8

Forbidden Boys

A faint blush was still evident on her cheeks as she and Ahbin stepped inside their homeroom. But Eunbi didn’t pay any attention to it, nor did she feel bothered by the stares everyone were giving her. Not when all she could think about was him and that smile. His name though, were still unknown to the said girl, who reached for her notepad as soon as she sat down at her desk. She couldn’t wait longer and scribbled down a question on a piece of paper, one she then threw towards Ahbin. The other girl stared between the crumpled up note and Eunbi before mouthing, “what’s this?” in response she pointed at the paper whilst telling the other girl to read it, something Ahbin, much to her own relief, did. But that’s also how far it proceeded, because their teacher entered the room and told everyone to quiet down and listen.

“The yearly trip to Nanji Hangang park is getting close now.” Eunbi heard how some of the students groaned whilst their teacher continued, “it’s only two weeks left and like I said before summer vacation, everyone has to participate.” more disapproving sounds emitted and the girl turned to Ahbin, as she had no clue what this so-called trip was about, “what’s going to happen?” in difference to the more part of the class did her friend seem excited, maybe a bit too excited actually, “you don’t know?” the other girl gasped, which in turn earned the teacher’s attention, who told them to be silent. “We are, as all of you know, going to sleep over there for a night. Which brings us to the next point. Rules.” Eunbi wasn’t too sure of what to think, not when it sounded like they were going to camp out in the woods, something she’d never done before.

“I don’t want to go. I’ll rather spend my time studying instead.” one of the girl’s stated. “Yeah, me too.” someone else added and soon enough was everyone arguing how they didn’t want to spend two days and a night in a dirty tent with insects. Wow. Eunbi was actually surprised at their ability to argument, especially since most of them lacked it during class. But then again, the subject wasn’t usually about the students having to sacrifice themselves and their free time for a stupid trip to the woods. “Enough. This has already been decided and there’s nothing I can do about it.” a few of the students wouldn’t listen and continued to, almost in a harsh way, state how they weren’t going. A reaction that received consequences from the teacher, who raised her voice, “I’ll be calling the parents of everyone who doesn’t show up.” the students settled, like that was the most terrifying thing in the world.

“Now, as I was saying. Rules... -” Eunbi lost focus as she stared out the window and saw Sehun walking across the schoolyard. Where he was going became obvious as he headed over and disappeared behind the gym. Really, did he skip class to smoke? It was surprising, but not impossible considering how he ignored his own father and all. Still, school was school, and he could quit if he so wanted. That’s if he didn’t want to attend.

“Eunbi yah, are you paying attention to what I’m saying?” flustered about having been caught she averted her gaze and stared at the teacher upfront, the middle aged woman gave her a disapproving look, as if Eunbi should know better. “Anyhow, back to what I was trying to say.” she really tried to listen. However, with that gnawing curiosity still lingering within the girl couldn’t keep herself from glancing out the window, like she had to know what Sehun was doing. Not that Eunbi saw him, since he stood hidden for the moment. But when he did appear Eunbi frowned, because instead of heading for the school he walked toward the gate. He was not just skipping class, he was skipping school, too. Not the best way to start the new semester.

An hour later Eunbi stood on the rooftop, leaning against the railing and glancing down on the life below whilst Ahbin spoke, “I can’t believe its only two weeks left now. I mean, I’ve been looking forward to this the whole summer.” Eunbi spun around, smiling at the other’s eagerness, “you’re looking forward to sleep in a tent?” it was something she’d never done before, and it caused some anxiety for the said girl, who, even though that, were still anticipating the upcoming trip. “Are you crazy. Don’t you know who’s going?” she shook her head, she’d thought it was only their class. “Really? Well, every student is going be there.” how was that even be possible? Did the teacher actually have the capability to keep track of nearly two hundred students, thus making sure no one created trouble or did something he or she wasn’t supposed to?

“Right. Before I forget. His name is Yixing.” the sudden change of subject surprised Eunbi, more so since she couldn’t remember she’d asked for anyone’s name -. Oh. Him. The male from the airport. How could she have forgotten. “Yixing.” his name rolled off her tongue. It sounded nice and she felt her cheeks flush at the memory of his smile. “He’s from China.” that explained the foreign sounding name, “so, he’s an exchange student?” Eunbi frowned at the thought, more so since she didn’t want him to head back anytime soon. Not when she’d developed a small crush on the said male. “No, no. He moved here when he was ten or something. His father got transferred to the Seoul branch of some company.” that made sense, though, Eunbi couldn’t help but to wonder how the other girl knew so much about this Yixing boy.

“Oh.” she nodded, pushed herself away from the railing, and headed over to where Ahbin was sitting, “can I ask you something?” Ahbin laughed, “ask away. I’ve gotten nothing to hide and no reason to lie.” even so. She wanted to sure it was okay first. More so since they’d not even known each other for a week. “Okay. Well, ehm... Is it like, normal for Sehun to ditch school?” she could never understand why anyone skipped school like he’d done. But then again, not everyone had a mother like hers, who expected top scores and perfect grades, and where everything less than that was not acceptable. Their father didn’t seem to give a damn about the activities they took, or didn’t take part in. “Normal?” Ahbin laughed yet again, “I’m not sure he’s considered normal at all.” dumbfounded Eunbi waited for a further explanation, she wanted to know what the other girl based her words on. “I mean. He can dissapear during classes and then reappear several hours later like it’s nothing. Plus, he even got into a fight with a senior last semester.” Eunbi reacted at the last sentence, and was not late to ask, “why? What happened?” she was incredibly curious now. “The senior accused Sehun of stealing his phone, and the situation sort of escalated from there, because instead of defending himself, he’d only stared at the older male. It’d almost looked like Sehun thought the other male was stupid or something. Anyhow, it all ended with Sehun receiving a punch to the face.” Eunbi gaped, she couldn’t believe it, not after having lived with him and somewhat come to understand his character and how he acted.

The bell rang though, before she got the chance to ask further, and Eunbi was left to her own thoughts as the two of them headed down and returned to their homeroom. It was time for English, which, in difference to many other students, was her favorite subject. But the recent revelations caused her brain to think about other stuff, such as Sehun and his weirdness. She found it extraordinary how he’d done nothing when being accused of stealing, more so since it was a pretty standard reaction to object and defend oneself. But then again, she didn’t know him that well, and had no idea how he normally reacted to such an accusation. Well, for all she knew it could’ve been true, too. That he’d taken the cell phone. It was possible.

Lunch break arrived after that and it didn’t take many minutes before she and Ahbin were on their way to the cafeteria. “God I’m so hungry.” food seemed to be on everyones minds, because students all around them were heading in the same direction. Eunbi however, only had one thing in mind. Yixing. So when the two of them stepped inside the cafeteria her gaze wander about, searching for the said male, whom she found standing right in front of them. Yixing was talking to another boy and paid no attention to the chaos and commotion around him. Not until someone bumped into him and Eunbi watched as he glanced up, their gazes meeting for a brief second before he looked at Ahbin, who stood on her right, and smiled. The action surprised the said girl, but what truly baffled her was Ahbin’s reaction, because the other girl gave him a small wave.

Eunbi glanced between her friend and the male, a certain question popping up as she did. A question Ahbin answered without having been asked. “We’re neighbours.”