Three's A Crowd

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“What do you think Jongin’s favorite food?”

“What do you think Jongin’s favorite movie?”

“Do you think Jongin likes girls with short or long hair?”

Eun Hye had been asking me these questions over and over again since after my birthday party. She couldn’t stop talking about him and my ears were ringing with Jongin’s name. It’s not like I know everything about him. Eun Hye insisted I should know a little since we worked together. I insisted it was only for two months.

The other night, when Da Hee and I went for another sleep over at her house, Eun Hye had those videos of Jongin’s performances at his old high school.

“I borrowed it from Kyungsoo’s bedroom.” Eun Hye giggled. By the way she giggled, I concluded Kyungsoo had no idea about her borrowing it.

We spent the entire night of our sleep over watching videos of Jongin dancing. He was, as always, completely entrancing in all of his performances. Eun Hye also shared with us about some things she found out about Jongin, some things they talked about for a couple of minutes (“but it felt like we talked for hours!”, she blushed) during my birthday party.

I found this a bit strange for Eun Hye, though. I know she likes Jongin, but I’ve known her for years and she hadn’t really act like this before. She’s usually calm whenever she likes someone, subtle about her feelings. Not like a frenzy fangirl of some sort. But she looked extremely happy. I want her to be happy. I haven’t seen her smile or laugh like that ever since her ex-boyfriend dumped her.

So why do you feel like a crap whenever she talks that way about Jongin? a voice in my head echoed mockingly. I drowned out the voice with my thoughts. Other thoughts than Jongin.

For the past few days, I figured out that it’s no use denying that I’m, in fact, quite attracted to Jongin. Which could happen to anyone, even to those who are in relationship. I’d like to compare it to my attraction to my English teacher last year, who’s very smart and nice, and now my attraction to him was next to nothing.

“That’s it.” I murmured to myself while slinging my backpack over my shoulder after school, “It’s just a petty little non-sense crush which will eventually go away.” I said to myself almost convincingly.

I kept convincing myself with those words. That it was completely harmless and normal. Until I met Eun Hye later after school and she asked me for a favor.

“Could you ask Jongin to go on a group date?” Eun Hye said.

“Group date?” I echoed, surprised, “With who?”

“With me,” Eun Hye grinned, “And you and Jae Hoon.”

I watched her face and registered her serious expression. “Oh.” I squeaked.

“Don’t worry,” Eun Hye nudged me lightly on the side, smiling. “I asked Kyungsoo if Jongin’s seeing anyone, and he said he’s single.” she winked at me.

“Good for you.” I said, chuckling awkwardly. “Err, I don’t know if Jongin’s into group date, though.”

“That’s why I’m asking for your help.” Eun Hye said, “You talk to him a lot and he seemed to be quite comfortable with you. Could you ask him to go with us?”

I swallowed. “I’m not sure…”

“Please, Su Ji?” Eun Hye implored, “Or don’t tell him it’s a group date, just tell him we’re all hanging out as friends.”

“But there’s only four of us,” I reasoned out, “He’ll figure it out.”

“I’ll have Chanyeol and Da Hee there as well. I’ve had it all planned!” Eun Hye squeaked eagerly, “Tell Jongin it’s like the usual hang out of our crew.”

“You want me to lie to him, then?”

“No, of course not! I just—” Eun Hye groaned. Something told me I wasn’t exactly being a supportive friend to her right now. “I mean, Jongin doesn’t know that I like him. Yet. When he gets there, he’ll slowly realize it’s actually a group date, he’ll pick up some hints. I was thinking of confessing to him on that day.”

Confess.

The lone word rang inside my head for a moment. I cleared my throat, regaining my stance.

“Uhm, okay, great.” I said, pulling a smile, “That sounds like a good plan. I’ll, uh, go and ask Jongin and see what I can do.”

Eun Hye’s face cracked into a smile and pulled me into a hug. “Thank you!”

At that precise moment, Jae Hoon appeared beside us and asked about our conversation. Eun Hye told him about Jongin and the group date she was planning. Jae Hoon glanced at me as if to see my reaction, and then back to Eun Hye. He agreed to join the group date and told Eun Hye good luck.

“I think they look good together,” Jae Hoon said to me while we’re walking home.

“Huh?”

“I said I think Jongin and Eun Hye look good together,” Jae Hoon repeated, watching my face. “Do you think they look good together?”

“Y-yeah.” I stammered and forced a smile because I felt instantly stupid for stammering. In front of Jae Hoon himself. “They look really cute I think” I added more clearly, although a part of me wants to swallow back the words. Why am I acting this way?!?

Jae Hoon watched me for a few more moments, his eyes reading mine, and then he directed his gaze straight ahead. “I think this group date’s a good idea.”

“I think so too.” I said automatically.

I saw Jongin on a Tuesday after school, to work on the shed. He was still on the clock so he left me alone, but I told him he didn’t need to stay with me on the shed. But then again, Jongin is Jongin. After half an hour, the door of the shed opened and Jongin came inside with a grin on his face, complimenting the wall I was painting on. I narrowed my eyes on him lightheartedly because I was merely starting to outline the wall. He laughed out loud, then.

For the first few minutes, he sat on the chair watching me work. He started asking me about what I’m planning to finish then. I told him his grandma reminds me of a pop-up book. A very lively and colorful pop-up book filled with different adventures. Jongin smiled slowly, as if imagining it inside his head and then he nodded in agreement.

Later on, he walked towards me and insisted to help even though there’s no need of his help. I looked at him and his eyes looking like a five year old boy asking for sweets. I sighed and asked him to just hold the ladder while I climb it up and reach the top part of the wall while I paint.

I finished after a couple of minutes. Jongin invited afterwards at their roof top to eat some snacks.

“The roof top look more beautiful at this rate of hour.” he said to me, his eyes smiling.

And he was right. The moment I stepped on the roof top, I heard myself catching my breath. I found my feet taking me to the railings of the deck roof, my eyes fixed on stunning view before me. As the sun sets, it splashed a marvelous shade of pink, purple and orange with the clouds spreading out across the darkening sky.

“It is beautiful.” I murmured, still in awe. I turned my head to the side, where I know Jongin was standing beside me, and met his gaze.

On his face was a soft, warm smile, like the setting sun in front of us. He stared at me and I did the same thing. I couldn’t take my eyes off him. The glow of the setting sun hit the side of his face, his nose, his jaw line, and I sighed to myself—he looked wonderfully handsome. I gulped when I felt my heart slowly picking up its pace. “Do you—,” I began.

However, my attempt to start a conversation was cut short when Jongin stepped towards me, his hand reaching forward. My heart stopped when his finger tips gently graze my cheek bone. Then, his eyes flickered to mine, he wasn’t smiling anymore, he had this calm expression in his face and his eyes were locked on mine.

“You have a little paint smudge on your cheek.” he said, his voice low and deep. I felt his thumb softly grazing my cheek bone in the process and then he stepped backward afterwards.

“Oh,” an awkward chuckle came out of my mouth before I could catch myself. “Thanks,” I managed to say without stammering, even though I could still hear my heart buzzing. Thank God the sky was painted in pink, because I knew my face had the same shade.

“What is it you’re going to say awhile ago?” Jongin asked, we were sitting on the under the deck roof, eating our snack which he brought with him awhile ago.

I swallowed what I was chewing and looked at him. “Right, uh,” I began, reaching for my drink and taking a quick sip. I hadn’t thought about how I’m going to ask him about the group date. “Are you free this coming Friday?”

Jongin stopped chewing his own food, his brows arched as he looked at me as though he wasn’t expecting my question. “I have work to work during the day, you know that,” he replied, “Why?”

I shifted on my seat. “I was just think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter