37

Forbidden Boys

 

 

Friday rolled around sooner than she’d expected and she was incredibly nervous when school came to an end. The days that’d lead up to that moment was far from enough and Eunbi felt her heart thump faster and faster as she headed down to the school entrance. Ahbin knew nothing of her plans with Yixing, mainly because she thought it wouldn’t really matter whether she told her friend or not. It wasn’t like it was a date or anything. Even so, Eunbi was somewhat anxious of what Ahbin might think if she were to find out. Luckily, the other girl had already left school minutes earlier, saying something about how she needed to help her mother with a few things.


Yixing stood at the entrance once she got down, his usual smile on his lips.


“Ready to go?” she nodded, suddenly feeling quite giddy. The nervousness was still there, albeit the more part of it had left way for anticipation. Eunbi was curious of where they were going, more so since he hadn’t told her anything. Well, she couldn’t say she’d asked about the location they were visiting. She put her trust in him, that he’d found a nice place. So when the two entered a bus further down the street, she said nothing and instead followed after Yixing, who gave her a reassuring smile. Eunbi blushed when he sat down right next to her.


“I’m not kidnapping you, just so you know.” his supposed-to-be-joke only caused her heart to flutter, something it wouldn’t have if it’d been Luhan or Sehun saying the exact same thing. Eunbi would’ve screamed and made a lot of ruckus if any of them dragged her on a bus like that. She hadn’t been too happy earlier that week, when she and Sehun was in Hongdae and he forced her along despite the fact that she was talking to Yixing and Tao, who’d both asked whether she was okay the day after.


The rest of the ride was mainly filled with Yixing asking her all kinds of questions regarding school, what she wanted to do in the future, and how it’d been to live in Daegu. They were all questions she answered as best as she could, especially about Daegu as it held such a big part in her life. The whole future part was a tad more difficult though, since Eunbi was still unsure of what she wanted. It wasn’t something that was simply decided overnight. It needed to be thought through and as far as Eunbi was concerned, she were yet to find a career she found interesting. Yixing on the other hand, explained with enthusiasm she’d never seen before, how he’d already been admitted to Korea National Sports University starting from the spring. The mentioning of that reminded Eunbi how he would graduation high school in two months. A realization that made her quite sad. Then again, Luhan, too, would graduate.


“We’re here.” Eunbi tore her gaze from Yixing and looked out the window and at the skating rink on the other side of the road. The place was packed with people of different ages, and they were lucky to find skates that fit, for there weren’t many of them left to choose from. Another problem surfaced soon enough, after they’d stepped onto the ice. Because even though she managed to stay on her feet, she noticed Yixing had a harder time doing so as he wobbled and gripped onto the railing. The sight was comical in a way and Eunbi couldn’t help herself from smiling. She’d always pictured him as being perfect at everything since he was so good at sports and with school. But so was obviously not the case seeing how much trouble he was having. Without hesitation, Eunbi reached out and took a gentle hold of his hand. The action was so innocent and out of nothing but pure kindness that she didn’t even blush or become flustered. At least not until a moment or so later, after Yixing leaned into her to keep himself steady.


“I’m not as good at this as I thought.” the male laughed all the whilst he tried to make way forward. It took time and Eunbi had to make sure he remained upright. It really looked like he had no idea how to skate.


“Bend your knees.” Eunbi instructed in a gentle manner, and Yixing did as told, only to find it considerably easier to move. But that didn’t mean he let go off the younger girl for he wanted her to stay by his side in case he’d falter or needed help. Eunbi didn’t mind though, she was more than glad by the turn of events and took the opportunity to enjoy it as much as she could. Moments like that were hard to come by and she decided to make the best of it even though her heart was racing and she felt nervous. It was a nice break from her everyday life, more importantly, from Luhan and Sehun. The former had, during the past couple of days, acted rather weird. Luhan hadn’t made any advance, neither at home or in school and it was safe to say Eunbi found the whole ordeal bothersome. That he’d suddenly started to act like an adult seemed highly unlikely. And that Sehun’s words affected him was just as doubtful since he wasn’t a person to listen to anyone, especially not his younger brother.


