Chanyeol: Chapter 1

Cupid's Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I am back at school for my second semester of college, and the initial excitement that had fueled me to look forward to the year is now dissipating and turning into a redundant reminder of my prolonged singularity. I watch familiar strangers of opposing genders collide in a desperate embrace that then turns into a longing kiss. Turning away before I become nauseated at the excessive PDA, I continue to walk toward my dorm room with a suitcase in my left hand, a purse slung over my right arm, and a backpack bouncing against my spine.

A hubbub of noise twists the air as I climb the wide stairs to my hall. The tires of the suitcase catch on the lip of the step. I stop, pull at it to set it free, and continue onward. A girl with a giant duffel bag rushes by me, almost knocking me down. I huff and catch my breath, and then I enter my room.

I should be more excited about school. College doesn’t have, after all, haggling parents, restrictions I can't break without less relevant consequences, and childish limits. I’m as free as I’m willing to get at this age. So why aren't I willing?

To be honest, 'free' for me means getting a boyfriend, but last semester’s history of bum results had discouraged me from searching.

Anyway, I’ve made my decision to wait. One of my self-proclaimed wingmen told me “You want him too bad. You’ll never get him.” I feel like that’s becoming more and more evident every day. I’m in college, and I never once have had a boyfriend or had my first kiss. I feel not only immature, but also lacking, as if I am a student that stayed back several grades for bad marks.

I start unpacking my clothes and setting them into the drawers. I play music on my iPhone as I resettle into the room. When Big Bang starts playing, the door opens, and my roommate steps in.

“Bora!” I shout and rush forward to award her with a hug. “Hey, I brought the Christmas lights like you asked.”

“Oh, cool!” she says as I reach for the box of Christmas lights in my open suitcase.

“We can do this now or we can do it later, your choice,” I say as I set the box on my bed.

“Let’s do it now,” she says. “I don’t feel like unpacking my stuff yet.” Together, we untangle the lights and drape them across one wall of our room using thumbtacks to stick them to the wall. After that, we hang some memorable photos across the lights.

“That looks good,” I say as we step back to gaze at our work from afar. “What do you think?”

“Not bad,” she nods as she judges our work. “We still have space here,” she says, pointing to the empty walls that corner the head and foot of my bed.

“Yeah, I’ve got some photos I’ll put on. I’ll take this wall, and you can use that if you have some extra photos.”

“Okay. Let’s do that, then.” She brings out more photographs and arranges them into a vague heart on the wall. I use tape to press my photographs to my side of the wall and arrange them into a mass of black and white pictures related to people, fashion, and quotes. I stare at it for a long time, trying to decide whether I should use one picture over the other, and when I am finally satisfied, I clean up my mess.

“Hey, come look at this real quick,” I tell Bora. “What do you think?”

“It’s pretty,” She says. “’Only a fool trips on what is behind him?’ That’s some deep stuff.”

“I like that deep stuff,” I laugh. I resume unpacking my things. Taking out shampoo from a plastic bag, I step into the bathroom and say, “So how was Winter Break?”

“Boring,” she mutters. I place the shampoo in the shower and return to the room. “All I did was work, eat, sleep, and watch movies.”

“That’s what I did too. Except I have no job so … ” I pause, having remembered what happened to her during break. “So do you still talk to that guy?”

“Nah. We kind of stopped texting over break,” she says immediately. “It’s cool though. We didn’t really have anything going on, and I didn’t really like him.”

“You and I are basically in a relationship anyway,” I joke, “so … I don’t really know why you’re worried about him … “

“You’re lame,” she scoffs and throws a pillow at me. I laugh and catch it in the air, only to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter