06. Deep

Phoenix Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 6: Deep

Deep was an architectural oxymoron. Cresting the Empire Hotel in the poshest district of Seoul, it was a labyrinth of winding white walkways and round tables propped atop a shallow basin of water. Cool neon lighting illuminated still waters underfoot in shades of indigo, viridian, and violet, and thin railings kept patrons both saucy and sober on the floor, and out of the water. Roofed in glass, the futurist lounge was an observatory of the stars - both cosmic and earthbound. Within the pulsing bubble, throbbing bass and fluid electro melded and flowed into racier beats, recognizable hits remixed for an electronic appetite, amongst them tracks from Kris' third EP. 

 

Doing shots with Executive Lee was always a bad idea - something Baekhyun tended to forget until it was too late. The former dancer turned choreographer--Creative Director was about as executive as Baekhyun's pinky finger. He threw back the Jack with an insatiable zeal that made Baekhyun look like a teetotaller - and the man managed to handle the liquor well to boot. Baekhyun attributed it to his insurmountable metabolism, which had yet to show the slightest signs of slowing - unlike his own - then again, hours spent in the studios daily did far more to keep the excess off than an office job did. Executive Lee was a beast on the dance floor and at the bar - and by bemusing contrast, an absolute kitten everywhere else.

 

"To Kris!" bellowed the group clustered tightly around the table, and lifted shot glasses with the artist himself, not for the first time that night. A few reached for chasers, Baekhyun among them. He was a hazy shot count deep and the hour was barely scraping midnight. It seemed the only one who was lagging behind him was Jessica, CEO Park's young wife - and Kris' manager.

 

With a cheerful smile, she leaned slightly against Baekhyun's shoulder. "Baekhyun-ah, it's good to see you around," she effervesced gently. While whispers still circulated around the blond though the news was years old, Baekhyun had rejected the gossip and come to his own conclusions. Jessica Jung was an enterprising young woman with tact and mettle that surpassed that of many men, and he respected that she stood her ground and got her way. There weren't many women managers in the industry, and even less common were women who refused to leave the job when marrying within the workplace. To some, she was a brazen example of the "deteriorating dignity of womankind" as the traditionalists outcried, and not a few men - and women - around the office continued to make such remarks to this day. To others, like Baekhyun, she was a welcome anomaly in a sea of dependent and superficial gold-diggers.

 

"How are you, noona?" he replied with a smile and lifted his glass to hers. The spot of camaraderie in his day was welcome; he appreciated the presence of the calm, collected businesswoman. JaeHee could stand to learn a thing or two from her - but that was neither here nor there. He took a long sip of his drink.

 

"You know how it is," she smiled and flapped an elegant hand bejeweled with a sizeable rock. "Kris' promotion schedule will take over my life for the next few months. The hype is so high on this record that given the success of the sophomore album they're already reworking the budgets to extend the promotional period."

 

"Congratulations," Baekhyun grinned wryly, "Success at the price of life... mm, it's still a good life isn't it?" Verging on drunk, he was cheerfully saucy, ensconced in familiar crowds of colleagues and industry big-wigs.

 

"I'll drink to that," she laughed and tipped her glass to him. As she was called over to the neighboring table, she glanced back at Baekhyun and gave his arm a light squeeze. "I'll see you around, sweetie. Tell me if I miss anything good." She waved and slipped away, tottering skillfully on skyscraper stilettos to the CEO's adjoining table.

 

Baekhyun bid her adieu and polished off his drink. He'd never fully understand how a woman his age could marry someone nearly twice their age, but it wasn't his business to pry.

 

The group fragmented and new faces crammed in around the table; fresh libations were poured. Cajoled into another round, then two and three - though Kris himself had stepped away to speak with other guests - Baekhyun rode the rapids of his colleagues and comrades' enthusiasm and slipped steadily from tipsy to drunk.

 

It was awhile later, after a much needed restroom run, that he managed to escape the binging party to mingle. He wound his way to the bar for a proper cocktail as it was rather more conducive to schmoozing. Equipped with a lychee martini, he turned with the intent to seek out familiar faces, only to come face to face with a dark leather jacket as an arm reached around him toward the bar.

 

"Ah! Sorry-" Baekhyun was quick to pull back his glass before looking up to see which beanpole he'd nearly watered. He wasn't short, but the industry attracted unusually tall men. The shoulder in his face brought to mind the height of Executive Lee or Kris. But Kris was in a white blazer, and Lee Joon was audible from across the room.

 

"Well well well. Look what the cat dragged in." Kris's voice broke through the din. The body in front of Baekhyun was turned and pulled away--and into a one-armed embrace by the tall rap artist, who hadn't noticed Baekhyun's presence. "Keeping a low profile, huh. Were you even planning to say hello?" the soft-voiced rapper asked, all white teeth and unlikely eye smiles. "I'm honored you showed up."

 

The man in the leather jacket had on a hoodie underneath, the hood drawn up and over, along with dark sunglasses. Baekhyun knew the look of a celebrity trying not to be noticed and wondered who it was.

 

"Ah, drop the act, Kris," the man replied dryly, thumping the rapper back with a firm hug. His voice was deep, a little rough like he'd just woken from a deep sleep, but softer about the consonants than Kris'. Was it his imagination or did it sound familiar?

 

"Your drink, sir," the bartender behind Baekhyun hailed the stranger's attention. He turned, and Baekhyun's mouth went dry. Long auburn hair was visible beneath the hood, brushing a chain necklace Baekhyun had nearly memorized from afar.

 

"Phoenix?" Baekhyun blurted out before he could stuff the name back inside his traitorous mouth. His brain to mouth filter had clearly taken a few shots for the team.

 

Surprise, recognition, and something more flashed across the guitarist's face. "Oh--" he stalled, tilting his glasses down. A smile rather different than the one he'd offered Kris slowly pulled at his lips. "--Hi." It wasn't quite 'hi' nor 'hey' but something slower. Smoother. Familiar in between.

 

Leaning close, Phoenix reached past Baekhyun and retrieved his drink from the bar. "Kris, I'm not sticking around," he informed the blonde, stepping back out of Baekhyun's space to give the rapper's shoulder a squeeze.  "Congrats, man. Keep it up." Baekhyun was left with a whiff of cologne, something spicy and warm.

 

Kris' smile was wry with acceptance, but good-natured nonetheless. He nodded to both Phoenix and Baekhyun. "If you change your mind, there'll always be a place for you," Kris offered quietly as he gave Phoenix a parting embrace. Clapping the guitarist on the back, he tipped a nod to Baekhyun. "Later, gentlemen. Time to make the rounds." He gestured to the crowds before departing.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter