17. Work [Season 2]

Phoenix Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Season 2

Chapter 17: Work

Baekhyun had scarcely managed to get one arm out of his coat, damp with chill morning mist, when his phone rang out shrilly. Wrangling his arms out of the grey peacoat hastily, he reached across the desk and pressed the button for speaker.

 

"Executive Byun," CEO Park's voice boomed across the interoffice line. "I'd like to see you in my office."

 

"Ah, yes sir," Baekhyun quickly hung the coat on the back of his chair. "Is something the matter?"

 

"No, no. Just come." The line went silent with a click. Baekhyun sat down heavily in his chair. For a moment, his hands hovered aimlessly over the desk, then pressed to his temples, fingertips raking back through his hair. His pulse leapfrogged as he ran through all possible causes for the summons. He glanced to and fro and unsettled the items on his desk as he searched for a notepad. Finding a small pad of yellow college rule, he snatched it up and rattled the pens in their holder as he sifted out a black ballpoint. Sliding his phone into his pants' pocket, notepad tucked under his arm, he headed out of his office and closed the door behind him.

 

Striding down the hall to the CEO's sprawling corner office, there was a skip in his step that had little to do with joy and a lot to do with nerves. His guesses ranged from bad to worse. He knew he had yet to sign an artist, a fact that hung over him like an ominous storm cloud, ready to burst at any moment. At the fore of his mind was his newest folly and transgression - he was cheating on his fiancée. Better yet he was cheating on his fiancée with a man. There were so many potholes in his path that he was left pondering which one CEO Park had stumbled upon. His rational mind dictated that it was his failure to find the next big thing, but there were few barriers between personal and professional lives. While he wasn't a particularly visible figure, the label and the CEO were, thus by extension he too was subject to a certain rubric of conduct. Baekhyun was quite sure that his conduct of late fell far short of the mark of acceptable behavior. Surely someone had spotted him and the anvil of divine retribution was about to fall on his head. Since he'd given in to the wiles of a certain auburn-maned musician, he'd been walking on eggshells, peering around corners, and waiting for the other shoe to drop. One didn't simply waltz into temptation and waltz back out unscathed, after all.

 

Maybe he was going to get fired. But that, he reasoned, must have been the nerves talking.

 

The walk of shame down the hall had never seemed so long - nor so unnervingly short. By the time he reached the glass door that sat slightly ajar, he was so worked up he could've run ten laps around the block. "Sir?" He knocked on the door.

 

"Ah yes, Executive Byun, come in." CEO Park waved a broad, beckoning hand from where he stood by the tall windows of his office, overlooking Seoul south of the river. "Shut the door, would you."

 

Baekhyun nodded quickly and closed the door, making sure to do so quietly, before approaching the CEO's desk. CEO Park kept his eyes on clouded skies and busy streets, hands clasped behind his back.

 

"Baekhyun," he said, releasing a sigh as though he was shrugging the burden of the earth off his shoulders for a moment's rest. The sigh seemed very much connected with his name. Baekhyun bit the inside of his lip and fought back the urge to fidget.

 

"How long have you been with us?"

 

"I believe it'll be... two years in May, sir." Baekhyun blinked as he followed CEO Park's line of sight, wondering what it was out there in the sprawling grey city that held his attention.

 

"Two years," the CEO hummed, nodding to himself. "And in that short time you've come quite far."

 

Baekhyun nodded, after a pause. "I have tried, sir."

 

"Mm, yes, I am aware. Your work with Executive Lee and Kris was highly spoken of," the CEO replied. "When the position opened up last year, I had no doubt you would bring unflagging dedication to fill the role." He turned partway towards Baekhyun, the greyish light of morn glancing off one timeworn cheek. Park Ji Il was not particularly old, no more so than Baekhyun's own parents, however his face suggested a certain weathered wisdom at times. Trial, tribulation and tiredness etched fine lines at the corners of his eyes. He wore his salt and pepper hair well, with thin rimmed glasses and a suit. His eyes were sharp and visionary behind those lenses, and Baekhyun felt as though the man was looking through him rather than at him on those occasions where they came face to face. His impressive stature aided in this delusion - the man was of exemplary height, befitting the stereotype of CEO's. Baekhyun, on the other hand, was tall only amongst women.

 

"You expect success and perfection of yourself and your work," the man said as he strode slowly towards the desk. He smoothed one hand over the other - a thick, plain platinum wedding band glinting under office lights - then sat. He nodded toward Baekhyun, who cautiously seated himself in the chair across from the man.

 

"But you know, it is not that which sets you apart, Baekhyun." CEO Park folded his forearms on the desk. Baekhyun squirmed under his stare, and held his breath. "You have an eye for art, and a head for business. It is a rare combination I have not seen in many. There are plenty of businessmen and as many more artists, but precious few with both eyes open."

 

Baekhyun blinked at the man, startled by the unexpected praise. I have a heart for art, too, the unbidden thought came to mind, that's why I can't sign anyone.

 

"Baekhyun, I have high expectations for you." The CEO sat back in his chair. "I see the potential in you to do great things. You may be young but you're heading in the right direction in life - don't let anything distract you from your course." The older man cautioned with a smile and a hint of something akin to paternal pride. "Though on the matter of distraction - I heard you are getting married soon."

 

Moved as he was by the CEO's encouraging words, Baekhyun opened and closed his mouth in surprise as the conversation suddenly turned to his personal affairs. "Yes, in September." He dipped his head with a polite smile.

 

"Ah. Good, good." CEO Park hummed in his deep voice, pleased. "Congratulations. I would be proud if you were my son." He cleared his throat. "As it is, you'll find a small bonus in your next paycheck. Consider it an incentive for your continued dedication to the job." He smiled. "And something to put towards your honeymoon. After which I won't let you take a day off for a year. You'll be too busy with your newly signed artist, I expect." He arched a brow.

 

Baekhyun grinned sheepishly, and lifted a hand to the back of his neck. "Thank you, sir," he dipped his head in a short bow. "Really, I am so grateful. I will do my best. I have some great leads, I just haven't found the one that's just right."

 

"There isn't always one that's just right," CEO Park mused. "Sometimes, success is in the imperfections."

 

Baekhyun bid his boss good day and bowed again in gratitude before he took his leave. He felt like he was walking on air - but thin air. He knew CEO Park had taken a shine to him to have g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter