Familiarity

Touch of Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Monday arrived quickly. A tad too quickly for Ara, as she wasn’t all too keen on going on the trip. She had to cancel two shifts of her part-time job for two days in a forest, therefore losing the pay for those two days. The trip didn’t seem as if it would result in more than her lost pays. So, naturally, the girl didn’t like it. However, since she didn’t have any other choice, there was no use in complaining. Her rationality made her accept it quickly. Besides, her conscious was trying to find a few positive things in the trip. Maybe, it could even have a good effect on her. Maybe, she could distract her emotional part from the thoughts about Sehun and try to relish the nature. As if, Ara thought, unmotivated when she stepped out of the bus (of course a luxurious one) that brought her class and another one to the small forest here, far away from the city. Two other buses were parked several meters away, the remaining classes occupying them.

 

Soon, all third year students were gathered around the buses, and the teacher began to go through the checklist to make sure everyone was present and no one skipping. Then the rules for the rally were explained, as well as the schedule for the whole day. First, six foresters would guide the students – divided into six groups – through the forest, explaining and giving information about the trees and living organism – the students would have to take notes. Then, when they arrived at the wooden hut, they could take a break and eat something – food would be prepared. And afterward, they'd have to walk all the way back, having time to ask the foresters about things they hadn't understood during the first walk and try to memorize the way. After all that, they would have another break before the actual rally would begin. The rally consisted of answering twenty questions about the forest, each question hidden at a certain place they had come across earlier and each question concerning the place it is hidden at. The answer to a question would always hint the place of the next question. All questions and answers were made with much thoughtfulness. The hint for the place of the first question would be announced just before the rally begins. To make it a bit easier, the students would do the rally in teams of two.

 

Each student was equipped with a backpack that contained a one-person-tent, bedroll and tracker device. Even if the school was willing to do the same as a public school would do, there would still be a huge difference in the organization. From the buses to the high class equipment, everything was of good quality and prepared by the school. No public school would provide the students with such things, let alone a tracker device. The latter was for safety purposes as a cellphone wouldn’t work in the forest.

 

When the rally was finished, they'd all gather at the wooden hut again, food would be prepared for those who wanted and the wooden hut provided many restrooms for the students to use. Since the wooden hut didn’t have any bedrooms, all students would sleep outside with their tents.

 

Unsurprisingly, all the students were moody upon being forced to participate in such a childish game. And the fact that they had to camp out made it even worse. The majority came from an elite family, only used to the big mansions and nice bedrooms.

 

Ara wasn’t exactly motivated, but not as moody as most of the other students. The thought of sleeping in a tent didn’t bother her half as much as it did to the others. She was one of the first students to arrive at the spot they were told to go to after having been divided into groups.

 

A teacher would soon turn up, responsible to keep an eye on the group during the walk through the forest with the foresters. The other students took really long, Ara realized, and even after five minutes she and a few others were the only ones from thirty.

 

“Hello!” A voice suddenly said, and Ara turned around. The intern, Luhan, stood there, smiling at the few students. Ara looked at him for a while. Already on Friday she had thought that he looked a little familiar to her, but she couldn’t pinpoint it. So it might as well be her delusion, which was why she didn’t bother to think about it further.

 

However, it seemed as if he was only looking at her and not at the other students around her. Or was it just her imagination? Ara didn’t smile back and just stared at him, confused but not really caring. Luhan opened his mouth, seemingly ready to say something, when the remaining students all arrived. He then pressed his lips together and turned away from Ara, smiling at the other students and greeting them.

 

Ara averted her gaze as well and looked around the students, which, as she realized after a few seconds, was a mistake. Among the students was Sehun. He and Miyoung stood a bit further away from her, but still clearly visible. Ara turned her face away, only to be met with Lee Byunghee, who also just arrived. Instinctively, she turned away again and ended up looking into Luhan's direction, as any other direction would result in either seeing Sehun or Lee Byunghee. Fortunately, though, the group soon began to move, as the walk through the forest would begin any minute. They met the forester shortly before they entered the forest and after a short introduction, the tour began.

 

Due to avoiding both Sehun and Byunghee, Ara ended up walking near the intern. She hadn't intended to talk to him, but felt the need to answer when he asked her something. “You are the scholarship student, aren't you?” He asked her with a polite smile.

 

“Yeah,” Ara replied, her gaze resting on the male for a little longer than necessary. He really looked a bit familiar to her. Just a little bit. “I have also been a scholarship st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter