Things We Lost In Fire

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

So far, I managed to stick to what I promised Jae Hoon. I didn’t allow myself to go anywhere near the café or the shop. Basically, anywhere I know Jongin might be hanging out or can be seen. I hung out with Jae Hoon almost every moment I’m free. Everything seemed to be normal again between us. Jae Hoon appeared to be happy and contented once more. And I told myself I should feel the same.

What more can I ask for? Jae Hoon’s a sweet and caring boyfriend, and not mention handsome and smart. Any girl would kill for a guy like him. I looked over at him as he speak with his parents’ friends across the partly crowded room, discussing his acceptance in medical school. I watched him and reminded myself how much I adore his perfect smile and the way he would look at me. Just like this moment. He caught my gaze and gave me a gentle smile. I watched him as he excused himself to their guests and made his way towards me.

“Hey,” he said, lacing his fingers with my free hand (the other one was holding a punch). I felt the ring he gave me when we celebrated our first year anniversary last week pressed up in my finger as he did. “You having fun?”

“Yeah,” I said, giving him a smile. It’s Jae Hoon’s grandfather’s 84th birthday celebration tonight. Being friends with his family for a long time now, we were invited. “Thank you for inviting my family tonight.” I added, glancing over to my mother who’s talking graciously to other guests.

“Of course your family’s invited.” Jae Hoon stated as if he it was natural for him to do that. “My grandparents are very excited to finally meet you. I can’t shut my mouth about—”

He didn’t finished his words because his father just called his attention and beckoned him over. Perhaps to meet more of his colleagues. I looked at Jae Hoon and tell him with my eyes he should go. Before leaving my side, he whispered to me it’ll be the last guest he’ll be meeting then we’ll spend the rest of the party together.

After he left, mother and her new found friends approached me. Being herself, mother proudly told them I’m dating Jae Hoon. The two women crooned about lovely we look together. I merely forced a smile and restrained myself from scurrying away from them, besides, mother shot me a look to stay by her side and so I did.

I nodded and made agreeing noises in appropriate times. However, most of the time, I wasn’t really listening to them talk. I busied myself with my punch but then one of the women mentioned a name I never thought I’d hear in this event, let alone this house.

“That old woman has her own world,” one of the woman with a French twist hairstyle stated after taking a quick sip on her champagne.

“I agree.” the other woman with a weird eyebrow voiced out. “But I have to admit, her antique shop is very successful despite the stories. Her items are very good!”

They were talking about Jongin’s grandmother, I realized. She’s the only one near this town who owns an antique shop.

“But it’s sad that one of her granddaughters died at such a young age.” the woman with a French twist hairstyle commented once again, with scarce amount of sympathy in her voice.

“Her granddaughter died?” my mother echoed, apparently shocked.

The two women nodded their heads vigorously. “Terrible car accident last year.” the Weird Eye-browed woman leaned forward and whispered, “I heard it’s because of her grandson.”

“They said he’s quite rebellious and hostile.” French twist woman supplied with a dismayed look.

“I also heard he’s supposed to be in college now.” Weird Eye-browed woman added. “Instead, he wanders at night hanging out with his hoodlum associates.”, shaking her head in disapproval while I ridiculously rolled my eyes.

Starting to get a little frustrated, I shifted on where I’m standing and focused on my drink instead, hoping it’ll distract me from hearing their irritating little voices.

“I’ve seen him at the market with his grandmother once,” added the Weird Eye-browed woman again and I glowered at her. “I acknowledged him but he did not even addressed me! How disrespectful for a handsome young man like him!” the French twist woman nodded her head in agreement.

This time, I caught my mother’s gaze. She never had a chance to meet Jongin, but I’m positive she knows I’m acquainted with this defiant young man her friends are currently gossiping about. The look on her eyes says I’m not allowed to be friends with the guy anymore. Well, fortunately for you, mother, I’m no longer acquainted with him. In fact, I haven’t talked or seen Jongin for nearly a month now.

The two women kept going on and on about how Jongin is such a bad influence and I’m starting to get a stomach ache. I excused myself as politely as I could, pretending I didn’t see my mother’s silent protest, and make my way to the bathroom. Someone was inside, though, so I waited by the door. After a few moments, the door finally opened and I was surprised to see Jae Hoon’s mother.

I greeted her politely and she complimented how lovely I looked and I did the same thing. Jae Hoon’s mother is a very pleasant and affable woman, I have nothing but respect for her. In truth, I feel more comfortable with her than with his father, who seemed serious all the time. We had a chit chat for a moment, she asked me how I’ve been doing and about how proud she was that I’m getting into the same medical school as her son—

“I’m sorry,” I said bemusedly, “I didn’t catch that. I’m going to medical school?”

“Yes, dear.” Jae Hoon’s mother nodded happily.“Jae Hoon told me himself. He’s very proud of you and of course, me as well! That’s a very wond—”

“Mrs. Choi,” I interrupted her. I could not believe what I was hearing. “I’m so sorry but there’s been a misunderstanding.” Jae Hoon’s mother blinked at me. “I’m not going to medical school. At least not anymore.”

“Oh,” Jae Hoon’s mother put her hand over her chest and looked a little baffled. “That’s strange. Why did Jae Hoon told me you were?”

I asked that question to myself too. “I’m not sure, Mrs. Choi.” I said to her. “But your son knows I’m not attending medical school anymore. I told him about it months ago.”

Jae Hoon’s mother sighed deeply. She asked me what school I’m planning to attend to and I told her I was accepted in an art school. The disappointment in expression was not hard to miss. She gave me a smile, despite a reserved one, and told me she’ll talk to Jae Hoon about it.

The moment she left, I was already seething. I went around the hall, looking for Jae Hoon. I need to k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter