67

Forbidden Boys

Luhan returned home two days later, pale and quiet. He headed up to his bedroom right away. Something Eunbi could understand. At the same time, she wondered why none of the adults reacted at this seeing as there were still a chance that he would try again. In all honest, Eunbi didn’t think that he should be alone. Luhan was not the only one acting out of character. His father was doing so as well. Maybe out of shock. Disbelief over what’d happened.

 

Everyone kept to themselves. Luhan in his room. Sehun in his. And their parents in the living room. Eunbi herself stood in the hallway between her own bedroom and Luhan’s. She couldn’t decide what to do. If it was right for her to keep an eye on the older male, whom she feared might do something stupid. The possibility terrified her to such an extent that she phased back and forth, as if trying to come up with a solution to the problem. Eunbi walked up and pressed her ear to the door, intensely trying to figure out what he might be up to. It was quiet though, and she frowned as she stood there.

 

“What are you doing?” Sehun’s voice startled her for she hadn’t noticed his presence. She whirled around and looked at the older, who gave her an expression of confusment and curiosity. Eunbi broke the eye contact and shifted her attention to the floor. She wondered if it would be alright to tell him that she was worried. That she didn’t think Luhan should be alone. Having contemplated the thought for a moment, Eunbi decided to tell the truth. She explained that she was concerned about his brother. To make matters worse, Sehun paled and she could only watch as he darted forward and pushed open the door to Luhan’s bedroom. There was no hesitation from Sehun’s side for he stepped inside without even bothering to check if it was okay. Luhan lay on the bed, his face partly hidden by the blanket. He was sleeping.



Eunbi heaved a sigh of relief at the sight.


 

Sehun remained uneasy and found it incredibly hard to leave the room. But did so nonetheless when Eunbi gripped on to his hand and pulled him back. He let her lead him out of the room and the door closed behind the two. They didn’t need to babysit Luhan when he slept. Eunbi glanced over her shoulder at Sehun, whose mouth was set in a frown. It bothered her. And instead of letting go off his hand, she grasped even harder onto him. Eunbi did not want him to be alone and therefore ignored the little rule they’d set. That they should lay low at home. And within seconds, Sehun stood inside Eunbi’s bedroom. She’d locked the door this time in case their parents decided to check in on them, which she hoped they wouldn’t.

 

“I’m tired at all of this.” Pissed off would be an accurate word to describe how he felt about their parents lack of action. They’d said and done nothing and Sehun was irritated. His father, if anyone, should do something. It was unbelievable that the older hadn’t learned anything after Sehun’s suicide attempt. Eunbi, too, found it difficult to understand their father’s behaviour. Surely he must care. He was their father after all. On a sidenote, Eunbi had first hand experience of a father who didn’t care.

 

“I know.” A sigh slipped from her lips whilst she sat down on the bed. She disliked it as well and wished the two adults would take some responsibility and change their ways. It was much needed after all the incidents. Several thuds echoed all of a sudden and Eunbi tensed when she heard a loud crash. It’d come from Luhan’s room. She was certain of that. Sehun must’ve heard it as well for he gave her a quick glance, panic obvious, before he hurried towards Luhan’s bedroom. Eunbi followed close behind and the scene that met the two as they barged into the Luhan’s room overwhelmed the girl. It was chaos. More so than usual and she felt her heart skip a beat when her eyes landed on the picture frame lying on the floor. Scattered glass lay around it.

 

Sehun strode up to his brother, if not slightly hesitant. Luhan didn’t even give the younger a look and instead grabbed onto the photo album and pulled it from its place. His heart was filled with anger and without further ado, Luhan tried to rip it apart. Only to be hindered when Sehun snatched it from his hand and tossed it aside. This was enough for Luhan, whose attention now drifted over to the two intruders. He hated them. Hated them more than ever.

 

“Couldn’t you just have let me be.” Death had been more appealing than anything and he’d been certain it would be a success. Something it would have if they’d stayed away. Instead he was now back to his hellish like life he didn’t know what to do with. University did no longer excite him as much as it once used to. Maybe because his father threatened to cancel the contract to the apartment he was supposed to move into. On the other hand, Luhan wasn’t so sure whether he was interested in school anymore. It was without doubt a topic he found himself returning to. But the ordeal with school wasn’t the only reason for his depressed state. His life in general was a letdown.

 

Their parents must’ve heard the commotion for the two arrived, both of them sporting an expression of worry.

 

“What’s going on here? Luhan,” There was a pause, as if their father had to take in the chaos, before continuing, “what happened? Why does it look like a warzone in here?” He was not the only one wanting an answer. Eunbi did, too. She wanted to know what’d made him react like this. His emotions weren’t something he showed, and he was overall a person who were hard to read. She’d never really thought he was happy. But never could she have foreseen he was so distressed that he wanted to end his own life.

 

“Please, Luhan. You don’t have to make this harder than it already is.” Luhan scoffed at his father’s words.

 

“What the hell do you know about hardships? You’ve always let everyone else take care of your problems. You didn’t even bother when mom lay in the hospital. All you did was work, work, and work. And you still do.” Luhan didn’t spare with the criticism. Why would he when he knew he was right. There was someone who didn’t appreciate the harsh statement though. His father. The older told Luhan to stop. But the latter was too worked up about it all and refused to listen. Luhan made sure that his father knew just how displeased and upset he was when he, loud and clear, wished that it’d been him and not their mother who died. Utter silence followed. No one expected that, especially not Eunbi. She glanced at Sehun who stood next to her. His usual stoic expression now displayed one of shock. He looked as surprised as she felt.

