44. Converge

Phoenix Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Chapter 44: Converge

          "Ah!" Baekhyun winced and tried not to move as Jongdae cleaned around the cut on his head with an astringent swab. He had the sense to look abashed as his associate once again proved himself indispensible, but it gnawed at him to sit still with adrenaline still high in his veins. Jongdae had insisted despite Baekhyun's protests that he at least clean up the blood, and for that Baekhyun was privately grateful. In the convenience store bag Jongdae had brought back were a few other items besides a makeshift first aid kit, a hangover cure, painkillers, and some snacks, too. Baekhyun pondered the fact that his associate knew him too well, now more than ever.

     Jongdae had offered no comment about the situation, but the silence between them felt bated. Baekhyun glanced up at him from under dark fringe, searching for some clue in his face as to how he felt about all this new information. But Jongdae simply looked focused and grim. A small but alarming pile of reddened swabs had accumulated on the coffee table beside them.

     "Where'd you learn to do this?" Baekhyun asked, breaking the silence.

     Jongdae shrugged. "It's just basic first aid. Besides, if I told you to go to the hospital you probably wouldn't listen. Though you do need to get stitches because I don't think a bandaid will work." Jongdae grinned wryly.

     Baekhyun grunted some form of accord and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. As always, Jongdae was right.

     "The last half year makes a lot more sense now," Jongdae said mildly as he swept the bloody swabs into the trash bin. 

     Baekhyun stood up, half expecting the room to spin. When it didn't, he rejoiced. "Does it?" He asked, both obtuse and blithe all at once.

     "I could tell you were having trouble with Jaehee since a while back," Jongdae said, standing before the desk. "I didn't realize it was because of this."

     "It wasn't because of this," Baekhyun looke up sharply. He sat down across from Jongdae at his desk. "This came after."

     "I'm not judging you," Jongdae said quickly, looking concerned, and Baekhyun immediately felt bad for snapping to defend himself. At this rate, he would make foes of friends by simply opening his mouth.

     "I know," Baekhyun said with a sigh and washed his hands over his face. "I just feel really strange having you know about this. My personal life shouldn't be your burden or concern. This shouldn't have ever come up at work."

     "Given the circumstances, it sounds like it was inevitable," Jongdae said equably.

     Baekhyun had nothing to say that wasn't trite or downright pitiful. Jongdae continued.

     "For what it's worth, don't worry about me knowing. I've put you in a cab after a night of drinking with clients, and bought you new phones when you've lost yours, and seen you hungover more mornings than I can count. I know that's all par for the course, but I feel like we're pretty far past formalities."

     Baekhyun smiled through a grimace. "As always, you're right. I honestly don't know what to say. I'm embarrassed as hell. But I'm grateful, for everything you've done."

     Jongdae looked at him through narrowed eyes. "Does this mean you'll listen to me about going to the hospital?"

     "Cheeky." 

     "I have my moments." Jongdae smiled smugly. "But seriously, go to the clinic at least."

     "I will," Baekhyun sighed and sat back, pointing at his head. "This just seems like the least of my problems, you know?"

     "Well you won't save your marriage or stop a lawsuit if you pass out from an untreated concussion."

     Baekhyun almost shot back that he'd already passed out once that day and woken up on the street and made out just fine. But he withheld the puerile comment, and instead raised the question that had been nagging him since Jongdae had agreed to be complicit.

     "Are you serious about getting mixed up in this? You don't have to. This could jeopardize your career too if things go downhill and you're found out."

     "I thought about that," Jongdae said slowly. "And while I really don't know what I can do to help, I want you to know you can count on me if you need to. Whether it's an alibi you need or something organized... to me it's no different than what I've already done for you. And if you need someone to keep Kris from killing you," he added, with candor that was not quite a joke.

     Baekhyun nodded. "Alright. I'll keep that in mind. I don't say it enough, but thanks, Jongdae. I owe you a lot."

     "Just remember me come annual review time," Jongdae grinned. "You're a better boss than most people could hope for. And you make me believe there's still hope for this cutthroat industry." Rising from his chair he dipped a shallow bow before excusing himself. "I'll see you this evening."

 

 

     Baekhyun had barely managed to get a bite of the croissant Jongdae had brought him before his phone rang with an incoming video call. At first he ignored it, shoving another bite in his mouth - how long had it been since he'd eaten anything? - but when his phone rang again he flipped it over and swiped to accept the call. Jessica's face swam into view.

     "Baekhyun!" She said, stage-whispering at him. She was pacing in a hallway, probably backstage at MNet, the steady click of her heels an agitated metronome. "Why was my artist late? He says it was your fault!"

     Baekhyun blinked widely, then his face morphed to a frown. "What did Kris say to you?"

     "That you held him up! What could possibly be so important that it couldn't wait til after the filming?"

     Baekhyun scratched his temple. "Um, well. It wasn't entirely my doing... I'm really sorry, noona."

     Jessica sighed. "What's going on, Baekhyun? Kris seems so on edge, he's not cooperating with anyone, it's not like him at all. Whatever business you had really set him off."

     Abashed in the face of Jessica's well-founded worries, Baekhyun felt bad for keeping the truth from her. Jessica had always been supportive and understanding. But while she was a trustworthy confidante who always had his back, there was the small complication that she was also the CEO's wife. Baekhyun sighed and looked at the screen, feeling very tired. "It's nothing... I'm sorry."

     "Are you sure, Baek? It's clearly something important - and it involves both of you. Wouldn't it be better to tell me?"

     "It's my mess and I'm going to clean it up. Kris is just... involved. I didn't even know he was until just earlier."

     "Baekhyun..." Jessica sighed, looking past her screen and waving to someone. "I have to go, but please rethink this. I've never seen Kris this riled up and you don't look convinced of a word you're saying to me right now. You can talk to me, you know." 

     Baekhyun smiled halfheartedly. "I know. I'll think about it. And I'm sorry for ticking off Kris. I'll do some damage control with the producers at MNet to make sure they forget this incident."

     Jessica gave him a long look, and Baekhyun felt vaguely as if she were looking right through him. "Okay. Take care of yourself, Baek. See you at the office." With that she hung up, leaving Baekhyun to sit back in his chair with a huff. He felt a spike of irritation at Kris for slinging all the blame at him, but all the same he was relieved the a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter