Looked Down

The Kungfu Queen (Bodyguard Princess II)

Byul swallowed as she hid herself behind the pillar.

"Who does she think she is, really." a maid scoffed. "She was just a bodyguard, a commoner like the rest of us. What makes her think she can be Queen?"

"Misuk!" Minhee hissed, looking around cautiously. Byul hid in her hiding spot, keeping out of sight. "Watch what you say." Minhee frowned. "How can you say that about Princess Byul? She's a very nice person and Jeonha and her are very in love. They deserve each other."

"I agree with Misuk." Another maid cropped up. "The only reason why she's something like a princess now is because she managed to seduce Jeonha. She must have used some dark magic, really. How in the world would Jeonha fall for someone like her? She's just a lowly commoner, she is completely unfit to be the Queen of the nation."

Minhee looked extremely offended and angry at their words. "You two are horrible." she spat. "If you choose to continue with this topic, I think I should leave." she picked up her stuff and stalked off.

The two maids sneered as Minhee went off. "She's another one." the first maid muttered. "I heard the rumors of Prince Kai and her dating. Does she really think she is a princess if Kai-gun likes her? He's just playing with her."

"She's another one that needs waking up from this nonsensical dream." the second maid nodded. "But I really think Jeonha should wake up soon. Han Eunbyul is so obviously not worthy of him, and not only him as a Crown Prince, but does he really think she can be the Queen? Look at the current Queen. She's so well-versed with history and literature, she handles all matters in the Palace perfectly and gives amazing speeches to newcomers to the Palace. Han Eunbyul can never achieve that."

"Exactly." the first maid. "Whatever, I hope she embarrasses herself soon. I can't stand seeing her around Jeonha like she belongs there. Come on, we've got to dry the laundry."

The two maids hurried off, not knowing that their entire conversation was overheard by the topic of the conversation herself. Byul leaned against the pillar and stared blankly into space, swallowing hard.

She shook her head and forced a smile on her lips. "Quit it, they're just two people out of the millions. I'm sure some actually support me." she whispered.

"Eunbyul~"

Byul wiped at her eyes just in case some tears leaked out without her knowing and she plastered a smile on her lips as she turned to face Baekhyun. Baekhyun beamed at her and pressed her against the pillar. "Hmm you're here." he buried his face in her hair. "I was looking for you. Let's have breakfast."

"Hmm okay." Byul pushed him away distractedly. "Let's go."

Byul avoided his gaze and her eyes were downcast, looking slightly disturbed and troubled. Baekhyun frowned at her odd behavior and followed, scratching his head in confusion.

Was there something she was hiding from him?

 

 

 

Byul ended her princess lessons early that day and decided to pop over to her family's quarters to visit her mother and brother.

Baekhyun had hired the best teacher in the whole of Korea to coach Jaeho in his studies and Byul was exceptionally grateful for that. She didn't want her brother to turn out illiterate like she was.

Unfortunately, the Park Seongsaengnim was back in his hometown for some matters and sent his son, the younger Park master to coach Jaeho for the time being. Byul didn't 'mind even though Baekhyun wasn't pleased. The son of the renowned Park Seongsaengnim must be very learned as well.

Byul first went to the pavillion near her family's quarters, knowing that Jaeho's lessons were taking place there.

She saw a tiny figure of Jaeho and a taller male which she assumed was Park Seongsaengnim's son in the pavillion and she smiled softly. She moved quickly to reach them, and her smile slowly faded, replaced by a confused frown.

Why was Jaeho squating on the ground with his hands on his ears?

Park Seongsaengnim Junior barked something in a hostile tone that Byul could even hear from afar. Jaeho jumped in fear and immediately rose from his squating position, jumping up high once and squating down again.

Byul gaped as she approached the entire confusing scene. Wasn't Park seongsaengnim Junior supposed to coach Jaeho? Why was Jaeho doing on the ground then?

"What is seven times of twenty four?" Park Seongsaengnim Junior barked.

Jaeho cringed and he looked absolutely frightened. His eyes darted around, and he obviously wasn't in a state of mind to think clearly about questions like these. "A hundred and...and..."

"Are you stupid?" Park Seongsaengnim Junior sneered. "It's a hundred and sixty eight! How could you not know that? And why didn't you jump while you were answering? Fifty half squats, now!"

Jaeho let out a soft whimper as he rose to his feet, beginning to do his half-squats. His knees were trembling from fatigue and Byul recognized that as something that only occurred when one had exerted too much strength in physical efforts when they weren't ready for such extents. She had those before.

But Jaeho was supposed to be a learned gentleman, he wasn't supposed to be doing things like this. And why was that Park Seongsaengnim Junior barking at Jaeho like her brother was a freaking dog?

