Heartlines

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The following week was occasionally soppy. My grandma went a little berserk when the weather man on the television announced that the city will be experiencing scattered rain showers on the afternoons and early evenings throughout the week. However, this weather news didn’t stop her from throwing never ending tea parties and brunches, and it also didn’t stop her friends to come by our house.

Luckily, I was busy myself the entire week. I worked on readjusting Jongin’s costumes and shortly after that, we had already started filming. Eun Hye had long prepared our location, her stepfather’s old studio unit, just a few blocks away from the café. The unit was quite spacious with three rooms. I helped designing and decorating the set accordingly along with our classmate who’s from the drama club.

During the first day of our filming, though, Jongin seemed to be having some trouble remembering his lines. I thought maybe because it’s been awhile since he’d done some acting. Before we left the studio, Eun Hye gave Jongin a day to study and remember his lines on the particular scene.

Back at work, I offered Jongin help some help, like running lines with him. Initially, he didn’t want to admit he needed help, but he caved in almost immediately.

I usually work on the studio when I’m not working at the shop. While I was helping my classmate in decorating and preparing the set for our next filming, someone tapped me by the shoulder. It was Jongin, he held up the rolled script in his hand. I told him to wait for me until I finished what I’m doing. Jongin merely nodded and went to the other room where the actors usually change costumes.

After nearly an hour, I half expected Jongin to get impatient and possibly walk out of the studio because it took me longer to finish than I had intended. But when I went to the other room, Jongin was sitting leisurely by the small couch, reading some book. He lifted his eyes from the book and asked me if I’m done, we started to get to work, then.

We stayed in the studio for another hour and I was glad to see him taking his role sincerely, because I honestly didn’t think he would. Maybe a little, but seeing how he wanted to dissect his character in order for him to portray him as accurately as possible, Jongin really was indeed serious. And I was left impressed.

“So you want to become a fortune-teller?” I heard Jongin asked.

We just finished and I was packing up my things in the table. A little bemused with his question, I looked up at him and I felt my cheeks flared up at once when I saw him holding up one of my books with a cheeky grin.

“Give me that!” I squeaked at him when I tried to snatch the book from his grip. He stood up from his seat and extended his already long arms upwards, the impish grin stuck on his face. “Give it back, Jongin!” I cried mulishly and try to jump up and down, still trying to get it from his hand. It was puny really, Jongin’s tremendously taller than I am.

“Only if you read my future.” Jongin teased, clearly amused.

Annoyed, I grabbed the side of his shirt as I attempt to jump up again. However, I yanked his shirt too tight that when I jumped, we both heard a ripping sound. Jongin stopped chuckling and stared down at his shirt with a slightly huge slash just beneath his arm pit.

“Oh my God!” I gasped and then I bit my bottom lip to stifle a laugh. Jongin didn’t notice me laughing silently, though. He was inspecting his wrecked shirt and I took that chance to snatch the book from his hand.

“You ripped my shirt.” Jongin noted, finally looking at me. I couldn’t make out his expression, though. But I think he’s surprised.

“I’m sorry for not feeling sorry.” I grinned at him and tucked my book in my arm. I turned my back on him and giggle silently when I went to my bag.

“I just bought this shirt.” Jongin said, he followed me towards the table.

“Well, you should stop buying from that shop, then.” I said while stuffing the book inside my bag. “Because apparently, the fabric they’re using aren’t very good.” I pointed at his shirt.

Jongin glanced down at his shirt and then back at me again. “Or maybe you’re a guy.” he said jokingly. I merely smiled and shook my head.

He kept on teasing me about the book and about being a man underneath my girly façade while we locked the studio and as we make our way to the bus stop.

“Why can’t you read my future?” he asked for the fifth time that night while we’re heading to the bus stop. He had his arm extended towards me with his palm up.

I looked at him, he was beaming impishly. “There’s no ‘future reading’, okay?” I pressed on.

“That was a palmistry book.” he pointed at my backpack. “I’ve been skimming it while waiting for you this afternoon.”

“You went through my things?”

“That book was on top of the table when I saw it.” Jongin retorted. Then, he started to ramble about the things he thinks I’ve already ‘predicted’ or the things I wanted to know in the future such as if I’ll graduate in high school or if I’ll pass the university or if I already foresaw that he’s going to be our male lead.

“Sure. I had predicted as well that you’re going to be so annoying.” I told him with a sarcastic smile but he ignored me and carried on.

“And I bet you also wanted to know when you’re going to meet your boyfriend, or what he looks like—”

“I already know what he looks like.” I interrupted him quietly.

“What?”

I looked at him sideways. “I said I already know what he looks like.”

Jongin looked at me for a brief moment. “Oh, you’re seeing someone.” he said after shifting his gaze back on the street.

“Yeah.” I answered even though it didn’t really sounded like a question. And I have no idea why I suddenly feel queasy. I had feeling he felt the same way because he fell silent himself.

“So,” he started rather uneasily, “Does he go to your school?”

I frowned at him. “I thought I mentioned that I attend an all-girls’ school before?”

“Oh, right! I forgot.” Jongin said, smiling to himself as he stuff his hands into his jeans pocket.

“He’s out of town for a couple of days.” I said succinctly and Jongin merely nodded his head.

The bus arrived and we both climbed in. “So, he doesn’t mind you’re a guy?” he said to me impishly after we settled on our seat. I narrowed my eyes at him playfully and turned to the window to hide my smile.

The next day, we continued to shoot the film after our shift at work. Eun Hye seemed to be much more enthusiastic and impressed not only with Jongin but with our entire crew. Jongin suggested that we continue to work together with his lines. I agreed with him seeing it could benefit our film production.

“Where are you going?” Jongin asked me naively at work during lunchtime. I was making my way to where the employees regularly eat, when Jongin tapped me lightly on the shoulder. “I thought you’re going to help me with my lines?” he said.

“I am.” I affirmed. “I just thought maybe we could eat lunch first.” I held up my packed lunch at him.

“Fine, then let’s eat lunch.” he said, grabbing my free hand and gently pulling me along with him as we walked down the small and narrow hallway, heading to the back porch of the shop.

I wanted to ask him where exactly we’re going because I usually eat with the other employees during lunch and we’re completely heading the wrong way. We walked past the workshop and the lake and after a few minutes, I realized where we were heading.

Like the other employees at the shop, I used to wonder where Jongin eat his lunch. Now that I thought about it, I felt like an idiot. Of course he’d eat lunch at his own house since it’s practically yards away from the shop. However, we didn’t enter the front door. Jongin lead me to the back of their house and then I followed suit after he climbed a wooden narrow staircase.

“So, this is where you eat your lunch?” I asked him after we reached the landing of the deck roof.

Jongin bobbed his brows with a soft smile on his face, the script tucked on his arm. “Beautiful, isn’t?” he said, glancing around the deck and then up in the clear blue sky.

“It is.” I agreed genuinely. I squinted at the “It’s going to rain a little later, though.” I reminded him.

Jongin pointed his index finger over my shou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter