untitled

tintinnabulation: a series of chansoo drabbles/one shots
in which sehun is a baby and chanyeol is left to take care of him after kyungsoo comes down with the flu and sehun's mommy is on vacation
 

in the middle of the summer, kyungsoo comes down with something. chanyeol thinks it may be the flu, but kyungsoo groans and stuffs his face into the pillow beneath his head, saying, “park chanyeol, it is not flu season,” and “go get me some cold soup.”

so, chanyeol’s in the kitchen and getting soup from the refrigerator when he hears kyungsoo’s (hoarse) voice shout from their bedroom, “honey, don’t forget to check up on sehun!”

. the baby (toddler? chanyeol’s not sure). chanyeol almost forgot about the baby. setting the cold bowl of soup down, he sprints into the guest room of his and kyungsoo’s apartment to check on sehun, who’s still asleep on the twin-sized mattress set up on the ground. sehun’s got a thumb in his mouth and blankets covering his body. chanyeol knows better than to leave a baby unattended, but what’s the point if the baby is sleeping?

chanyeol goes back into the kitchen and fetches kyungsoo his soup, going back into the bedroom kyungsoo is resting in. kyungsoo’s half but drowning in blankets and chanyeol feels so bad because, aw, his baby has a fever of 101.3 degrees fahreheit, he is the same temperature as it is outside.

“are you okay?” chanyeol asks.

“no,” kyungsoo shoves his face into the pillow with a groan and chanyeol squats down to be eye-level with him. he sets the bowl on the nightstand. “how’s the baby?”

“asleep.” chanyeol says, reaching over to pat kyungsoo’s back.

then, a child’s voice at the door, “no.”

both chanyeol and kyungsoo look up at the door and see sehun standing there with a blanket in his hand and a displeased expression on his face.

“oh, sehun,” kyungsoo says, voice raspy.

“hey, that’s me!” sehun’s expression changes dramatically, his frown turning into a smile.

kyungsoo laughs and nods. “yes, that’s right.”

“uncle kyungsoo,” sehun says, pointing at kyungsoo on the bed.

“hm?”

“are you okay?” sehun shuffles into the room, tripping on the comforter in his hand. “you sound funny.”

sehun pushes chanyeol aside and kyungsoo stifles a laugh, nodding. chanyeol almost looks hurt, but instead just stares at sehun, trying to climb onto the bed.

“i’m a little sick,” kyungsoo says. “don’t get too close! my germs will get on you and you’ll get sick.”

“oh,” sehun says, halting his attempts to get on the bed. “no doctor, please.”

kyungsoo gives sehun a smile. “you won’t have to go to the doctor if you stay away for a little bit, okay?”

“what do i do then?” sehun whines, pouting. kyungsoo pouts in return, teasing the child.

“play with uncle chanyeol.”

chanyeol and sehun meet eyes. sehun’s pout only deepens before he shakes his head vigorously, his entire body shaking with the force of his action. chanyeol tries smiling at sehun but sehun only huffs, squinting at chanyeol and saying, “i don’t wanna.”

“why not?” kyungsoo asks.

“he’s stupid,” sehun sticks his tongue out at chanyeol and kyungsoo slaps a hand over his own mouth. “i don’t like him.”

“sehun,” kyungsoo says from behind his hand. “that’s not very nice. he’s your uncle, too, you know.”

chanyeol stays motionless and lets kyungsoo take care of this. kyungsoo looks at chanyeol, shooting him a glare before chanyeol decides he has to do something about this.

“come on, sehun,” chanyeol tries. “we can watch blue’s clues.”

sehun squints at chanyeol again and chanyeol gives him the best smile he can muster.

“okay,” sehun says. chanyeol holds his hand out for sehun’s smaller one and sehun turns his head away with a huff. “no. go.” he pushes chanyeol on the shoulder and chanyeol stands up, leading sehun into the living room.
♥ ♥ ♥

sehun crosses his arms and stares at the television screen. he pouts very deeply and chanyeol can’t stop worrying, so the older reaches over and taps sehun on the small shoulder, asking, “sehun, what’s wrong?”

“don’t talk to me.” sehun says. he scoots farther away on the loveseat.

today is the third day sehun has been in chanyeol and kyungsoo’s house but today is the first day that kyungsoo has been sick and unable to do anything. from the get-go, sehun already didn’t like chanyeol, even before chanyeol was given the task of babysitting him.

sehun is chanyeol’s big sister’s (yura) baby, standing at 106 centimeters and weighing 17 1/2***** kilograms. he’s got a lot of sass for a 4-year-old, and for some reason, since his birth, he has hated chanyeol with as much passion a child could have.

“why not?” chanyeol asks, following sehun’s trail on the couch’s cushions.

“i don’t like you.” sehun responds, still staring at the television screen, where steve from blue’s clues is ready to blue-skidoo.

“why don’t you like me?” chanyeol asks, exasperated. he doesn’t know how to take care of a child who doesn’t like him. heck, sehun doesn’t even have to like him, he just wants sehun to tolerate him so his sister won’t kill him when he tells her, sehun didn’t want me to give him food so he only had two meals a day for three days.

sehun looks over at chanyeol, squinting. “you’re stupid! i’m hungry.”

“okay, what do you want to eat?” chanyeol asks.

“i don’t know.” sehun says.

“do you want to go into the kitchen?” chanyeol asks.

“why?” sehun asks.

“you can look at the food we have,” chanyeol nods and gives sehun a smile. “your mommy left you some snacks you like.”

“really? how?” sehun asks.

“before she went on vacation with your daddy, she gave us your favorite snacks.” chanyeol holds his hand out to sehun and sehun returns to his bratty-kid state, jumping off the couch and trotting into the kitchen by himself.

chanyeol follows behind him with an exasperated sigh.
♥ ♥ ♥

when they’re in the kitchen, chanyeol lets sehun look at the bag of snacks yura left him. chanyeol crouches down so he’s eye level with sehun, not wanting to tower over the child.

“i want this one,” sehun reaches into the bag and pulls out a bag of cinnamon-raisin bagels. “can i have this one?”

“yes, of course you can have this one.” chanyeol reaches over for the bag and opens it, pulling half a bagel out and handing it to sehun. sehun glares at chanyeol and snatches the bagel away, running back into the living room.
♥ ♥ ♥

they’re back on the couch and sehun is starting to get sleepy again. chanyeol knows this because he can see sehun’s eyelids drooping and his posture falling. the bagel hangs from his mouth as he stares at the television, still watching blue’s clues.

“sehun, are you sleepy?” sehun looks over at chanyeol and his bagel falls out of his mouth as he begins to wail for no reason. chanyeol immediately scoots to his side and gathers the child up in his arms. sehun hits chanyeol in the face with his small hands.

“calm down, it’s okay, it’s okay. uncle chanyeol is here, it’s okay.” chanyeol says as he tries to rock sehun in his arms. sehun cries harder and keeps trying to hit chanyeol in the face.

“i miss my mommy!!!!” sehun wails. “i want my mommy, you’re not my mommy!!!!!!”

“it’s okay, mommy will be back soon.” chanyeol tries to calm sehun down, rubbing his back.

“but i want her now!!!” sehun sniffles continues to sob uncontrollably, clawing at chanyeol’s face now. “noooow!!!”

“she’ll be home soon, just wait, okay?” sehun screams at chanyeol after he says this and flails his limbs around. chanyeol continues to pat sehun on the back as he reaches over to the coffee table and grabs a tissue. he brings it up to sehun’s face and wipes up his tears, afterwards bringing it to sehun’s nose and prompting, “blow.”

sehun blows his nose and chanyeol thinks he’s making some progress with this kid even though he’s got a snotty tissue in his hand.

“i miss mommy! and daddy! i don’t like you,” sehun screams. “you’re not daddy or mommy.”

“i know, i know,” chanyeol sets the tissue down and uses his hand to wipe up sehun’s fat tears. “they will be home soon, okay?”

sehun continues to cry and chanyeol doesn’t think he knows what to do anymore, so he just reassures sehun with a, “it’s okay” from time to time as sehun wails into his face.
♥ ♥ ♥

sehun stops crying after what seems to be an eternity and settles down on chanyeol’s chest. chanyeol lies down on the loveseat, his limbs falling off the edges as he cradles sehun against his chest, continuing to pat the child’s back. sehun keeps sniffling and hiccuping.

“are you thirsty, sehun?” chanyeol asks. sehun shakes his head.

“are you hungry, sehun?” chanyeol asks. sehun shakes his head.

“are you tired, sehun?” chanyeol asks. sehun nods.

“you can sleep.” chanyeol says. sehun nods.

“i miss mommy,” sehun stutters. “i want her to come home.”

“it’s okay, you have uncle kyungsoo and i for now, is that okay?” chanyeol asks. sehun shakes his head. “sleep.”

chanyeol pats sehun’s back and sehun’s sniffles begin to die down. chanyeol can tell that sehun is going back to his sleepy state, so he mindlessly lulls sehun to slumber.
♥ ♥ ♥

kyungsoo, a few hours later, gets out of bed and goes into the living room to check up on chanyeol and sehun. he’d heard the crying earlier but thought very little of it.

when he approaches the couch, he sees sehun, curled up on top of chanyeol and chanyeol asleep beneath him. the both of them have their heads lolled to the side and kyungsoo thinks the sight warms his heart. he picks up a throw blanket from the lazyboy beside the couch and drapes it over the both of them, pressing a kiss to the both of their foreheads.

********AUTHOR'S EDIT (3/12/14): THIS LINE ORIGINALLY SAID '38 KILOGRAMS', BUT NO, I MEANT POUNDS.

BABY SEHUN IS NOT 83 POUNDS

THANKS @kiramekii27