Surprise

The Kungfu Queen (Bodyguard Princess II)

"Who does he think he is? Ordering me around like that!" Byul whispered fiercely to herself while staring out of her window. "Not meet any guys at their quarters without him? That's exactly what I'll do! He's not my owner or anything, I don't belong to him!"

Byul's brows were knitted as she grew angrier and angrier at Baekhyun's unreasonable burst of anger. Seriously, she had no idea why he was like that. He was usually sweet and cheesy and didn't mind if she mixed around with other guys.

Byul was boyish to start with, so she couldn't really click with girls her age. Her good pals were usually boys from the military academy and not to mention her best friend was also a guy: Eunhyuk.

Baekhyun knew that from the start and he should have already accepted the fact. What, he was regretting it now?

Byul had a good mind to call Eunhyuk all the way from the military academy and start acting intimate with her best friend just to spite Baekhyun, really. How could he order her like that? Was he her father? THE NERVE.

Unknownst to her, Baekhyun was standing outside her room, hesitating to go in. He peeked in and saw Byul sitting by the window, wiping at her cheeks furiously while cursing fluently under her breath and he sighed softly.

Damn, he managed to make her cry.

He was such a failure, really. It wouldn't be a surprise if Byul really decided to change her heart and start falling for Chanyeol instead. At least he would know that Chanyeol was a good enough guy for Byul if that was the case.

Baekhyun shook his head at the thought and frowned to herself. Damn it, why was he thinking like Byul was already cheating on him? She wasn't, alright Baekhyun's brain. Han Eunbyul wasn't cheating on him.

At least that was what he thought.

Baekhyun sighed and shook his head, deciding to throw this matter to the back of his mind. What was more important at hand was to make the angry Byul forgive him for his sudden burst of obnoxious behavior which he thoroughly regretted, and how he was to go about doing it.

Sora watched Baekhyun from the distance and swallowed the lump. So her plan was obviously working.

The two incredibly in-love lovers had less trust for each other than she imagined. Or perhaps it was the fact that both of them thought they were not good enough for the other, which made it easier to create riffs between them because both half-expected the other to realize they weren't good enough.

Pretty ridiculous, because everyone could see Baekhyun and Byul belonged together. But they didn't know that of course. Because they loved the other so much, they tended to think too nicely for the other person and assumed they themselves weren't good enough.

Rubbish really. But it worked for her plan.

Sora sighed softly and wished that she could actually feel genuine happiness for the success of her planning and scheming. If only she didn't have to lie to Chanyeol to achieve this. If only...

 

 

 

"Eunbyul." Baekhyun straightened up when Byul came out of her room the next morning.

He was beaming brightly at her like the sun in the sky and Byul tore her eyes away from him immediately, not sparing him a single glance. She cleared and sat down at the other end of the table, pulling the dishes away from him to her side and started eating her breakfast without a word.

Baekhyun frowned at her behavior and mentally scolded himself for his rash words the previous day. Stupid mouth.

Byul bit into a bun and chewed, her eyes downcasted as she sipped her tea at the same time. Baekhyun watched her and squirmed in his seat. Was this their first real fight as a couple? They squabbled all the time of course, because of little things, petty ones, but all those weren't real fights.

Was Byul really really angry at him this time?

"Eunbyul," Baekhyun started, and Byul sent him such a terrifying glower that Baekhyun immediately shut his mouth. Yes, she was definitely angry. Extremely so, in fact.

Byul returned her attention to her bun and ignored Baekhyun for the rest of the breakfast. Whenever Baekhyun tried to start talking, Byul would either glare at him or start clearing so loudly that he couldn't talk. She really had a way to shut people out when she didn't want to hear things.

Baekhyun twisted his lips as he looked out at the sky. It was time for his plans, he couldn't delay too much.

"Eunbyul," he called after her as Byul stalked off from the table after finishing a hurried breakfast, preparing to leave for her princess lessons. "Your lessons are cancelled today."

Byul stopped in her tracks and wheeled around to look at him in surprise. "Why?"

"I cancelled them." Baekhyun murmured, getting up from his seat. "There's some things that we have to-"

"Oh and you cancelled them without telling me." Byul retorted, frowning. "Have you thought that maybe I really like embroidery and I love the princess lessons and that if you cancel them, I'd feel sad and disappointed at the loss? Have you?"

"Your sense of humor has definitely not left you." Baekhyun muttered under his breath. He sighed and went over to her, touching her arm. Byul pulled away from him, glaring fiercely. "Look, it was a last minute thing alright? And I know you enough, you don't enjoy the princess lessons and find them a chore. Period. What we're going to do today is going to be worth it, you won't regret it. I promise." he smiled at her sincerely and Byul could feel her anger seeping away.

Darn his angellic face. Byul harrumphed and looked away, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Baekhyun chuckled softly and tugged at her hand, pulling her after him. His grip was surprisingly tight and Byul couldn't pull away when she tried, and she finally gave up, relenting and just following his lead.

His grip softened when she didn't resist and interlaced their fingers. Byul liked the warmth of his hand too much to use this as a chance to pull away.

Baekhyun led her to one of the unused quarters near theirs and Byul was surprised to see a lot of work going on there early in the morning. There were servants carrying new wardrobes and tables into the rooms and setting up new paintings and decors. The maids were tidying up the place in a hurry and sweeping every corner of the room.

Byul stopped and peered inside, realizing that the decor inside was being changed to better, premium quality furniture. "What is going on?"

"This quarter isn't going to continue being vacant any longer so there's some work that needs to be done." Baekhyun explained. "I brought you here for your opinion on things. Do you think it looks good enough?" he casually wiped a finger across the table and inspected the dust.

Byul looked around the place which seemed a little different from the usual palace decor. Everything inside was very grand and no doubt expensive, but at the same time, the theme of the rooms were more homely than the usual majestic feel the palace was trying to achieve.

It was exceptionally homely and cosy, a place where she would have loved to live. "It's...nice." Byul managed not to seem to enthusiastic about it, seeing how she was supposed to be angry with Baekhyun. "Who is it going to be for?"

"Important people, of course." Baekhyun sent her a mysterious grin. "Come, see the rooms and tell me your opinion." he pulled her along and Byul followed, taking in the brand new look of the rooms. Whoever staying there would be sure to enjoy the new facilities.

Baekhyun gave Byul the choice of choosing the wallpapers, the drawers, the little ornaments, and Byul was secretly enjoying herself. She thought it was quite fun to put together a place she thought home and grew to like that particular quarters more and more as the time passed.

Soon, the place was done up and ready to go.

"So who are these important people coming to stay? Aren't they coming yet?" Byul asked casually. She looked over at Sora to see if the bodyguard knew but Sora shook her head, not knowing. Byul eyed Baekhyun, who gave her a grin.

He looked up at the position of the sun. "I think they should be here around this time-"

"NOONNNNNAAAA!!!!"

Byul's eyes widened and her jaw dropped at the voice. That sounded like- wait, it couldn't be. He was back at home in the Capital-...Byul swallowed when she saw her little brother running towards her at top speed, hurling himself into her arms.

"NOONA!" Jaeho beamed as he hugged Byul tightly. "I missed you noona!"

Byul hugged her brother back without thinking. "Oh my goodness." she whispered breathlessly. "What are you doing here!" she looked up and her jaw widened when she saw her mother walking towards them. "UMMA!"

"Close the mouth, Byul. You're going to be a princess." Mrs Han joked, smiling. She nodded happily at Baekhyun and turned to hug her daughter.

Byul finally pulled apart from her mother and brother after a long moment and stared at the two. "What are-" she looked back at the new quarters that was prepared and back at them. Her eyes widened in realization and her gaze snapped to Baekhyun's in surprise. "The people who are going to stay here are Jaeho and umma?"

"Yep." Baekhyun nodded with a grin. "I decided it was high time I fetched your family over to the palace since the wedding is in sight. I've been thinking about it for ages and finally got to it."

"You...intolerable piece of..." Byul struggled with her words, too touched to speak. "You meanie!"

Baekhyun smiled, taking it as a compliment, judging from her flushed expression. Byul was snapped out of her daze when Jaeho's voice pierced the air and was revealed to have snuck into the place before either of the adults noticed. "Noona! This place is so nice! We're going to live here???" he shrieked, obviously excited.

Mrs Han smiled and nodded at the room. "It's really a nice place, Jeonha. Thank you for fetching us here to be closer to Byul."

"Call me Baekhyun, Omonim." Baekhyun grinned. "It's nothing." he actually pinked. "It's my duty."

Jaeho came running out and he was red in the face as well, except his was from excitement. "Umma! You should try the bed! It's so so so soft it feels like the cloud! It's a cloud on the land!" he exaggerated. "And there's this huuuuge library and-"

"Little guy, you've got to talk slower if you want your mom to catch what you're saying." Baekhyun picked up the eleven year old with a chuckle. Jaeho wriggled his legs and huffed at Baekhyun. "I'm not little, for the umpteenth time. You're the one that's little, Ddong-hyung!"

"I'm little?" Baekhyun raised his brows. "Why you little-"

"Jaeho, stop picking a fight with Baekhyun." Mrs Han fussed. "Come show me the cloud bed you're talking about." she smiled. Jaeho hopped out of Baekhyun's arms and nodded, pulling his mother in. Mrs Han smiled gratefully at Baekhyun and followed her son inside, leaving Baekhyun and Byul at the door.

Baekhyun snuck a glance at Byul and saw her smiling so widely that her cheeks would have been hurting. He smiled as well.

Byul caught him looking and immediately tired to frown, failing terribly. Baekhyun grinned and tugged on her arm, pulling her nearer. "Oh come on, I did all that for you, sending messengers through the night to get your family and arranging for this vacant abandoned place to be pretty enough to stay and you won't smile for me? Just one smile, hmm?" he poked her cheek.

Byul couldn't help the grin and she rolled her eyes. "You're horrible."

"I hope you don't mean it." Baekhyun pulled her into his arms and sighed into her hair. Byul smiled and hugged him back, touched that he would do all this for her. Bringing her family here was such a meaningful act. Not only was he concerned about her longing for her family, but he was also showing how important he regarded this relationship to be doing this for her.

"Forgiven?" he whispered into her ear.

Byul could only smile and nod while burying her face into his chest. That brat.