Gratitude

Touch of Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why are you smiling to yourself?” Sehun whispered, snapping Ara out of her thoughts. The girl's eyes widened and her lips parted in surprise before she bit on her lower lip and averted her gaze, slightly embarrassed. “Oh, it's nothing,” she mumbled, glancing at Sehun from the corner of her eye.

 

“Come on. I'd have to be blind not to see your excitement.” Sehun grinned and softly bumped Ara's side, causing the little upward turn of her lips to increase. The two of them were sitting next to each other because he had asked the teacher to let Ara take Miyoung's seat while the latter was missing from school. And for the first time Sehun had caught Ara losing concentration during class. For the girl not to look at the blackboard and instead to be smiling to herself, the reason had to be something big.

 

“Okay,” Ara sighed and stole a glance at the teacher who was just writing a exercise on the blackboard. The male his lips and a little smirk formed upon his lips. “Hyejin is going to confess to Kai today,” she whispered, “and I have the feeling that it's going to turn out well.”

 

Sehun's eyes rounded a little. “Really?”

 

Somehow, Sehun wasn't really surprised to see Ara almost excited at her little sister's confession. However, when he continued to think about it a bit, he realized, her current reaction towards the confession was almost the complete opposite of the one back then. But to him, it hadn't been a surprise. Why? Because he, as well, realized how much changed. They were different now. Things were different now. Life was different.

 

“That's great,” he whispered back, and his smirk turned into a content smile. He had known for a while that Kai sincerely liked Hyejin. However, he could see that his friend hadn't wanted things to change, thinking that it might turn out the way it did last time. So hearing that Hyejin wanted to confess was really great news.

 

"I also think, it's going to turn out well," Sehun agreed, and Ara's little smile appeared again. From all people Sehun knew Kai the best, so hearing what the male said, Ara's feeling of knowing that things were going to work grew even stronger. 

It was unlike Ara to let her thoughts drift away from class. But just now she really hadn't been able to keep her focus on the class as her thoughts had almost been constantly whirling around Hyejin and Kai after seeing the sticky note this morning. She was wishing for her little sister's happiness.


So, when the ball ring and thus signaled the end of the period, the girl inwardly sighed in relief. Just as she stepped out of the classroom, a certain thought made its way in her mind. A single word: where? As she silently wondered where the confession would take place, Sehun nudged her. "Hey, where do you think it's going to happen?"


Ara half snorted and half chuckled at how dumbly similar Sehun and her thoughts had been in this very moment. "Maybe in the library?" 


Before she could say something else, he already grabbed her hand and fastened his steps, pulling her with him. “Should we spy on them?” Sehun asked, a childish smirk playing around his lips. 


For a moment Ara only stared at him. Somewhere, deep inside of her, she also felt the small urge to spy on them, but not out of worry but just because she wanted to see Hyejin's reaction. However, it seemed too dumb to do, if it wasn’t for worry but for anticipation. The other reason Ara stared at him, having forgotten what to say, was because she noticed that Sehun was becoming more playful. Was it just her or did his boyish – yes, almost childish – side come out more often these days?
It wasn’t as if she minded, though. In fact, she liked seeing Sehun this way a lot.

When the two of them arrived at the library, Sehun felt utterly nostalgic. He still remembered perfectly how Ara had spied on Hyejin and Kai the day the latter apologized. How he had silently followed the girl, spying on her as she spied on them. When Sehun had been so content to have helped Ara upon seeing how relieved she was to see her little sister happy again. When he had seen her smile for a little longer than two seconds for the first time. 

It was the same corridor, the same entrance to the library. Only, this time Ara knew that they were together here and she was the one standing behind him this time. 

The male opened the door a tiny little bit and peeked into the library. It was empty … at least he had thought so, but as his gaze wandered to a corner of the library he could see two people. Kai and Hyejin. Leaning back, he motioned Ara to come closer. 

The girl arched her neck to peek into the library and as she spotted Kai and Hyejin, she smiled a little. The whole situation reminded her of the one back then when Kai apologized as well. Peeking through the small opening of the door felt like déjà-vu to Ara. 

She made some space for Sehun, and then the two of them watched Kai and Hyejin. Given, they felt childish doing that, but at the same time they enjoyed what they were doing. Among all the studying for exams, little childish actions like this were relieving.

-

Hyejin had been gnawing on her lower the whole time she'd been walking to the library, leading Kai. As the break had begun, she had immediately gone to Kai's classroom. And without further ado, she had asked him to follow her. However, now that she was in front of the library door, she could feel all the nervousness and slight panic rush through her, and slowly uncertainty was spreading inside her. 

Taking a deep breath, she pushed the door open and quickly walked to the nearest spot. As she halted and turned around, she was met with Kai's wondering expression.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter