59

Forbidden Boys

Her grandmother and Kyungsoo stood on the doorstep on Saturday afternoon. Eunbi threw her arms around the older woman, welcoming her, before she repeated the action with Kyungsoo, who gave her a huge smile. She’d been positively surprised when she found out the two of them were coming. It didn’t matter so much that it was a short-notice visit. Not for Eunbi at least. She was just glad as it could serve as a way for her to get her mind off of things. Sehun and Luhan was not as delighted about the visit. The latter had even left the house, saying that he would sleep at a friend’s house till they were gone.

 

Sehun lay on his bed, intensely listening to what was happening outside his room. A frown was evident on his lips, and he swore when he heard Eunbi explaining to the other male that he could take her room. It annoyed Sehun more than it should have, how some other guy could just walk through the door and be met with such friendliness. He disliked it so much he could feel his heart race. To make matters worse, the other male seemed really talk-active. Another reason for Sehun to not like him. Footsteps were soon heard in the staircase as Eunbi wanted to show Kyungsoo and her grandmother where they would be sleeping.

 

“It’s a bit messy. But I hope it’s okay.” she hoped he would excuse the poor attempt to clean up. There hadn’t been a lot of time to do so, which sort of showed. But she’d managed to get the worst away and changed the bed. Well. Sehun changed the bed since her hand wouldn’t co-operate. Kyungsoo said nothing about the mild chaos, something Eunbi was thankful for.

 

“I’ll just show grandma where she can put her stuff, then we can do something else.” Kyungsoo nodded, to which Eunbi lead the way over to her mother and step-father’s bedroom where the two of them would sleep. It was the best solution seeing as she didn’t want to invade Luhan’s room. The older woman placed the bag she held down on the floor before inspecting the room. Eunbi was rather used to it, that her grandmother wanted to see that everything was clean and in order. Luckily, the room was clean and had only needed a change of bed sheets.

 

“I still don’t understand why your mother have to be in Japan. Does she always go with him when they travel?” Eunbi nodded, if not a bit hesitant, since she knew her grandma did not like that they were left alone. Eunbi understood more than well what the older meant by that. Especially after getting to know Sehun and Luhan, whom she guessed were left to fend for themselves quite often when they were younger.

 

“And where are your brothers? Aren’t they home?” to Eunbi’s horror, the woman walked up to Luhan’s room and knocked. No reply came, which was a no-brainer seeing as he wasn’t even there. She’d feared her grandmother might have pushed open the door and entered the room, and was therefore relieved when the older decided to check up on Kyungsoo. And as they made way over to Eunbi’s room, Sehun appeared from his own bedroom. He bowed his head, but said nothing. A sense of nervousness grew within and Eunbi became worried Sehun and her grandmother would clash. Both of them disliked being wrong, disliked when people didn’t listen to what they said. In a way, they were very much alike.

 

“You’re the youngest son? Sehun, right?” Sehun’s usual stoic expression remained unchanged. And it certainly did not get better when Kyungsoo showed up in the doorway to Eunbi’s room.

 

“Hello.” the overly happy, overly friendly tone only made it worse for Sehun, who met eyes with Eunbi. It would be a lie if he said he wanted them there, for all he wished was for the two visitors to pack up their belongings and leave. That however, was not something he could say aloud for obvious reasons, as it would, not only, upset the two guests. But Eunbi as well. Instead. Sehun pressed his lips together and kept silent. He paid no attention either, to whether they saw him as rude when he walked past the three and headed for the kitchen and breakfast. Eunbi on the other hand, was not happy with the male. She thought he was impolite.

 

“Untamed, I see.” laughter filled the hallway and Eunbi couldn’t understand why the woman thought Sehun’s attitude was funny. Not when she’d been certain that it would’ve made the older annoyed. In fact. Eunbi could still remember an incident from when she was younger and her grandmother lectured a worked at a café they went to. The cashier had been really rude. Not only towards them, but other customers as well. So why wasn’t there a reaction to Sehun’s behaviour? Because he was family?

 

“Your grandfather used to be like that too, a long, long time ago. They usually come around though.” more laughter. Eunbi wasn’t as convinced. During the months she’d known the two brothers, they’d barely changed at all. Sehun was slowly getting better, but Luhan was still stuck in his usual ways. It was tiring to say the least especially since they were older than her.

