Otousan or Oniisan?

Memoirs of a Vampire

 Chapter 4 – Otousan or Oniisan?

When I woke up I found myself in an unknown place. Still lying on the bed, I observed the room and found no one in sight. As I slowly got up from the bed my feet searched for my shoes on the floor. I bent down and looked under the bed but it wasn't there. Where could it be? I got up from the floor and I walked around the room still searching for my shoes. I then made my way outside the room and into another room. On one side of the room there was a brown leather sofa and a small TV in front of it. On the other side there  was a small kitchen with a tiny kitchen island separating the two sections of the room. The place was filthy. There were cans of beers and clothes everywhere --- on the floor, on the couch, and in the sink --- making it difficult to walk around. I could also spot piles of dusts on the crevices and corners of the room. What kind of animal lives here?

Suddenly I felt someone’s presence in the room; well more like I could smell their blood. But it didn’t smell like any ordinary human blood. I turned around but I found no one there. I could feel them getting closer. I turned around again when I heard a creaking sound of the floor boards behind me. But no one was there. I felt someone breathing at my neck. When I turned back around he was standing right in front of me, his face was two inches away from mine. He was breathing lightly on my face. “Who are you?” I asked him. Still standing in front of my face he answered, “Your savior.”

Savior? I thought. And then a flashback from yesterday rushed back into my mind. I was lying on the cold wet sidewalk feeling so weak and dizzy. With my eyes half open, a pair of shoes suddenly appeared in front of me. A pair of boots to be exact. Then after that everything went black. I glanced down at his feet and I saw him wearing the same black tactical boots. So he really was the one who saved me. My thoughts were suddenly interrupted when he spoke. “You don’t look like any ordinary human.” He pointed out. I raised an eyebrow at his remark. “Well you don’t seem like a human either.” I retorted back at him. He laughed and he slowly walked around making his way behind me. He sniffed the back of my neck and said in a confident tone, “You're a vampire aren’t you?” I pursed my lips and turned around to face him. “And you’re a vampire too aren't you” I retorted back.

He stared at me and a grin slowly formed on his face. “D’ name’s Eunhyuk,” he said holding out his hand for a hand shake. “Jaejoong” I introduced myself as I shook his hand lightly. After he broke our hand shake he walked towards the kitchen and took out two small blood bags from a small refrigerator. I glanced at the blood bags and from the looks of it, it looks like he stole it from a clinic. He threw one of the bags at me and I caught it with my hands. He kept the other one. “Drink it, or else you’ll faint again.” He warned me. I watched him smoothly tore open the bag with his teeth  and he roughly in its content. I glanced down at the bag he gave me and I tried to tear open the bag with my teeth but it wouldn't rip open. When I looked back up at him his bag was almost finished. When he drank the last drop of blood he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and then he it. This guy has probably been living here for a long time. I thought.  

“Ne," I heard him say. I woke up from my daze and I looked up at him. "I have to go now. Leave once you finish ok? My girl will freak out if she saw you in here.” He told me. I nodded at him. He walked towards the window and  was surprised when he jumped out. I ran towards the window and looked down. To my surprise his apartment was located about thirty stories above the ground. I searched around below, but he was nowhere in sight. I wonder where he ran off to.

======================

After I finished drinking the blood bag he gave me, I began wondering around the streets of Tokyo. While I was walking around I caught a few people staring and whispering about me. I overhead one of them wondering why I was so pale. I glared at them and they ran off. For the rest of the day I just continued walking. I’ve probably been through every streets and corners of Tokyo.

I looked up at the sky and I noticed that it was getting dark. I walked another block before I decided to climb up an apartment building to rest. I laid on the roof top of the building and slept. When I woke up it was completely dark. The only thing I can see are little dot’s of lights plastered on the sky. I squinted my eyes to get a better look of what it was. Are they balls of fire? I wondered. I was reaching out my hand towards the sky as if trying to grab one of those dots when suddenly I heard a loud scream nearby.

[End of Flashback]

“That’s when I met her mother, Maki’s mother." I explained to my father. "I carried her all the way to the hospital. I was also there when she was delivering the baby. I thought it was very peculiar, but at the same time very interesting.” I told him. A slight smile formed on my face as I recalled the memories from that day. I look like a little kid smiling by myself.

“I guess you had quite an experience there, huh?” I nodded at him. After our conversation I excused myself and made my way out into the corridor. I leaned on the wall and sighed.

I can’t believe my father was actually worried about me. Well no matter what, he's still my father after all. Just like how I was sort of like a father to her and like an older brother too.

[Flashback]

After they took the baby away and transferred the woman into another room, I made my way out of the hospital. I headed towards the infamous Tokyo Tower. I climbed to the tipped of the tower and sat on the ledge stunned at what I had just experienced. As I recalled the previous events that had occurred I felt a weird sort of feeling inside my stomach. I could feel butterflies inside my stomach. I had a huge wide smile plastered on my face. Am I a father? I wondered. I did say I was her husband, so I am her father! I laughed at that thought. Wait, I’m not her father. My smile suddenly faded away. Well, technically I’m not her biological father but I was there so I guess that counts right? After I had justified my thoughts, my smile came back.

I know it was silly for me to think that I was her father, but at that time, I just couldn’t help myself. I was that close to thinking I actually had a child and besides at that time I was still unaware with the human customs. So from that day onwards, I vowed to watch over her and to protect her as my child, as my daughter.

  • February 17, 1989, that’s when Maki first crawled. I watched everything from a tree in their front yard. No one seemed to have noticed me. It was 12 in the afternoon when I saw her first attempt. Her mother was lying on the couch half asleep while her older brother was on the carpet next to her watching TV. She was lying on her belly staring outside the window. For a split second she and I made an eye contact. My eyes widened with delight. Her gaze then shifted towards the TV. I watched as she slowly got on her knees. She extended her right arm, then her left. Her right leg followed right after, then her other leg. His brother didn’t notice anything until she reached the TV set. When he saw her in front of the TV he began yelling and pointing at her. Her mom woke up and was surprised to see her crawling on the ground by herself. She crawled around the living room while her older brother assisted her from behind. Her mother was as delighted as I was when we saw her crawl for the first time. When all of these things were occurring I suddenly wondered where her husband was. Ever since Maki was born I never once saw him. I wonder where he was.
  • April 25, 1989, that’s when Maki said her first word, ‘Pi.’ She was sitting on her bottom her back leaning on the couch while her brother was just a feet away from her watching TV.  His mom yelled out his name from inside the kitchen. When she heard her mother call her brother’s name, she tried mimicking the sound of ‘P.’ At first her brother thought she was just fooling around, but he was shock when she blurted out his name, “Pi.” At first I didn’t know what it meant, but later on I found out that that was her brother’s nickname. His real name was Yamapi, but their mother had always calling him Pi so it was only natural that she’d say that name first.
  • July 1, 1989, that’s when Maki began to walk. At first she tried standing up by herself but she always ended up on her bottom. But those falls didn’t stop her from trying again. So she tried standing up again. Using the couch she slowly stood up from the ground. After she had balanced herself, she slowly let go of the couch. Then she extended one of her legs, making her first step. Then she made another step. And then another one and another one. She made her way all the way to the other side of the room. No one was around when she made her first step, so I guess I was the first one to witness it. Her brother was asleep and her mother was at the kitchen washing dishes. The two of them found out about it the next day when she repeated the same stunt.

Although I was glad to be able to watch her progression every day I felt lonely. There were many things I wanted to do but couldn’t. I envied her mother. Unlike me, she could sleep together with her and watch her fall asleep. Unlike me she could play with her every day, and unlike me she could cradle her tightly in her arms. I could only watch everything from the sidelines. I felt so distanced from her.

======================

Four Years later…..

She had only started kindergarten a few months ago and she’s already the star in her class. Her intelligence was evident from her outstanding performance in school. She’s always kind to everyone and she’s very outgoing. She’s always chatting and playing happily with her friends at lunch. She also loves participating in everything. I was proud of her. In no time, she had made it all the way to first grade.

One day I was watching her walk home from school. I watched as her teacher help them get on the bus. When it was Maki’s stop, she got off the bus and waved goodbye to all her friends. Her mother was supposed to pick her up from school, but she wasn’t there. Maki searched for her, but she couldn’t find her either. So she decided to start walking towards the direction of her house. Since she and her mother walked everyday from the bus stop to their house, she already knew where she needs to turn to get to her house. I watched her excitedly walk and skip around the sidewalk as she headed towards her home. Suddenly I felt some weird presence close by. I turned around and I saw a man wearing a long dark coat and a black cap hiding behind a tree.

What’s up with this guy? I thought.

I watched closely as he made his way towards her. He called out to her and he began asking her random questions; about the weather, cartoons, and her school. A minute later, he took out a lollipop. When she wouldn’t accept the candy, he grabbed her hand and pulled her over his shoulder. Is this guy for real?!?! I thought.

I jumped down from the tree and I hastily walked towards him. I tapped him on the shoulder. When he turned around I punched him as hard as I could on his face. I sent him flying to the ground. He let go of Maki and he clutched his bleeding nose as he rolled on the ground in pain. He gathered himself up from the ground and began scurrying away.

YEAH! KEEP RUNNING YOU CRAZY CHIKAN (ert)!!! I shouted inside my mind.

I was brought back to reality when I heard Maki sniffling. I turned around and found her sitting on the corner crying quietly. I made my way towards her. She looked up when she noticed my presence. “Are you ok?” I asked her softly. She gave me a slight nod while she wiped her tears with the back of her hands. I was going to comfort her by caressing her hair, but she ducked her head away from my hand. “It’s ok,” I reassured her. “I won’t hurt you.” She looked up at me and said between her sniffles, “Arigatou oniisan.” I patted her on the head and she smiled at me sweetly.

That was the first time I ever talked to her. I wanted her to call me ‘otousan’ and not ‘oniisan,’ but I guess being her oniisan isn’t that bad either. I decided to walk her all the way home to make sure that crazy chikan doesn’t come back for her. Because I’d totally beat the crap out of him if he ever goes near her again. After all, I am her oniisan!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hi guys! Thank you for your comments ^^ This is a pretty long chapter. I was going to divide into two chapters but i changed my mind. Anyway, next chapter will be when Maki is finally in high school. That's basically the start of their romance. :)

So pls stay tune for chapter 5!!! =D Leave comments please! 

Chapter 5: High school

(8/22/09) edited (2/6/10)