40. Currents

Phoenix Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Chapter 40: Currents

"How are things at the office?" Baekhyun spoke into his phone as he picked his way through the stalls of the market.

"Not bad. Everyone's heads down getting this thing buttoned up. Legal's up to their ears in it." Jongdae lowered his voice. "I heard that in the contracts it says if the talent's dismissed for reasons that compromise the company, they can't appeal it or reveal it. It's like they don't even exist." He heard Jongdae snap his fingers. "But you probably knew that. Listen, how are you? What happened last night? I found a note on my desk from the retoucher, you know, the one working on LADY. Bet they're doing overtime right now."

"Oh," Baekhyun said, stopping in his tracks. An elderly lady jostled him out of the way with her cane. He apologized and bowed, then put the phone back to his ear. "Last night. Yeah." He cleared his throat. "Doctors say it's a case of exhaustion. They gave me a B12 shot and told me to sleep. Real helpful."

Jongdae clucked his tongue disapprovingly. "Where are you now? Doesn't sound like you're taking their advice."

"I'm picking up the pieces of what's left of my future marriage. Jaehee's furious at me for yesterday." Among other things, but Jongdae didn't need to know that. "My marriage will end before it's even begun at this rate." Baekhyun leaned over to sniff a bouquet of wildflowers and pointed it out to the shopkeeper.

"Alright, well get some rest, too. You've been worrying me."

Baekhyun sighed softly. It was so tempting to say more. Jongdae had always been a voice of reason, and more considerate towards him than most people in his life. Maybe the associate didn't know him well enough to know better. Perhaps it was better that way.

"Thanks Jongdae. Call me if anything happens, okay? I'll come in if I have to."

"I'll try not to," said Jongdae. "There's always more work. But there isn't always another chance."

Baekhyun could hear the smile in his voice, and took heart.

"Take care of yourself for once, boss. I'll hold down the fort."

 

 

The afternoon sun was mild and warm as Baekhyun walked along the river, a bouquet of wild lilies clutched in one hand. Up ahead, Hannam Bridge hummed with traffic coming and going from Sinsa. He strolled under its flyovers, following the river to the next neighborhood where Jaehee worked.

The schoolyard was empty. Baekhyun checked his watch. Classes would let out soon. He had not called ahead; planning hadn't seemed to work in his favor. Pulling out his phone, he sent Jaehee a message to let her know he was there, and sat down on a small stone bench in the garden to wait.

The small enclosure was green, there was life all around him. Baekhyun lifted his eyes to soak in the blue sky through the leaves of a flowering tree. He picked a fallen petal from the bench beside him and felt how tender it was between his fingertips, strong and yet so easily torn. Jaehee loved flowers, second only to children. He'd once hoped to be third, the next love of her life.

"Do you remember," she said, drawing him from reverie as she sat down beside him, "the day we met? Narsha had woven flowers in a crown around your head. You had your eyes closed when we joined you guys out on the green. She said you were sleeping, so we all tried to keep quiet, until you let out a snore so loud that you woke yourself. You were so flustered that you forgot the flowers in your hair and went to class with them in." Her laughter was soft as the breeze. She wrapped her arms around herself. "I couldn't keep my eyes off of you, after that."

Baekhyun flushed at the memory and looked up at the sky. "It was a good time in university. I never wanted it to end." Abashed, he held out the bouquet. "I'm sorry about yesterday."

Jaehee took them, lifting the blooms to inhale their scent. "They're lovely," she said, looking up to meet his eyes. "Thank you."

"Are you free now?" He ventured. "If you still have work to do, I can wait for you."

"I'm caught up," she said, dropping her eyes to the bouquet. "Though I should put these flowers in water." She stood up, pushing her hair behind her shoulder. "Come with me," she said, taking his hand in hers.

She led the way through the building, now empty of students all off to their extracurricular activities. "It's scary to think how much stress the kids are under. One of my boys is in 9 different after school academies." She drew her shoulders up in a shiver. "Parents these days are overdoing it."

"I think I did about four... English, aikido, singing, and maths tutoring. It was a trade-off. My father said if I wanted to sing, I had to do martial arts, too." His voice struck a lone note of bitterness.

"Do you resent him a lot?" Jaehee asked softly.

"I don't. I think he knew what was best for me." Baekhyun's eyes hardened. "I resent him for drinking his life away, though. What that did to my mother."

Jaehee squeezed his hand as they came to a halt before a door. "This is my classroom." 

Inside was a jungle of primary school delight, all bubble letter signs and exuberant colors. Baekhyun followed her to the sink at the back of the room and watched as she pulled a deep blue vase from a shelf. "One of my students gave me flowers on Teacher's Day," she explained. She filled it with the bouquet of wild lilies and set it on her desk. 

"It's very you," Baekhyun said as he looked all around. "Something about it all..."

"Well, it is mine," she teased, arching a brow. "Don't you have a flower crown hanging somewhere in your office?"

Baekhyun snorted and leaned on a miniature chair. "I have a plant. I think it came with the office." When he'd first been promoted, it was already there. His only possessions were the extra dress shirts and the bottle of whiskey in his drawer. In a way those had come with the position, too.

Jaehee paused, her gaze soft as she watched him. "That's not like you at all."

"There's a lot there that's not like me." His thoughts quickly turning maudlin, he shook his head. "Let's go find some place to sit and talk?"

 

The cafe Baekhyun chose had a nondescript storefront but boasted a large balcony overlooking a fountain. It was a place known for executive meetings and exclusive clientele, and Baekhyun chose it to ensure there was no chance he would run into Chanyeol. It was a big city, but his world was unnervingly small. He wasn't going to take chances, not anymore.

They found a small table overlooking the fountain. Baekhyun ed his suit jacket and leaned back in his chair, watching the light dance on the water behind Jaehee.

"I wanted to tell you what happened yesterday. It's not an excuse. I just... I need to talk to someone about it." He searched her face, hopeful as her eyes studied him. When she nodded, he let out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding.

"Yesterday, I had to end a girl's career," he said, watching the foam float on his latte. "I had to tell her myself that she was going to be removed from her group."

"What did she do?" Jaehee frowned.

"Nothing. That's the problem. Perhaps all she ever did wrong was to hope." Baekhyun felt hollow inside, an echo of anger, beaten to numbness. "It's because she's gay and she wasn't careful to hide it."

Jaehee's eyes widened with realization, then softened. "I'm sorry, Baek-ah. That must have been awful for you." She reached over and covered his hand with her own.

"I felt sick about the whole thing." He closed his eyes. "They called this emergency meeting in t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter