43. Collide

Phoenix Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Chapter 43: Collide

     Baekhyun stalked down the hall, nearly clotheslining a few people he passed on the way. Throwing himself into his office he let out a strangled scream and tangled his hands in his hair. How had it come to this?

     Chanyeol was a trainee. Chanyeol was going to be sued. CEO Park knew about them. CEO Park had believed his lie. But why?

     There was no way Chanyeol was responsible. No matter how he tried, he could not see Chanyeol's handiwork in this. He would have known-- hell, if he was a former trainee, he would have foreseen legal action coming down on him. Baekhyun shook his head to clear it. This was no time to let his thoughts become clouded. Chanyeol was not the one who had launched this attack. He was as much a victim as himself.

     Baekhyun yanked his phone from the charger and powered it on. He flipped past messages from Jaehee and went straight to his contacts. His fingers froze over the screen. Whom could he call? If he so much as contacted anyone from Chanyeol's side to warn them, he gave lie to his testimony - for that was what it was, now. He wondered if CEO Park had a grudge against Chanyeol. After all, under any other circumstances, anyone in Baekhyun's shoes would have been fired, escorted out, and been informed they'd receive a box with their belongings in a week, lie or not.

     It made no sense.

     "ing hell!" He cursed and swung his arm angrily across his desk, scattering papers and pens to the floor. He was trapped. Chanyeol was trapped. Whomever had done this was a sadistic bastard or very very smart. He let out an unhinged laugh. Could this get any worse?

     He barely looked up at the commotion outside his door. A moment later, though, it slammed open, nearly flying off its hinges. "Boss, I tried to stop him!" But Jongdae was no match for a man twice his size.

     In two long strides, Kris had crossed the office and planted his fist in Baekhyun's jaw. Baekhyun let out a shrill sound and his back connected with the wall as he spilled from his chair. The fist swung again, and Baekhyun ducked.

     "Kris! Kris, please stop!" Baekhyun wasn't sure if it was his voice or Jongdae's as he saw stars.

     "What did you do to him?!" Kris snarled, grabbing a fistful of Baekhyun's shirt. He shook him, slamming the back of his head against the wall.

     "I'm calling security!" Jongdae threatened. 

     "No!" Baekhyun and Kris both shouted at him in unison.

     "Kris--" Baekhyun struggled, voice hoarse as his air was cut off under Kris' long fingers. "It's not what you think--"

     "What part of Chanyeol getting sued isn't what I think?" Kris hissed with incredulity. "I'm giving you 30 seconds to explain this or I'm going to make sure you leave here on a stretcher." Kris' eyes were deadly serious, but he released the pressure on Baekhyun's throat.    

     Trembling as his vision swam, Baekhyun tried his best. "Someone-- someone leaked a rumor about me-- they think it was Chanyeol."

     "About you?" Kris looked disbelieving. He jerked Baekhyun towards the sofa, shoving him down as he stood over him, menacing and impatient.

     Baekhyun rubbed his neck, and sat where directed. "I just found out-- a rumor about Chanyeol and myself got to the CEO."

     "A rumor." Kris said flatly, thoroughly unimpressed. He crossed his arms and tapped his foot. He was fully dressed in costume for the filming of a show. For a moment Baekhyun wondered where Jessica was.

     "A rumor," Baekhyun said firmly, touching the back of his head gingerly. His fingers came away dark and wet. He closed his eyes and swallowed thickly. "Park asked me if it was true. Naturally, I said no. I wasn't even sure if we were talking about the same person. And now he's filing a lawsuit against Chanyeol."

     Kris looked at him with open disbelief. "Naturally, you said no? Byun. I used to think you were cool. But right now, I've a mind to knock your head against that ing wall til you come to your senses or black out, whichever comes first. I'm not picky."

     Baekhyun stood shakily and stared Kris down as best as he could with his vision going in and out and his stomach doing odd flips. "Clearly you know something that I don't know. Instead of threatening me, why don't you tell me what that is."

     "Park Chanyeol would never, ever, ever do something like this." Kris fumed. "To think he loves someone as spineless as you--" His face twisted with something that wasn't only disgust.

     Baekhyun blanched. "He what?" His voice was thin.

     "Don't play dumb with me, Byun," Kris grumbled darkly. "I am not in the mood."

     Baekhyun's throat worked. "I-- I'm not--. How did you-- how do you know?"

     Kris rolled his eyes. "How else? He told me. After you ran out on him like the coward you are."

     Baekhyun opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He stared at Kris, agape.

     "I know about you and him, Byun. I've known for a while. I know you're screwing your fiancee over, too, but that's neither here nor there. But I didn't know you were so heartless as to do this to him."

     "But I didn't do this!" Baekhyun exploded. He wrung his hands through his hair. "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter