.04

Fatal attraction

 

 

 

 

The ringing startled Yoonji awake from her sleep. Without looking at the caller, because she already knew who it was by listening to the caller’s ringtone; she answered the phone.

“Hi mom.”

“Jia!”

She winced at her mother’s usual loud greeting and the nickname she used on her. No one called her Jia other than people close to her. While the others noticed she didn’t like it and  stopped calling her by that name, or at least in front of her, her mother liked it thus the reason she was still using the name every time she spoke to Yoonji. She was stubborn, just like her daughter.

 

“This is the second time I’m calling you honey. Are you alright? You don’t sound okay.”

“Just a headache, mom. But I’m alri-”

“Han Yoonji, don’t you even think about lying to me again. I’m the one who carried you for nine months and you think I wouldn’t know that my baby is not okay by just listening to her voice?”

 

Yoonji groaned and sighed. “But I’m really okay, mom. It’s just my meal’s routine is a little messed up for the past few days. A little busy at the office but I’m -”

She heard her mom’s heavy sigh at the other line and she closed shut. “Do you remember the last time you were  sick? You had to eat the whole big chunk of ginger while lying on the floor!”

Yoonji grimaced at the horrible memory and when she spoke again, her voice scratchy with panic. “Alright, alright. I’ll go to the clinic, but only after I get back from work.”

“You are so stubborn, Jia. Just remember to go to the clinic or expect to see me at your house tomorrow and I don’t think you would want that.”

 

Yoonji’s lips curled into a big smile when she heard her mother’s laughter.

“Wait, are you still at the house? Honey, it’s already eight o’clock.  Aren’t you going to the office?”

 

Shocked, she looked at the clock and her eyes widened in disbelief. She had never been late to work and she certainly didn’t want to start now. Hurriedly, she tried to sit up but immediately regretting the decision when she felt the painful stab above her abdomen. She knew it would happen sooner or later. After experienced it before, she should have known. Not caring on how she looked, she grabbed her purse and headed to the nearest clinic.

 

 

 

 

Back at the apartment, the ringing of her phone went unnoticed by her as she unpacked the groceries into the cabinet. The pressure and pain had lessened, thanks to the doctor’s immediate willingness to check up on her. She must have looked really ill when she arrived because the first question she heard from the nurse was whether she needed a wheelchair or not. Politely, she had refused the kindness. She didn’t think it would be necessary, although she didn’t blame the nurse for asking her that because she herself was surprised by how pale she looked like when she saw a glimpse of her face on the mirror. She had been given two days off from the doctor and she was hoping to get the much needed rest she had lost for the past week. After making sure the door was locked, she wanted nothing more than to crawl on her bed and sleep. Her legs felt almost as heavy as her eyelids, which had begun to drift off on their own accord.

When she got to her room, the ringing of her phone snapped her back to reality. Clumsily, she ran to her room and without looking at the caller, she answered the phone.

 

“Where the hell are you?”

 

 

 

 

It was near twelve in the afternoon when she arrived at the building. There weren’t many people at the moment because they were mostly out for lunch at this hour. Going straight to his office, she couldn’t help but to notice how messy her table was.

After two knocks on the door, she went it and was greeted by her boss’s glaring gaze. She was in silent for a while as she took in his appearance. The tie around his neck has loosened, his creamy white linen shirt was tucked neatly but a few of the upper buttons were undone. Both of his sleeves were rolled up in each side. His shoulders tightened and his eyes were narrowed a little as he looked at her before he straightened his body.
 

For the first time in her life, she felt unnerving by someone’s appearance.

 

“Could you explain to me why my file wasn’t at its place? Or specifically, this file.”

He threw the file across his table, so harshly she flinched from her standing.


“I thought it was lost. Stolen even. I had to call the other company to check for me about the file’s whereabouts but of course, I would find it on your table. Last time I check, there was no specific order for you to remove it from its original place. Or to touch it, even. Now please enlighten me HanYoonji sshi, why was the file on your table? Your co-workers were scolded over nothing because of your irresponsible mistake.”

 

Yoonji bit her inner cheek and her eyes were downcast lower to the ground. She acknowledged that it was truly her mistake this time. She shouldn’t have touched the file at the first place. She knew it was confidential and important just from the big and bold sign on its cover.

However, she couldn’t take the risk when the repair crew came over to fix his office two days ago.
 

“I’m so sorry, Mr. Nam.” Was all she could say.
 

 “You came in late today. You didn’t pick up your phone. You messed up with my files, and you are sorry for that? I don’t take sorry as an answer and quite frankly, I expected better than that.”

 

Without saying anything further, Woohyun stood from his chair and went to grab his jacket. Yoonji looked up and her heart shattered into pieces when she saw the disappointment look inside his eyes. Her eyes swelled with unshed tears that she was holding on to. Her lips quivered but she quickly bit onto them. When their gazes met, his eyes narrowed as he studied her face.
 

“I’m not feeling very well for the past days. I went for a checkup and was granted two days off. I should have called the office to let them know but I forgot. I’m truly sorry, Mr. Nam. I can assure you that this won’t happen again.”
 

He drew in a deep breath and step closer to her. Hastily, she took out something from her bag and extended her hand to give it to him. It was the slip she got from the doctor. She blinked, startled, when she saw his icy cold gaze hardened as he reached for the paper in her hand. Frowning, he checked the paper before it was crushed and tossed inside the dustbin.

 

“You can go home now and rest as much as you want. Come back when you are feeling well enough.”

His sarcasm was thick at the end and that was her undone. A tear slipped from her eyes as he brushed past her and went out from the room. Her heart slammed against her chest as she in a deep breath.

 

 

When she went out of his room, the office was packed with her co-workers. Lunch time was over, she thought. Some shot her a pity look but some were not as kind. She had expected that though. She’d heard dissatisfied voices were raised when she was chosen but she just shrugged them off.
 

Picking up the files that took mostly half of her table, she went inside his room once again and neatly arranged them on his table. Not forgetting about the notes she had written down for his reference, she clipped it alongside the files. Before she went out, she went over to the dustbin and picked up the paper and wrote something on it. It was placed on the most noticeable spot on his table.


 

Mistakes won’t bring you down, Han Yoonji. Lesson learned and make sure it won’t happen again. Toughen up and hold your chin high.

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've decided to do short update for a chapter from now on but I will update regularly.