 

In the kitchen, Sehun was preparing a sandwich for himself. One he took with him and ate in the living room whilst watching tv. His attention was elsewhere though, for he kept listening to the conversations Eunbi had with Kyungsoo. The latter’s enthusiasm of being there got on his nerves and he increased the volume so he didn’t have to hear what was said. But what the volume hid, his mind compensated. Hi thoughts were running wild and it was not long before he flew up from the couch. He was going to talk to Eunbi. He needed to tell her how he felt before anyone else got to her.

 

Sehun came to a halt in the doorway to the kitchen, his heart racing as a result of the scene. Eunbi stood with her back against him and Kyungsoo was right by her side. What made Sehun’s blood boil was the fact that the other male was holding on to, and taking care of Eunbi’s hand. He didn’t like it, didn’t like that some other guy was touching her.

 

“I see you care after all.” he tensed, looked up, and met eyes with Eunbi’s grandmother. The older smiled and then went on about how her granddaughter should be more careful. Sehun blinked, not really understanding the point the woman tried to make.

 

“Do you know what I’ve learned throughout my years. That the quiet ones are the ones who care the most.” he had no idea what she meant by that. Did it have anything to do with him. Kyungsoo. Did he like her? Was that it? Was she trying to tell him that Kyungsoo liked Eunbi? Suddenly feeling nervous, his gaze drifted over to the younger girl. She seemed oblivious to any advances though. A sigh escaped Sehun’s lips and he ran a hand through his hair, obviously discontent with the thought of Kyungsoo and Eunbi together.

 

“Sehun ah, why don’t you help out.” that was enough to spark Eunbi’s interest, and she looked over her shoulder at the older male. She expected him to turn on his heel and leave. So when he didn’t, she became surprised.

 

“Great. You can peel the potatoes and carrots.” Kyungsoo stated and motioned with his hand at the ingredients that lay on the counter. Sehun frowned. He and cooking didn’t go well together. Then again. He could use it as an excuse to stay. It would be a perfect opportunity for him to keep and eye on this guy. Eunbi on the other hand, was shocked to say the least. And she couldn’t tear her eyes from Sehun as he went to work. The scene was so rare it almost made her teary-eyed.

 

With a newfound admiration for her stepbrother, Eunbi smiled and began to fix with the other ingredients needed to make dakdoritang.

 

“You should eat more. You’ve become too skinny lately.” Eunbi’s cheeks flushed pink. She found it a bit embarrassing that her grandma pointed that out in front of Kyungsoo and Sehun. The older woman then went on to load Eunbi’s bowl with so much food it almost spilled over. The amount would be impossible to eat up in one sitting. She was nonetheless grateful though. Because with the woman they wouldn’t have been able to enjoy this meal, which was an old family recipe. Sehun, who sat right in front of Eunbi, found it amusing how she looked so overwhelmed.

 

“So. Do you have any plans of what you’re going to do after graduating high school?” it took Sehun a second or two to realize that the question from Eunbi’s grandmother was directed at him. And when he did, he became uneasy. He hadn’t really decided what he would do. He’d paid no real attention to it either, seeing as he had no big dream he wanted to accomplish. He still had a year left in school to take care of.

 

“Get a job I guess.” he shrugged his shoulders like his future was no big deal. In his defence, he’d always been like that. Taking it day by day.

 

And so the conversation continued. Topics like education, work, and family was discussed. And all but Sehun, who let the other three talk, spoke. He didn’t feel like sharing information about himself to them, especially not to the two visitors whom he barely knew.

 

An hour and half later and with their tummies filled, they moved over to the living room. Eunbi took a seat on the floor and instead let her grandmother and Kyungsoo use the couch. Sehun was far from content with having to sit on the hard wooden floor, but made no attempt to disobey. Plus. He noticed quite soon, once Eunbi scooted back after having put the dvd in the player, that it wasn’t all that bad. He had to suppress a smile that threatened to show when she brushed against him. The action was unintentional. He understood that right away for Eunbi gave him an apologetic look. But that was of no importance, whether it was intentional or not, because he felt more at ease knowing that she sat by his side and not together with Kyungsoo.

 

The movie itself didn’t interest him very much. It was rather boring actually. So as a way to kill time he stole glances of Eunbi, who was so engaged in what was happening in the movie that she didn’t notice the looks he gave her.


Someone who did see it all was Eunbi’s grandmother. A knowing smile graced her lips before she shifted her attention back to the tv.