42

Forbidden Boys

 

Two weeks had passed since the cheating incident and luckily for her, Sehun helped out by talking to Yuna. The latter must’ve been wavered by Sehun for the ordeal was written off and the principal promised there would be no consequences. Eunbi wouldn’t be expelled. But that didn’t mean Yuna liked her any better. All that was forgotten. At least temporarily, because winter break had started and Eunbi was too busy preparing for the trip to the ski resort the coming day. She had to make sure she got everything she needed.

“Dinner’s ready.” Eunbi headed downstairs, her thoughts so completely occupied by the ski trip that she paid no attention to anything. Something that caused her to run straight into Sehun, who’d suddenly showed up out of nowhere. The male looked equally surprised to see Eunbi as she was to see him. But instead of making a big deal out of it, he took a step back and let her enter the kitchen before him. A feat that didn’t go by unnoticed, for Luhan was quick to make a comment.

“Looks like you’re losing your ways.” Sehun showed his brother the middle finger before he headed into the kitchen. He wasn’t in the mood actually, to eat together with the rest of the family and would rather have skipped it. But he couldn’t since his father demanded that he and Luhan had to be present. Sehun didn’t know why he needed to be there though, mainly because his father wasn’t exactly too keen on forcing him or his brother to do stuff. So whatever it was, it had to be important.

The dinner started off just like any other day. With Eunbi’s mother trying to make conversation and with the three teenagers keeping quiet. Neither Eunbi, Sehun, or Luhan wanted to participate and instead ate in silence. It was only the two adults talking. Eunbi especially, was immersed in her own thoughts. She glanced at the clock every other minute, eager for the coming day to arrive so she could go skiing with Yixing, Tao and Kai. Normally it would’ve been alright like that. With Eunbi spacing out and concentrating on her own things. She did that pretty often. The only difference this time around was that her mother and stepfather had something they wanted to say.

“Eunbi. Could you please listen to what we’re about to say?” the girl nodded at her mother’s request. A bit distracted by Luhan, who, for some reason thought it would be fun to stick his tongue out. The sight was disgusting and she tried to kick his leg under the table. Only to end up hitting Sehun instead. The latter frowned and instantly turned his attention towards her, to which Eunbi gave him a weak smile. Sehun said nothing.

“I want every one of you to listen carefully now because what I’m about to say is important and I don’t want to repeat myself. Am I clear?” Eunbi understood right away that this wouldn’t be anything good. Her stepfather was about to inform them of something Eunbi didn’t want to hear. She was so certain of it that she sighed.

“There’s a problem with a contract so we have to fly over to Japan tomorrow morning.” this was exactly what Eunbi was referring to. It was only three days left till Christmas and both adults were leaving for another country in less than twelve hours. Eunbi wasn’t too happy about that as there was a possibility that her mother would miss out on the Christmas celebration.

“But you’re coming home in time for Christmas, right?” she needed to ask, more so since it was such a special occasion. Christmas had always been a Holiday Eunbi looked forward to. So to her, it was important that her mother would be home.

“We don’t know for now. It all depends about how it goes tomorrow.” displeased with the answer, Eunbi sighed once again, her appetite suddenly gone. She couldn’t even feel joy over the fact that Luhan would leave for Thailand the next coming day. Something that normally would’ve made her at ease.

“Seems like you’re going to be stuck with Sehun.” Luhan stated with a smile. The reaction he expected, with Eunbi complaining and making a fuzz, never came though. And he frowned for he’d hoped she would have made a scene. He’d been so certain that she would object that he was left disappointed when all she did was shrug her shoulders, like she couldn’t care less. Not really what he’d looked forward to.

“Speaking of Sehun. I’ve talked to Yixing’s parents and arranged so that he’ll go together with you to the ski resort tomorrow.” this was news for both Eunbi and Sehun, who instinctively exchanged glances. The latter was especially disapproving of the information and was not late to make that known.

“I’m not going.” he couldn’t ski, he disliked cold weather and would never head outside in freezing temperatures willingly. And last but not least, he hated Yixing. The other male was just too much for Sehun. But despite all that, he found himself seated next to a not-too-pleased Eunbi the following morning. The van were filled with various equipment and to his irritation, Yixing, Tao and Kai were all trying to spark up a conversation, one he wanted no part in. Eunbi on the other hand, joined in and it didn’t take long before Sehun had enough. Annoyed, he put on his headphones and let the music lull him to sleep.

When he woke up again, the car had come to a stop and it was with mild interest that he glanced out the window. The whole ski resort was painted in white and countless of people were enjoying their day out in the snow. Sehun tucked away his headphones and cell phone before he made his way outside. A low curse slipped past his lips and he shuddered when the cold weather wrapped itself around him. Nothing could possibly have prepared him for that moment. Not even the temperature in Seoul was this low and it was with a frown that he headed over to Eunbi and the other three. The frown deepened as he caught sight of Eunbi and Yixing and how they were holding hands. It shouldn’t have bothered him so much. But it did and Sehun walked off without having said a single word. He needed a drink.

Eunbi stared after the male as he went. She wondered where he was going and why he hadn’t said anything before heading off. She decided to shrug it off and instead shifted her attention back to Yixing, who was talking about what they were going to do. Eunbi listened intently even though she barely understood anything he was referring to. One thing she did understand though, they would start off with the equipment. Everything Eunbi brought with her was especially purchased just for this moment and it was safe to say she was excited and nervous all at once. That her mother had left for Japan just hours earlier was long forgotten as the four of them retrieved their belongings and headed over to the lodge.

Sehun sat at the bar, sulking, when Eunbi walked inside. He’d not been allowed to buy any alcoholic beverages and was far from happy about it. And if the trip hadn’t already been bad enough, this surely made it worse. There was nothing he could do now because the bar was the only thing he’d looked forward to. Due to the lack of anything to do, he got up, walked over to Eunbi, and said that he would take the bus home.

“No. You can’t go home.” she couldn’t let Sehun leave. Not after what her mother said earlier that morning. Apparently, the older woman thought they would ditch Sehun, which meant Eunbi was at risk of being grounded if she didn’t include the older male in the activities. In other words, she needed to include Sehun whether she liked it or not.

Sehun stared at the girl, his stoic expression obvious.

“I don’t want to be here.” he scowled and to make matters worse, Yixing appeared, something that further increased the irritation Sehun felt. He didn’t show it though, the annoyance that were slowly building up within.

“But my mom sa -.” Sehun cut her off before she was able to finish.

“I won’t tell.” his goal wasn’t to get Eunbi in trouble. But rather to get home. Anything was better than having to spend the whole day there. Eunbi was quite hesitant however, because she didn’t know if she could trust him. Sure, he was starting to behave better and better. But he was far from having earned her respect and trust.

“Is something wrong?” Yixing asked as he glanced between Eunbi and Sehun. The latter ignored the question, completely unaware of the fact that Eunbi was waiting for him to answer. So when he didn’t, she had to.

“No. He’s jus -.” once again did Sehun interrupt.

“I’m leaving. Have fun.” with that said, he his heel and headed for the door. Thereby leaving a confused and somewhat uneasy Eunbi behind. A part of her feared that Sehun would reveal it all to her mother, how he’d left the resort almost immediately after they arrived. Then again, she couldn’t force him into staying.