"I can't believe I'm expected to waste my time over here like this." Park Seongsaengnim Junior complained openly while Jaeho was doing his half-squats. "I could be teaching better students as compared to you. You don't even know your multiplication tables at eleven years old. What a disgrace. Most nobles know it at the age of seven."

Jaeho was crying while he did his half-squats and he just nodded, listening to his teacher and not daring to utter a word.

"I guess it's because of your lowly birth. Your mother was a seamstress wasn't she? And your sister isn't even literate." Park Seongsaengnim junior sneered. "How in the world did your family get into the palace, I can't imagine. The world is unfair." he finally turned back to Jaeho and narrowed his eyes. "You call that a half squat? Another twenty on top of the fifty!" he barked.

Byul clenched her fists and strode over with a ominous expression. She was shivering with anger and agitation, extreme disbelief and had enough frustration to kill the freaking Park Seongsaengnim Junior. "Jaeho, stop what you're doing."

Jaeho stopped and brightened when he saw his sister. "Noona!" he flew over into her arms and cried loudly. "I don't like the palace, I want to leave now." he sobbed.

Byul hugged her brother and eyed the bastard teacher over her brother's head. Park Seongsaengnim Junior was visibly pale at this point and seemed to panic at his obviously stupid actions. Commoner birth or not, Byul was still the woman the Crown Prince loved. Offending her wouldn't be wise.

"I hope I don't see you again." Byul whispered fiercely. She scooped Jaeho in her arms and strode away, her bottom lip trembling.

She couldn't believe the harsh treatment on her young brother just because they weren't of noble birth. So what if they were commoners? Her father had been a minister before, even if a small one. Even though of commoner birth, her father had shown his talent and loyalty and was actually accepted to being a minister, which was a rare happening for commoners.

So just because their family wasn't rich and wealthy and her brother had to be treated like scum? Every child deserved a chance to learn. Every child, even her brother.

Byul brought Jaeho back to her family's quarters, shaking with emotion. She was about to enter when she saw her mother kneeling on the ground with a rag. What....what in the world?

Mrs Han was scrubbing the floors dilligently like she would back when she was at home, and it was a scene that wouldn't have affected Byul as much if not for the fact that the maids who were supposed to do the job, those ing maids were standing at the side and watching her mother do the work.

"You missed a spot, Mrs Han." one maid pointed out while chewing on a treat which was supposedly prepared for Mrs Han.

Mrs Han just cleaned wordlessly, looking meek. Byul knew her mother, her mother wasn't someone to like head on clashes and if, by doing what she was told, she could avoid quarrels and conflict, her mother would do it.

"Just a reminder, Mrs Han." another maid murmured. "Don't you dare tell your daughter or future-son-in-law about this. You're the one who said you didn't mind cleaning your own quarters weren't you?" she snickered.

Byul could imagine her mother saying that, but she didn't think her mother meant she wanted a whole group of maids directing and ordering her around.

Mrs Han stood up slowly and went to rinse the rag, her hand going to her back. Byul bit back a sob, knowing that her mother had backaches ever so often. Her mother was supposed to enjoy her life in the Palace, her brother was supposed to receive the best education here.

What was happening?

"Umma, stop. Don't clean anymore." Byul made her appearance.

The maids at the corner nearly fainted of shock and they all fell to their knees at once, frightened. "Gongju-mama." their voices trembled.

"Out." Byul hissed. "At once."

The maids didn't need to be told twice. Byul ignored them as her eyes connected with her mother's. Mrs Han looked worried and she shook her head with a tired smile. "Don't misunderstand, Byul. I offered to clean the place-"

"Umma." Byul ran to her mother and her mother with Jaeho between them. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." she whispered, tears falling down her face.

"There's nothing to be sorry about, Byul." Mrs Han smiled softly. "It's understandable that the others don't find us fit to be here. Things can get hard in the beginning but it will turn better."

Byul shook her head. Jaeho was still crying from before and she looked from her brother to her tired mother.

"Can't we move out of the palace, umma?" Jaeho sniffled. "I don't like it here except for when noona and Ddong-hyung is here. Everyone treats us nice then. But I don't like the other times. I want to go."

"Jaeho, we can't." Mrs Han shook her head with a bitter smile. "Your sister found her happiness here. We must support her, right?"

Byul watched with a sinking heart, not knowing what to say. The strongest feeling that hit her was guilt. Pure, heart-wrenching guilt.

Her mother and brother had to be treated like they were scum on the earth just because Byul decided to go falling in love with someone out of her league. It was alright if Byul suffered for her decision, but for her family to be looked down and insulted because of her, she really couldn't accept it.

She could be called a million names, but she would never allow for her brother or mother to be the target of attack.

How could she be so selfish as to force her family to stay here just because of her own wants?

Byul watched her mother comfort Jaeho tearfully and she clenched her fists. The feeling that she shouldn't be here had never striked her as strongly as it had, now.