“I’m sorry for this. I didn’t mean for you to teach me how to skate.” Eunbi shook her head. She thought the situation was rather cute and wouldn’t trade it for anything else. Plus, it was nice to see he had flaws. It made her a little less anxious about her own for a while. She was so preoccupied with Yixing that she barely noticed the kids who snickered and glanced their way as they passed them by. None of it mattered to Eunbi, for all her attention was on the older male, who, just as he tried to turn around, lost his balance and pulled the younger girl down with him. It all happened so fast and that she managed to ease the fall with her hands was nothing but pure luck. It hurt a bit though, and Eunbi wished she’d changed into something warmer and more comfortable than her school uniform before heading out.


“Ouch that hurt.” Yixing frowned as he sat up and scanned his clothes, an ordeal that was quickly taken care of before his gaze flickered over to Eunbi, whom he noticed looked quite taken by the incident. He felt bad when he saw how her right knee was bleeding, a line of blood had already begun to trickle down the skin and formed a pool on the ice. Eunbi were yet to discover the wound and the red liquid she feared with such a passion that she let out a sound of disgust when she finally did. It would be an understatement to say she didn’t panic, because the said girl stood up in haste, not caring about the pain that shot up her leg, and then gave Yixing a look of despair. She needed to get the blood away. Yixing seemed to have realized that, for he slipped an arm around her waist and slowly lead her over to the lodge located right next to the rink.


Countless of people were already inside and a few of them showed up by their side as they entered, some of them asking if she was alright and whether they should go get a first aid kit. Eunbi paid no attention to them though, as her mind saw nothing but the blood and the wound and the blood, and the blood, and -. Eunbi felt her gag reflexes work and immediately tried to subside the feeling by swallowing several times. She didn’t want to throw up then and there, especially not in front of Yixing.


“Wait here till I get back.” Yixing darted off and she did her very best to not think about the red substance. A task harder said than done as more people crowded around and continued to remind her by questioning if she needed help. Eunbi shook her head at all of them, only to feel immense relief settle deep within once the older male returned with an aid kit and her shoes. He gave her a reassuring smile, an expression she acknowledged before turning her head the other way. She couldn’t watch him as he tended her wound, a reaction anyone could relate to. More importantly, it eased her want to vomit. The lack of wanting to know what was happening came with a price though, because her mind wandered off and without even realizing it, she started to think about Sehun and the dinner he’d paid for a couple of days earlier. It didn’t even occur to her what she was actually thinking about until Yixing called her name.


“You can look now. It’s all fixed.” she moved about and looked down at her knee and the place where she’d scraped it, only to see a fairly large plaster covering the spot. There wasn’t a single trace of blood either, and Eunbi felt herself relax, relieved that Yixing helped her out not only with the wound, but also with her shoes.


“Does it hurt a lot?” a question that should’ve been easy to answer, but not to Eunbi, who couldn’t pinpoint whether it was pain or something else. It didn’t exactly hurt, it was more a feeling of throbbing, a sensation that increased as she stood up.


“No. Not really.” as to prove her point, she took a step forward. Okay. It hurt a little maybe, but not to such an extent it was a problem or anything. Yixing was a bit skeptical though, about the fact that she was feeling alright. More so since Eunbi, whether she believed it or, seemed to have some difficulties walking. Anyone could easily see she was limping on her right leg, and Yixing was not late to latch onto her hand before asking her if she wanted to head home. Eunbi shook her head.


“Can’t we do something else?” she’d rather stay away for as long as possible, because even though she was certain neither Luhan or Sehun was home, she could still be wrong. They could’ve made a last minute change, and since her mother and step-father hadn’t returned from Tokyo, Eunbi couldn’t expect any help if she needed it. There were still too many things that made her anxious and she wasn’t entirely sure if she could trust Sehun just yet, and because of that, Eunbi wished Yixing would come up with something else. Another activity that meant she would be busy for yet an hour or two.


“Dinner? My treat since it’s my fault you injured yourself.” Eunbi accepted the invite without a second thought and it was with a small limp that she followed after Yixing, who’d not let go off her hand. Much to her relief they found a place to eat at pretty quick, and it was with an ever rising pulse that Eunbi watched Yixing from across the table. The walk from the skating rink to the restaurant hadn’t been long, but more than enough to increase the throbbing in her knee. The uneasiness caused by the injury and the fact that Yixing sat in front of her made Eunbi a bit self aware and cautious of her actions and the way she ate. Yixing paid no attention to that though, for he was too absorbed in his own thoughts to even notice. He was trying to come up with things to say as to not make it awkward.


“Are you doing anything during winter break?” no plans had been made and Eunbi believed they would all stay home during Christmas and New Year. Then again, she couldn’t be entirely certain considering the fact that it was different this year, with them having moved to Seoul and into a new home with three other people. Maybe Luhan, Sehun and their father had some kind of tradition. Eunbi found that pretty hard to believe, but it wasn’t impossible.


“Don’t think so.” she looked up from her plate of food as she answered, her pulse suddenly skyrocketing as their gazes locked and he gave her a shy smile. The reaction from her side was immediate and she felt herself blush when he continued.


“I was just wondering because Kai, Tao and I are going to a ski resort one of those days, and maybe you’d want to come?” Eunbi felt a surge of adrenaline shot throughout at the possibility of spending a whole day with Yixing. That Kai and Tao would follow wasn’t a problem or anything she cared about. Nor did she spend a single thought to the fact that she couldn’t ski, how she’d never done it in her entire life, before replying.


“Really? Would that be okay?” what if Kai and Tao didn’t want her to tag along. Maybe the two wanted it to just be the three of them. Not that anything was certain seeing how Eunbi would have to ask her mother for permission first, something she sure wasn’t looking forward to. Eunbi had no idea either, where this ski resort was located and that could be an issue because she’d never been allowed to go anywhere alone and without supervision from an adult. Eunbi thought the whole thing was ridiculously stupid and promised herself that she would go no matter what.


“Yeah, why wouldn’t it.” he smiled and that was enough to convince Eunbi.


Yixing followed her home after they’d finished eating, and that even though she’d assured him he didn’t have to. But he’d insisted, saying something about how he wanted to be sure she got back safe and sound. Eunbi hadn’t objected to that and instead let him accompany her. And she felt giddy all over again, her heart racing and thoughts swirling, as he walked alongside her. It was a surreal feeling. One that left Eunbi’s imagination running wild. She couldn’t help it. She couldn’t help herself from imaginating all kinds of things. So when they arrived at her house, the snowfall finally having ceased for the day and yet again buried the streets in white glitter, Eunbi spun around to face Yixing, who’d also come to a halt at the gate, and glanced up to meet his eyes.


“It was lots of fun,” she paused, smiled, looked down at her knee, and then locked eyes with Yixing again.


“Maybe not that. But everything else.” she referred to the little incident on the ice, a memory still so fresh in mind that she shuddered.


“Yeah. I guess that’s understandable.” he returned the smile, though in a more apologetic way for having caused the ordeal, before he extended his hand and took a hold of hers. It was a rather bold and kind of out of the blue approach. But it didn’t matter. Not to Yixing, who pulled her closer. The action had Eunbi reacting, her eyes widening ever so slightly as he suddenly reached up and cupped her chin with his glove covered hand. The whole thing felt a bit confusing, though she was far from complaining when he leaned down and closed the gap between them.  


It was gentle and tender and it was soft lips pressing against hers. It was innocent and sweet and it was everything anyone would want. It was unbelievable and it was dreamlike and it was actually happening.


She was kissing Yixing.


And fireworks were going off inside her heart.


“Eunbi?” the two teenagers pulled away from one another in a hurry, both of them quite embarrassed to be caught in such an intimate situation. More so since the person who’d called out Eunbi’s name was none other than her own mother, who, along with her stepfather, stood just mere meters from Yixing and her. To say Eunbi was flustered would be an understatement, and it sure only got worse as she listened to her mother. The latter seemed determined to find out everything there were about Yixing.


“What’s your name? Do you go to the same school as Eunbi? Are you two together?” Eunbi wanted nothing more than to stick her head into the snow and forget all about her mother and the way the older woman was behaving. It was ridiculously embarrassing and she felt sorry for Yixing. And it was about then, when she finally thought things couldn’t get worse, that she was once again proved wrong by her own mother, who spoke yet again.


“Why don’t you come over for dinner tomorrow?” Eunbi knew she was doomed, mainly because she knew her mother wouldn’t take no for an answer.