 

“You two, out.” Eunbi and Sehun were both ushered out of there by her mother, who lead them downstairs so their father could talk to Luhan. The three of them took a seat in the living room. With Sehun in the armchair and Eunbi and her mother in the couch. They’d barely settled down before they heard Luhan and how he was practically shouting at his father. It was uncomfortable to say the least and Eunbi bit her lip, uneasy about the turn of events. Never could she have foreseen this would have happened. That Luhan would react like this. Then again. He probably had his reasons.

 

The arguments upstairs reached a crescendo where several thuds could be heard. This was soon followed by heavy footsteps and the slamming of a door. Eunbi first thought their father had enough of Luhan’s behaviour and decided to wait until the latter calmed down. A thought that changed in the split of a second the moment Luhan emerged. He headed for the front door. Eunbi couldn’t really understand what was going on until her mother called out for him to stay. But he ignored it and disappeared out the door.

 

Several seconds passed where Eunbi waited for her mother react and do something. But it became obvious rather quickly that the older woman had no idea what to do. This was enough for Eunbi, who sent Sehun’s a glance, and then hurried after Luhan. He hadn’t got very far and it didn’t take long before she caught up with him. Her hand latched onto his arm and thus caused him to slow down. His expression gave nothing away though, and she found herself bothered by the fact that he remained silent. It was so unusual for him.

 

“Why are you doing this? Nothing’s going to change if you run away.” Eunbi couldn’t tell him that she knew how he felt because she didn’t. Sure. She’d grown up without a father who left even before she was born. But it was something she’d paid no real attention to since it’d always been her mother and grandmother. Luhan on the other hand had spent half his life with his mother, only to lose her so suddenly. It was different circumstances and could not be compared.

 

“Do you know how it feels to be ignored by everyone you care for? When your father doesn’t give a about what you do. Of course you don’t because you have your mother and Sehun on your side. I have no one. No one who cares for me. No one who asks how my day have been.” His voice died at the end, as if he caught himself saying something he shouldn’t. Eunbi however, came to realize that he was right. Their parents were never home, which meant they had no clue as to what was going on. Their father in particular did not seem to care much as to how they did in school. She’d never heard anything about it at least. It was definitely weird. More so since her own mother pressured her to do well.

 

“LUHAN.”  

 

They were joined by his father, who walked up to Luhan and ordered him to go inside. But Luhan being Luhan, he refused. And it did not take long before an argument broke out between the two males. Eunbi couldn’t remember that she’d ever seen her stepfather so furious. He was really angry at Luhan. But the older wasn’t the only one that sported an expression that showed distaste. Luhan did as well.

 

“Do you think your mother would be proud seeing you behave like this?” Irritation grew within and Eunbi frowned. She disliked the fact that her stepfather used Luhan’s mother against him. It was as if he thought he’d done nothing wrong himself. And that if anything bothered her because she felt like he didn’t understand the seriousness of the situation. His both sons had tried to take their own lives. Something that should be enough to cause alarm. Yet, it seemed like nothing would change. Even Eunbi realized that the three of them, Sehun, Luhan, and their father, needed to sit down and talk with each other. They needed to sort everything out and settle their problems before something truly horrible happened.

 

So without thinking, Eunbi parted her lips and spoke.

 

“You shouldn’t put the blame on Luhan only. You’re wrong, too.” For the first time in her life, Eunbi defended Luhan. Her words came as a surprise to the latter, who faltered for a second. Luhan had definitely not expected for Eunbi to defend him. Not after all the things he’d put her through. On a sidenote. It would probably not matter because his father didn’t take criticism very well, which, in other means meant that the statement would be brushed off.

 

“This doesn’t involve you, Eunbi.” She disagreed. This involved her very much.

 

“But it does.” She was siding with Luhan in this. Something she also explained as she told her stepfather that he was being unfair to his sons. That he needed to pay more attention to them and their well being. There was more to life than just work. Unfortunately it didn’t seem like he understood that. Eunbi couldn’t complain too much either, since her own mother was a workaholic as well. It was sad though, that yet another suicide attempt was needed for the adult to finally react. To make matters worse, Eunbi found herself doubting the fact that anything would change. A thought that was strengthened when her stepfather, in a brisk tone, ordered Luhan and her to go inside.

 

And after a lot of ifs and buts, they did as told.

 

Her mother stood in the hall, waiting, as the three of them returned. The woman was not happy with either Luhan or Eunbi for just leaving like that. Then again. The latter was upset, too. Eunbi was annoyed to say the least and immediately asked her mother if they were supposed to live like this.

 

“We’re trying our best to resolve this. But it’s not something we can change in just a day or two.” Eunbi frowned but said nothing. She knew it was of no use because it would only make her mother angry. So instead she accepted it, put her hope in the older’s words, and left to head upstairs. To her surprise she found Sehun sitting on her bed, his hands in his lap and with an expression that displayed sorrow. Eunbi felt bad for him, for the chaos that were going on and went to place herself down next to him. But not without locking the door first.


She let her hand slip into his before she leaned her head against his shoulder.