Queen of the Nation

The Kungfu Queen (Bodyguard Princess II)

Meanwhile while Kai was off enjoying his sweet time with Minhee, the Baekbyul couple was making their way to meet the Queen on the impending wedding details.

Byul looked extremely uncomfortable at the prospect and seemed a little shifty. Baekhyun took her hand and squeezed it once for assurance.

"What are you thinking about?" he murmured. "Kai and his confession? Don't worry about him. Even though he's most likely to do it in a stupid way, he'd get the point across somehow."

"I'm not worrying about him." Byul shrugged. "Contrary to common belief, I think that Kai does have a romantic bone in his body. It only appears when Minhee's around so that's sweet and I'm not worried at all." she twisted her lips.

Baekhyun bumped her shoulders as they strolled past a large pond, reaching the bridge. "So? What's that that has gotten my baby girl Eunbyul looking so distracted?" he cooed in a baby voice.

Byul shot him a look and eyed the water below them. "I am absolutely tempted to throw you off this bridge right now. And your parents won't even get mad at me."

Baekhyun sulked. "They're traitors." he muttered. "Fine fine." he stopped walking and eyed her. "So what's that that has gotten you so distracted?"

Byul shifted on the spot and stared down at her feet. Baekhyun moved closer to her and roamed his gaze on her features. "Is it the princess lessons?" he asked in concern. "Are they too tough?"

Byul let out a laugh. "Princess lessons are ALWAYS too tough for someone as un-feminine as me." she grinned. "That has never traumatized me."

"Traumatized." Baekhyun frowned at her use of wording. "So now you're not only distracted, you're traumatized. Now you've GOT to tell me what's bothering you."

"Nothing much." Byul shrugged. "Just my momentary burst of stupidity-"

"Oh I've got to hear that." Baekhyun grinned and Byul shot him a look.

"-that has resulted in some stupid thoughts of mine." Byul sighed softly. "I'm not even sure if it's worth burdening you with it."

"Hey hey hey." Baekhyun pulled her into his arms and hugged her gently while she rested her chin on his shoulder. "Everything of yours is worth burdening me with. No, it's not even a burden, Eunbyul. I know you're independent and all, but it's time you start trusting and depending on your prince charming right here when you need a shoulder to cry on or a listening ear. Because I'll always, always be here for you." he whispered. "Understand?"

Byul smiled and turned away to hide her grin. Baekhyun always knew the right thing to say.

"Yeah." she nodded. "I'll burden you with everything when I need a listening ear, then."

"Good." Baekhyun pulled away from her and beamed. "So tell me what it is and we'll beat up whatever guy that is that's causing your worries, if there's such a person, that is." he joked. "And if you're still troubled, I'll sail you to China and we'll visit the EXO-M boys and being the goofs they are, they'll be sure to restore the pretty smile back on your lips." he pecked her lips once. "Good?"

"Good." Byul laughed in amusement. "But maybe next time. Because your mother is still waiting for us and she called for us a quarter of an hour ago."

"Oh right!" Baekhyun's face immediately fell. "We better go now." he pulled her along quickly. "Mother doesn't like to wait but she doesn't like to reprimand you either, so it's me who's going to get scolded if she's pissed."

He enjoyed the tinkle of laughter that rang beside him from the girl he loved, and smiled to himself. He really wondered what was bothering his girl, but time didn't allow any more digging. Perhaps later.

But at least the smile was back.

 

 

 

"Which date is suitable for your mother, Byul?" The Queen asked, tapping her chin. "We've got so many things to prepare for the wedding! I'm so excited."

Byul and Baekhyun were discussing the wedding details but Baekhyun already lost himself in the topic when the Queen started to talk about what types of cloth to use for the hanbok, what type of decorations, what colour schemes, etc etc. All the girl talk.

And he really doubted Byul understood what the Queen was saying either, even though she nodded dilligently after his mother's every sentence.

"Uhm, it's up to you, your majesty." Byul shrugged. "My mother and brother can make it any time."

"Oh your brother again." Baekhyun made a face. "Jaeho is the biggest brat I've ever seen, I swear." he joked. He had visited Byul's family quite often in the past six months after his relationship with her had been officially revealed to the public.

Even though things weren't settled and confirmed then, he was sure Byul was to be his bride. He wouldn't accept anyone else.

And Jaeho kind of knew it too, but the little brat didn't stop trying to convince Baekhyun that he was never good enough for his sister. Damn that kid.

