Interesting

Touch of Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Luckily, the day, that began so great, continued to be good for Ara. Nothing special happened at school, when she walked past Hyejin, the said one gave her an apologetic smile, and also her shift at her part-time job went smoothly. With a content sigh, Ara walked to the train stop.

 

Once she sat down, she leaned her head against the window and looked out of it. It was a comfortable September evening, neither too cold, nor too warm, just the good middle. It was the first time in days that Ara felt so … relieved. She really hoped that it'd stay this way.

 

Arriving at the flat, she opened the door and stepped in, mumbling a soft, “I'm home.”

 

Hearing her mother's voice from the kitchen, she put the keys on the table and went there. “Hey, Mom,” Ara said and looked at what her mother cooked. How long had it been since she last ate her mother's food? She couldn’t even recall how it tasted exactly. The only memory she still had was the fact that it tasted wonderful.

 

“They accepted me at the supermarket,” Mrs. Park said, a smile playing around her lips. Ara, who just opened the refrigerator, turned her head. “Oh really?” She took out a package of orange juice, mumbling to herself, “That's good.”

 

Mrs. Park nodded her head lightly. She liked how Ara seemed to be happier today. It wasn’t often to see her daughter's face so … relaxed. Although Ara wasn’t smiling, there was a distinct difference between her when she was stressed and when she felt relaxed.

 

A comfortable silence fell upon the two of them, and Ara just sat down and watched as her mother cooked the food. The fried vegetables and pork belly smelled wonderful, as well as the seaweed soup. Remembering something, she stood up and took the Kimchi out of the refrigerator. Holding the Kimchi box in her one hand, she opened the drawer and took out three pairs of chopsticks. Hyejin would come home soon as well.

 

Having put the Kimchi, the bowls, the rice cooker and the chopsticks on the table, she went back to the kitchen to help her mother get the other dishes. Just then the door opened. “I'm home,” Hyejin happily said as she slipped out of her shoes, placing them next to Ara's afterwards.

 

“It smells wonderful.” Before she sat down, she tapped Ara's shoulder, making the latter turn her head. “Huh?”

 

“Unnie, I'm really sorry for behaving like that. I mean, I know you're worried, and I thought about it for the whole night. Yeah, I'm not going,” she slowly said, looking at the ground. Ara sighed. Hyejin didn’t have to feel so guilty; it wasn’t like she was the only one at fault. Ara knew that she should have more trust in her little sister, but to her Hyein would always be her baby sister, who was too kindhearted and naive for her own sake.

 

“It's okay. I'm … sorry, too,” Ara mumbled and patted her sister's shoulder. The latter flinched barely noticeable and nodded her head. “It's okay, really. You don’t have to look so … guilty,” Ara said again, but the look in Hyejin's face didn’t disappear.

 

Mrs. Park leaned against the door-frame and watched the scene with a smile gracing her pale face. She loved both of her daughters really, really much. And it felt so good to be at home, to see them everyday, to cook for them – to act like a proper mother.

 

-

 

Much to Ara's disappointment, the following day wasn’t as nice. The sun was hidden behind thick, gray clouds and her headache from the other day came again. And of all things, that Lee Byunghee had to appear next to her seat again. He deliberately pulled her chair to him as Ara wanted to sit down. Not even sparing him one glance, the girl grabbed the chair. Byunghee put his foot on it. “Heard that one teacher bragging about your grades again. You must feel oh-so-good, huh? Always being in the top five,” he hissed. Ara mentally rolled her eyes. Was it always going to be this way? Why the hell was he being jealous of her grades?

 

Although Lee Byunghee never made it in the top five (he always ended up getting sixth place), he had everything else in life, didn’t he? Family, money, friends, and whatnot. Just why was he so intent on surpassing Ara in the rank? Why didn’t he enjoy the minutes no teacher was there? It was the pressure. He wanted to be in the top five, no matter what. And after consecutively failing to do that in three years, he just needed someone to vent it out. And that just had to be Ara …

 

Grabbing a chair from another desk, Ara sat down and propped her head up. She made a men

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter