Rising Suspicions

The Kungfu Queen (Bodyguard Princess II)

"How did the visiting go?" Baekhyun asked Byul warmly when she returned back to the Palace.
 
She was smiling and didn't look like she was particularly affected by anything that happened out there, and Baekhyun just assumed that the trip had gone well.
 
Anyway, who could dislike Byul, really!
 
Or maybe he just wasn't looking hard enough. Or he would have seen how Byul avoided his gaze at all costs and there was a tinge of melancholy in her eyes. Or he would have seen how her smile would falter every single time he looked away. Or he would have noticed her fists clenched against her dress.
 
He didn't see them all.
 
"It was great." Byul fibbed as best as she could, the memories of the harsh words quickly rising in her mind.
 
She had even well-liked before when she was a commoner, yes, however she had her fair share of snubs. Because she was more boyish than regular girls, the older generation generally didn't approve of her behavior. Byul made up for that with her genuine smiles and kind acts.
 
Now that she was to be the Crown Princess, much more is expected of her. Things they not a bright smile and a few simple acts can aid in.
 
Byul wished she was as cool as she seemed. She wished she would be able to disregard all criticisms and insults like they were nothing, having confidence for whatever she did.
 
But the thing about confidence was that unless you were someone with a gigantic ego, you would only feel confidence when you were doing something which you were good at, used to, excelled in.
 
Byul had confidence in everything else besides being a girly feminine princess. How in the world was she expected to be unaffected by it all, she couldn't imagine.
 
"The people liked me a lot." Byul lied harder when she felt Baekhyun's gaze on her. "The kids were cheering my name. One of them even gave me this."
 
She took out a cute messily made decoration which was completely true, seeing how the boy had given it to her before his grandmother decided to insult Byul from head to toe.
 
"Aww." Baekhyun grinned and pinched her cheek. "I knew you could do it. You're Han Eunbyul."
 
Byul faked a smile against his palm as Baekhyun took her hand, leading her back to their quarters. "I was worried, you know." Baekhyun admitted. "About haters. I've had my fair share of them and I know they can be difficult to deal with."
 
Byul swallowed. Yes they were.
 
"But well, who could hate you, right?" Baekhyun grinned at Byul cutely. "My taste in girls is spectacular."
 
Byul bit her lip and just let him continue talking. No point burdening him with more things than necessary.
 
The last thing Byul wanted was for Baekhyun to worry about her.

 

 

 


"Something is wrong, spill." Chanyeol followed Byul to get the rest of the EXO-K princes snacks when she volunteered.
 
He noticed Byul's melancholic looks and depressed sighs at once when they were gathered together. She looked positively depressed and Chanyeol didn't know what it was to cause even Byul to look so crest-fallen.
 
Perhaps the reason why Baekhyun wasn't able to see her woes but Chanyeol could, was because of the fact that Byul loved Baekhyun much more. Hence under his gaze, her pretense was a whole lot stronger.
 
Byul dodged Chanyeol's eyes and visibly swallowed, strutting faster to the kitchen. The entire trip was completely unnecessary since they had maids but no one thought it strange that Byul wanted to do things herself.
 
"What are you talking about?" Byul murmured. "Hurry, the boys are going to complain if we don't return quickly with food."
 
Chanyeol frowned and stopped walking, crossing his arms. "Han Eunbyul, do you treat me as a friend or not?" He demanded. "Something is dreadfully wrong and I can see it. Baekhyun hyung might not have noticed it because you were pretending so hard that even I couldn't tell you were troubled, but in front of the rest of us, you don't act as well, Byul."
 
Byul swallowed again, stopping in her tracks.
 
"Byul, is something wrong?" Chanyeol touched her shoulder lightly. "You can tell me anything, really. If you need someone to spill your woes to, I'm here. It's good to say it out sometimes you know."
 
Byul turned around hesitantly and looked around them to make sure they were alone. "Don't tell Ddong-ha." Was the first thing she said out of obvious concern for her other half.
 
Chanyeol raised his brows in disapproval but he nodded in the end. "Alright I won't tell, I promise."
 
Byul bit her lip and shuffled around the spot, looking very untested. "I'm scared." She whispered. She glanced at Chanyeol uncertainly and he didn't say anything, letting her continue.
 
"I went to visit the people in the capital city yesterday." Byul swallowed. "To say it nicely, the response wasn't very encouraging for some."
 
Chanyeol frowned and looked at seriously. "But Byul, you aren't the sort of person who would let a few comments get to you, no matter how ty they sound. If someone says you're a ty swords-woman, you would probably ignore the person or kick the hell out of him. This isn't like you."
 
"But you know what?" Byul retorted back. "I can respond so coolly if that happens because I KNOW that I'm good at swordplay. I KNOW that those words were nonsense and lies. But you know what?" She turned to Chanyeol, whispering. "I also KNOW that what those people said about me is true."
 
"I'm not a princess, I'm not of noble birth. I may be good at fighting but that's all I have. You don't need a Queen that can fight well, you need a Queen that can handle the things happening in the Palace, that had grown up doing things like embroidery and poems, not climbing trees and picking fruits of them. Do you understand?" Her voice was strained and tears were welling in her eyes. "I really don't want to think this way, Chanyeol. But with every passing day, the thought gets stronger."
 
"What thought?" Chanyeol asked, a little hesitant at knowing her answer. He could understand where Byul was coming from, but he didn't think she would make a bad queen. She would make the coolest one.
 
"That I'm not worthy of Baekhyun." Byul murmured dejectedly. "I'm not."
 
"Byul.." Chanyeol sighed, shaking his head. How could she think this way? "Whether it not someone is worthy of another isn't determined by the status of birth, Byul. You and Baekhyun hyung are perfect for each other, please don't let anything affect your relationship. It's not worth it."
 
Byul nodded and hung her head, letting out a small sigh. Chanyeol was right. This wasn't like her at all.
 
But then again, she hadn't encountered something like that before either had she?
 
-----
 
Baekhyun looked out at the door unconsciously for the umpteenth time that second. He was very engaged in the current conversation with the EXO-K boys about some korean sport, but there was a nagging feeling he felt in his heart that something was missing.
 
He never realized what it was until he met Sora's eye. She looked like she had something to say, so Baekhyun went to the side to pour himself a cup of tea so that she could speak.
 
"Byul. Byul's gone for a long time with Chanyeol-gun. Haven't you realized?" Sora whispered. She felt torn at the comment as well, because her own little jealousy was welling up at the observation.
 
What was Chanyeol doing with this girl he had once loved? Did Sora even know if his love for Byul was past tense or not?
 
Baekhyun blinked a few times and then smiled. "Are you actually suggesting that-" he faltered when he saw Chanyeol and Byul coming back into the room together.
 
Chanyeol had an arm slung around Byul's shoulder and was whispering into her ear. Byul didn't shake his touch away, but instead leaned in nearer to listen.
 
Chanyeol finished whatever he was saying and squeezed Byul's shoulder, letting his arm finally fall to his side. Baekhyun eyed the two like a hawk, the discomfort growing in his chest.
 
The two settled back into their seats and the conversation continued on. However, Baekhyun noticed how Byul was exceptionally quiet and kept playing with her hands under the table.
 
And not to mention how Chanyeol kept looking over at her once in a while and sending small comforting smiles.
 
Baekhyun forced himself to look away and swallowed. It couldn't be. Could it??