Windows

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Summer vacation officially kicked off. I surprised myself when I came out of our house with a grin on my face. To be honest, I’m not really the type to get too much excited over summer vacation. I usually spend summer by myself, stuck at home, or when I find a decent summer job, I’d spend my entire day in there. My best friend, Eun Hye, usually spend her summer on her father’s and because her parents had an agreement after their divorce, she really couldn’t say no.

This year, though, we’re going to spend summer together and we’re going to have a blast. For months now, we’ve been preparing for the annual short film production in our school. Eun Hye will direct and film it while I will help out on costumes and make-up.

However, on the first day of our summer, we were already greeted by a setback.

Eun Hye and I met up at this newly opened café, owned by her Aunt and Uncle. It’s a comfy café with a vintage impression on it. When you enter the café, a beautiful archway will welcome you and a small stone patio. We met up there to further discuss and furbish our plans before shooting the film. When I arrived that early Wednesday afternoon, the café was a bit crowded. Perhaps because it opened two weeks ago and everyone’s curious about what it offers.

I greeted Kyungsoo, who’s attending the counter. He also happens to be Eun Hye’s cousin. He smiled back at me along with his big, doting eyes. I ordered my usual drink and asked him where his cousin was, he pointed towards one of the alcoves. After a minute or two, he gave me my order, paid him and after exchanging smiles, I set off to my best friend’s spot.

Eun Hye was sitting on a couch, her head bent forward with her phone in her hand. Lying on the table were piles of paper, the scripts, there was also the camera we’ll be using and her leather bound planner.

“We have a problem.” Eun Hye stated as soon as I settled on a vintage arm chair the couch.

“What?” I asked, arching my brows, setting my tote bag down the carpeted floor and my drink a table.

Eun Hye heaved a heavy sigh. “Our male lead just backed out.”

“What?!”

Eun Hye leaned against the backrest with a long face. “He called me just now and backed out. He changed his mind about joining for free and he demanded that he’ll only come back if there’s a compensation involved.”

“What a jerk!” I exclaimed annoyingly. “We’re not going to take him back.” I stated firmly.

“No, we’re not.” Eun Hye agreed. “But how are we going to start filming if we have no male lead who doesn’t ask for any compensation? Do you know anyone?”

I crossed my arms over my chest and pursed my lips as I think of the guy friends I have. So far, two. I have other male acquaintances but most of them are adults. It’s a rather difficult task to make friends with boys when you go to an all-girls’ school. We spent the next hour trying to contact any guy friends we have.

“This is hopeless, Su Ji.” Eun Hye groaned terribly, burying her face into her hands.

“Hey, don’t be like that.” I said, poking her arm with a finger. “We’ll find one. I promise.”

Eun Hye looked at me desperately. “I really hope so. I‘ve already sent our application!”

At that precise moment, someone called out our names. I turned to look across the room and saw one of our decent friends at school approaching our table with a grin on her face.

“Hey, Da Hee.” I greeted, beaming back at her as she sat beside me. “What’s up?”

“Here.” Da Hee said, handing me and Eun Hye two dark pink envelopes.

“Oh, your birthday’s coming up.” I stated, taking the invitation from her hand.

“Yeah.” Da Hee said, nodding. “Also, I just got accepted to a medical school. So, basically, I’m celebrating my birthday and that certain event.”

“Congratulations!” I said genuinely.

Eun Hye managed to pull smile for our friend. “That’s really great, Da Hee.” she said, scrunching her nose after smelling the invitation.

“I’m really, really excited!” Da Hee gushed. “I’d really appreciate it if you two could come to my party. I promise, you guys will have fun! It’s going to be held in this café this coming Saturday night."

I looked up at her and nodded. “Yeah, sure. We’ll be there.”

Da Hee smiled. We talked for a few minutes, mostly about her role for the film because she’s our female lead. Then, she noticed Eun Hye’s long face, so we mentioned to her about what happened to our male lead. We asked her if she knows anyone who could take the part. Da Hee said she’ll contact us if she found one.

“Her invitation’s scented.” Eun Hye noted incredulously when Da Hee left our table.

"Well, it's an Alice in Wonderland themed party." I shrugged.

It was already late in the afternoon when Eun Hye and I decided to leave. We both agreed to continue looking for our male lead tomorrow and possibly hold a mini audition of some sort. I noticed how the café was still jam-packed. A group of boys practically jumped on our table when they saw us leaving.

“Summer just started and life’s already out the fun.” Eun Hye complained to no one in particular a few minutes after we exit the café. “Did you know he’s dating that chick I told him who had her nose done?” she suddenly asked me glumly.

“Wha—are you—” I stared at her with my brows knitted bemusedly. I stopped walking when I realized what she’s saying. Eun Hye halted as well and looked at me dolefully. “Oh, no, Eun Hye. Don’t do this to yourself.”

Eun Hye shrugged miserably. “I know I sound pathetic but I miss him.”

“But he’s not worth it. He cheated on you.” I reminded her. “Three times.” I stressed, but seeing the look on her face, I gave her a quick hug. “Look, you’ll get over him one day and you’ll be with someone much better than him.” I reassured her, linking my arm on hers and we continued to walk.

“Guys are jerk!” Eun Hye declared frustratingly. “Including our male lead! I’ll skin that guy alive when I see him again—from head to toe! Boys…they’re all jerk! We’ll except your guy.” she added hastily, nudging me slightly.

I looked at her sideways to see her grinning playfully. I forced a smile and looked away from her when this vague feeling I've been having recently tugged at my heart in a bothering manner.

“By the way, did you tell your mom yet?” Eun Hye asked.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter