other demon. "Who else is in the group?"

"Don't know yet but I hear it's going to be a mix of Chinese and Korean trainees. Listen to my stage name: Kai."

"That sounds nothing like Jongin," commented his proud cousin.

"Yeah, but it sounds cool."

The longer she stood and watched them joke around with each other and interact, the more differences she could see between them. Taemin, although just a bit older, had a slightly more slender build and higher voice. She thought back to seeing Jongin the year before and remembered his passionate dancing. The two cousins shared that talent. Back then, Jongin was quiet, modest and cute. It was probably because he was in the presence of so many staff and sunbaes though.

"You two really are related?" It was supposed to come out a statement but it ended up being a question.

"Yep. Distant cousins on my mother's side. We're pretty good friends," explained Taemin. "But I'm on a whole different level than him."

"Yeah yeah. Don't let it get to your head just because you're my sunbae now."

"...I would have never suspected you were a demon...," she mumbled.

"That's the goal." Both Taemin and Jongin agreed.

"I wonder how many demons I've actually met then." How many times had she been within arms reach of a demon that could kill her if she just breathed wrong?

Jongin felt sympathetic. "You shouldn't worry too much about it. Or at least not show your worry. The chaos demons would be all over you. You know about chaos demons?"

"Yeah, she knows about them." Taemin answered for her.

"If it makes you feel better, I'm the only SM trainee who's a demon as far as I know." Jongin attempted but probably failed at cheering her up. "And you know, we're not all always bad. Well, we're bad, but we don't always act bad. Like you said, you never would have dreamed of me being a demon when you first saw me right? And you didn't know Taemin was one but you two became friends."

She was silent.

Jongin added, "Oh. And I guess it'd be interesting to know now too. You were in the presence of some pretty powerful supernatural beings while you were working on that HaHaHa set too."

"Oh goodness...don't tell me. Dong Bang Shin Ki really are gods," she half-joked nervously.

"Well....," Taemin started.

"Oh my god...." Her eyes widened.

"They're not gods, but they're pretty impressive people and mind as well be," Jongin said respectfully.

"My world has been a lie longer than I had believed." The human looked up at the ceiling for help.

"Noona?" Taemin hovered close to her (but not too close). "You okay?"

Jongin sat casually in the loveseat, one leg propped on his other knee while Luna lay her head on his lap. He smiled at his cousin's antics around the silly human girl. 'It'd probably be twice as amusing if she wasn't so cautious around you, Taeminnie.'

-----

Down the hall, Kibum appeared through a mirror and shivered. 'Why is it so drafty?' "WHAT HAPPENED TO MY WINDOW?!"


THEA's Corner

When I first saw Kai, I seriously thought he was Taemin. is it just me?
I'm not knowledgable about EXO nor Kai so I'm afraid that I couldn't convey his personality accurately. So sorry to all EXO fans if Kai is a completely different person! I'm probably not going to write him in anymore after this anyway.

This is unedited so excuse any mistakes for now.

Posted: 08 Oct 2013