Although Baekhyun and Jaeho were always quarrelling nad challenging each other to stupid stuff that neither Byul or Mrs Han could imagine about, the two were actually on pretty good terms as opposed to their initial relationship on Baekhyun's first visit. Jaeho actually secretly confessed to Byul that he quite liked this hyung as his sister's husband, but nah, Byul wasn't telling.

"But really Omonim," Baekhyun looked at his mother. "What's the fastest speed that a wedding can be accomplished? I want to marry her as soon as possible." he grinned.

The Queen shook her head in amusement. "That would be two weeks, fastest. Except Byul would have to rush through all the preparations because, well, everyone knows you boys have nothing to do in a wedding while the girls have to do so many other things."

"Meh." Baekhyun made a face.

"Two weeks would be risky though, because we'll have to send invites to the other ministers, kings and princes from the other countries. Dahae's husband, the Indian prince, had already expressed interest in coming for the wedding. He would be bringing his two other prince cousins. And then there'll be the vietnam minister coming, the China princes and princesses, the Dubai Queen, the Egypt general-"

"So many?" Byul swallowed. "I thought it'd be a small affair."

"Oh Byul!" The Queen laughed. "A wedding of the Crown Prince is NEVER a small affair. And besides, it's a great chance for us to strengthen the ties with the mentioned countries. We have to let them come and it's up to you, as the new bride, to forge stronger relationships. You have a really big role, you know."

Byul suddenly felt sick.

"Normally the bride would be expected to perform a dance for the guests as well," the Queen continued. "But I'm sure I can convince Attendant Kim to forgo that one. You can try swordplay instead, although I'm not sure about how the other ministers feel about females touching swords." she tapped her chin.

Byul shifted in her seat, positively turning green.

"Uhm, your majesty," Byul swallowed. "How about we discuss the date of the wedding after Chanyeol is released?"

"Good idea." Baekhyun nodded. "I want Yeol to be involved as well. We should discuss the date after he's released, I'd like that."

The Queen agreed. "Alright, that's a good idea. We'll settle the date after Chanyeol comes out. Why don't we discuss the decor of the wedding then? I'm really interested in that one."

Byul pretended to smile as she nodded. She let out a small sigh and bit her lip.

-----

"Spill." Baekhyun eyed Byul. "Something's bothering you. You haven't told me about it yet."

Byul played with her fingers as the two of them sat on a bench at the garden. Baekhyun gave her a stern look and Byul sighed softly. "I'm not confident, Ddong-ha." she murmured. "Did you even hear what your mother said? About how many people are coming to the wedding? If I disgrace myself there, I'll be disgracing Korea in front of all those countries. Do you have any idea how prone to disaster I am in a skirt?"

Baekhyun reached for her hand and interlaced their fingers. "Eunbyul, you're not going to screw up." he convinced. "You're going to be the prettiest bride and you'll wow them with your superb sword play. I know it."

"And then?" Byul whispered. "I'm going to be Queen, Ddong-ha. I don't think I'm up for it."

Baekhyun finally understood her insecurities and pulled her onto his lap, hugging her tightly. "Eunbyul, did you think my mother was made out to be Queen? She told me how scared she was when she went through the wedding with my father. But look how successful she is now? You can learn along the way, Eunbyul. Not a problem."

"And besides," Baekhyun continued. "You have to believe in yourself. You're stronger than most girls, Eunbyul. The people already love you, don't you see? You get letters of appreciation all the time and you haven't even started. You can do it."

"But the Queen of a Nation, Ddong-ha." Byul still shook her head. "That's a really huge responsibility and I was just an ordinary bodyguard. I wasn't even a princess and I have so much catching up to do. I have to learn how to read and write, to sing and dance, the proper ettiquete. I have so many years of catching up to do, Ddong-ha."

Baekhyun tilted her head to face him. "Eunbyul, I don't expect you to be the perfect Queen. I don't need you to be a nice lady who sings and dances, who does needle work for her children, who doesn't touch swords or horses. No. I love you the way you are, and no matter how or what you do, I'll love you."

Byul turned to look at him with tears in her eyes.

At that moment, she realized how things were. Yes, she was going to be a Nation's Queen. She was going to be the mother of the land some day. The important person who would be in charge of public relations and running the Palace.

But at the same time, she was going to be Baekhyun's wife. Wasn't a marriage's main purpose that?

If Baekhyun liked her the way she was, there shouldn't be anything else she should worry about.

Baekhyun smiled at her and caressed her cheek with his thumb and leaned nearer to her. Byul's eyes fluttered close as hisi lips pressed gently against hers in a kiss of love and assurance.

At that moment, everything else didn't seem to matter.